Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Butcher tackles this really well, actually. The faeries in The Dresden files are really affected by cold iron, and so Harry runs off to Wal Mart and buys a bunch of box cutters to arm his little army of defect faries with, so they can cut the poo poo out of the big bad ones. And then there's the scene where one of the normals ends up driving a jeep (I think. It's a car at least) into this monster, pinning it between the car and a wall, and then using a goddamn chainsaw on it.

Really, the series marries magic and technology very well.

That's all in book 4, too. It gets better from there.

Though you are mixing up a few things. Hitting a monster with a car and using a chainsaw on a monster are two separate occurances, with two separate monsters. I'll forgive you because the two fights do happen as part of the same setpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

A large part of me has always wondered why it's so bad to use the Imperius Curse on someone, controlling their actions temporarily, but modifying someone's memory permanently, which can entirely change a person, isn't just okay, but encouraged at many levels. There's a whole department at the Ministry dedicated to modifying memories, after all!

• Locked thread