Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

No, I was too! :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I think it's more Rita Skeever continues to be a horrible human being who lies about any and everything to enhance the salaciousness of her writing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Pidmon posted:

That's a hell of a lot of heteroness right there. Are we gonna get another word of god three months from now saying "Oh, Rita didn't want to mudsling about anybody's sexuality"?

You mean other than Charlie?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I don't think there was any real attempt to hide Snape as a good guy in the early books. If anything he, and to a lesser extent Draco, served as perpetual red herrings for the real villains. In the first book for instance Harry is convinced Snape is the one trying to get the Stone for the entire book.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

We never saw what sort of teacher Moody was, since it was Barty Crouch Jr teaching in his place the whole time.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

As long as Rowling doesn't go down the Star Wars EU path of having Harry and crew continually face dark wizards threatening to gently caress everything up, each one more diabolical than the last, I'll be just fine with her exploring different parts of the big wide world she created.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

My reading of the Dursleys falls squarely into the Roald Dahl, and older, camp of horrible evil parents. Rowling just wrote them very vividly. And that entire first book really feels like a Roald Dahl riff, which doesn't quite square with where the series wound up.

I also have always thought that Dumbledore knew that Harry wasn't walking off to his death, that the AK would kill the Horcrux and not Harry.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Inveigle posted:

It's also possible that Petunia was super jealous of her sister Lily and Lily's magical abilities (and possibly their parents thought Lily's magic was cool).

She was, she even wrote Dumbledore a letter begging to be let into Hogwarts.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

That's mentioned towards the end of the fifth, or sixth book. Until Harry turns 17 (and I just now realized why Rowling made the age of maturity for wizards), if he spends like one month living with a blood relative of his mother he's got some level of protection from Voldemort and his crew.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

TheModernAmerican posted:

But no you're right, you got to hit kids for it to "count" or touch them, that's the only way to gently caress with people.

I'm pretty sure Dudley and his buddies beat Harry up on a regular basis so they covered the physical abuse angle as well.

Bad Wolf posted:

This is my theory too. The Dursleys were terrified of wizards in general, and Harry in particular. I think it's mostly down to Petunia.

They wanted him to be as "normal" and boring as possible,

The normal point is important too because the Dursleys were the types who placed tremendous importance on conformity, keeping up with the Joneses, etc. So having someone like Harry who existed outside their conception of normal polite society just didn't fit with their social aspirations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

bobjr posted:

Also the last movie, after trying to say that your House doesn't matter and that people can show traits from other Houses and we sort too early, they throw the Slytherins in the dungeons to the cheers and applause of the other students and teachers.

I'm sure a lot of that had to do with the Slytherins being the Carrows' enforcement squad during the year

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Right, Draco disarmed Dumbledore before Snape killed him and therefore Draco, unknowingly, became the master of the Elder Wand. When Harry snatched Draco's wand when they escaped Malfoy Manor he became the master of every wand Draco was in control of, including the Elder Wand. It's not that the Elder Wand rejected Voldemort, he was never its master.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wands being sentient has been a thing built into the books since the very beginning. The wand chooses the wizard and all that.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Plucky Brit posted:

Harry and Ginny's kids have names that are important to Harry, so you have to wonder at the nature of their relationship if Ginny doesn't get a say in naming her own kids. Also Albus Severus, named after two people who comprehensively ruined Harry's life.

I mean it makes sense they'd call the oldest kid James, and they both knew Sirius. Calling the daughter Lily is a little more creepy (since its naming kids after both of Harry's dead parents), but Luna was one of Ginny's best friends, and you'd think if Harry had the sole input he'd go with Hermione. And poor little Albus Severus, well Snape tried to save Harry's life on a couple of occasions and shielded Ginny and friends from the Carrows as best he could (like giving them detention with Hagrid when they tried to steal the sword). He also nearly killed Harry by hiding the sword in that pond, and was a complete dickbag to Gryffindor students in his class. And Dumbledore, did the best he could? Or Rowling named the kid what she did to have the whole "doesn't matter what House you end up in" speech.

PriorMarcus posted:

Its alright, Ginny will have a torrid affair with Neville when she's in her 30's and realizes she drew the short end of the world saviour stick. She's already his sloppy seconds.

Neville doesn't care enough about Quidditch to stick with Ginny.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

HIJK posted:

Tolkien's popularity got so intense that he had Americans calling his house in the middle of the night and British hippies literally camped on his lawn. It was a big deal.

But that was almost a decade after Lord of the Rings was first published. The books were certainly initially popular, but not the cultural phenomenon it became after the paperbacks were released.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The Ministry of Magic isn't part of the British government as such. We see Fudge talking to the Prime Minister at the start of Book 6 and it's basically a case where they function as their own government but have ties.

For no particular reason I always felt that the Ministry of Magic was a part of the British government that has over the years become mostly autonomous due to the nature of the secrecy statute.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Xachariah posted:

He didn't exactly try and take care of them like Hermione did with her parents, to say the least.

The Order took them into protective custody at the start of Deathly Hallows, and oh wouldn't that have been fun to read, Vernon Dursley spending a year being guarded by wizards.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Wedemeyer posted:

It does make me wonder if wizards were recruited into the World Wars.

Apparently World War 2 ran parallel to, and was linked with maybe(?), Grindelwald's reign of terror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Harry naming his kid after him never sat well with me for that reason.

He just wanted the kids initials to be ASP.

• Locked thread