Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I'd hestitate to call Snape's attitude toward Harry as "hate". Harry represented a tremendous torturous pain that the guy lived through every waking minute. If he's not seeing Harry at school, he's hearing about him from others, newspapers, etc., and if he's not hearing about him, he's haunted by his memories of James, Lily, James and Lily, himself and Lily. And of course compounded being told by Dumbledore (and likely understanding and believing it) of the importance of protecting Harry because it was the only way to defeat Voldemort.

Harry recognized this when he told his son that he was named after two of the bravest men he'd ever known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Paragon8 posted:

It makes you wonder if there is a general decline in wizarding knowledge of if most wizards are basically poo poo with only a few outliers per generation becoming exceptional wizards largely though them studying beyond Hogwarts.
Along with what Szmitten says, perhaps that's intentional? Like Hogwarts (or the other Wizarding schools) needs to encourage the next Voldemort.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
My experience with the first three Harry Potter books and movies solidified my attitude toward all film adaptations: If I read or am familiar with the source material and/or have a positive attachment to them, I have no interest in the adaptations.

I can catch a few minutes or even most of a film on TV but it's almost background noise that I can turn off at any minute. I have no interest in going to a theater or buying/renting videos.

None of it compares to experience of reading.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

jivjov posted:

I've always kinda looked at magic, and the process of creating new spells, similarly to how Dresden Files does it. The big thing is the intent of your will pushing out on the magical energy in the world, and the reason spells have names and the like in the Harry Potter universe is because it's literally taught in a primary/secondary school setting. Like everyone learns "swish and flick and wingardium leviosa makes things fly", but a teen with aptitude that had never had instruction could make the same thing happen by saying "swooshy swish" if he wanted, as long as he was envisioning it happening.
That sounds spot on. Isn't that exactly what Tom Riddle was doing when Dumbledore found him?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker

Guy A. Person posted:

The time I was specifically thinking about is when someone jinxed her buck teeth to grow out of control, and when Harry/Ron asked if she could go to the nurse, Snape says "I don't see any difference". That's just needlessly drat cruel.
That sounds more like SOP for House rivalry to me. I could see McGonagall saying the same thing about a Slytherin.

• Locked thread