Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Anyone who's a fan of Harry Potter and just a little bit of a 'sperger (this means you) should read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. It's arguably better written than the original series and twice as awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

quote:

The most annoying thing to me about the Harry Potter books is that there didn't seem to be any real rhyme or reason to the magic "system" and things seemed pretty formulaic when it came to what they would need to defeat whatever was going on in that book. Like, "oh they're learning about such and such in the first few chapters, I guess we now know what they'll use at the end of the book!".

Cobweb Heart posted:

This is probably the thing that annoys me the most about the series. I wish Rowling could have spend just a couple of paragraphs in the first few books explaining a bit more about how magic works, because as it is, it seems ridiculously overpowered and the reader's forced to assume there are all sorts of rules that the book never actually states. There are a lot of things mentioned briefly that seem like they should just completely ruin the way magic works - like the fact that wizards can direct magic through any implement, not just wands, or the fact that there are Time-Turners and nobody uses them for the main plot except once in the third book, even though there's a pivotal point in the fifth where every character runs right past vats of them.

You should both read the fic I posted a link to above.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I hate this thing so goddamn much, it's like :spergin: and :smug: had a baby and love to whip pictures of it out at every opportunity to show how awesome and clever they are.
I don't find this offensive when something really is awesome and clever. Better than false modesty.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

coffin posted:

How does this awful mess have such a following?! How can anyone say that it's better than the actual Harry Potter?
It is better. I tried to reread Deathly Hallows recently and it was so poorly written I couldn't even get past chapter one. MoR on the other hand is one of the best things I've ever read (although it's certainly not perfect).

edit: I definitely see why the typical self-loathing nerd-culture-cringing goons would hate it though. In fact, this is probably the one place on the internet where it would get the most hate (but a fair few fans too).

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 10, 2011

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

zachol posted:

Rationality is hilariously bad if Rational!Harry is meant to be any sort of a positive character. The only part I really enjoyed was when he completely misread Snape's connection to his parents and got smacked down.
Having a character be clever and pull of something often is alright if he isn't doing it all the time. R!Harry wins basically all the time. If he actually fumbled more often it would be a lot more interesting to read. As it stands, this Harry is just another bad Mary Sue written in an especially clever way.
That's funny, plenty of people have complained that MoR-Harry *loses* too much, and could he please win for once. I guess you can't please everybody.

Really, I understand people's objections - Harry is pretty drat obnoxious at a times, there are info-dumps and author tracts and weird or uncomfortable bits. But gently caress all that, it's still better than canon (and pretty much objectively better written, characterization preferences aside) and infinitely more important in the grand scheme of things. If it makes a few dozen (future) important people more rational it'll arguably do more good for the world than the canon has ever done.

edit: I still give plenty of credit to JKR for finding this space though. It's really a neat little universe. Maybe it could have been found earlier, but it wasn't.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 16, 2011

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pththya-lyi posted:

ShardPhoenix, why on Earth do you like that fic?
It's good. It's funny and smart and the characters and deeper and better drawn than they are in cannon. And it's not just me - the quantity of reviews suggests that it's just about the most popular fanfic of all time relative to how long it's existed.

edit: The author is from a site that's about 75% programmers or similar, so maybe that kind of hyper-literal mindset is necessary to enjoy it. On the other hand, the high level of popularity (including, judging from the reviews, among the sub-literate) suggests otherwise.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 16, 2011

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Paragon8 posted:

Saying that only "typical self-loathing nerd-culture-cringing goons" would hate it is an odd way to deflect any criticism. I don't hate it at all, I just think it's awful. It's not because people don't like "nerd culture" or that they're "self loathing" it's that it is loving terrible.
Yeah, sorry for the preemptive lashing out, but I'm pretty tired of this forum's attitude of being the "cool nerds" who look down on other nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Hedrigall posted:

I have no idea what the hell that means or what you're trying to say here, but I'm gonna assume it boils down to :spergin:
I see you're proud of your non-comprehension of trivial statements. Perhaps you should continue to read popular children's literature.

:v:

edit: I guess if it helps you understand, MoR is for people who are more concerned about what's true than what's cool. So yes, :spergin: for a sufficiently loose definition of :spergin:.

ShardPhoenix fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 16, 2011

• Locked thread