Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ShardPhoenix posted:

Anyone who's a fan of Harry Potter and just a little bit of a 'sperger (this means you) should read Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. It's arguably better written than the original series and twice as awesome.

There are two here http://fp.fanficauthors.net/ that are extremely well written. It's a shame his "Years of Rebellion" will probably never get finished due to his health. That and it's probably ~500k+ words. It picks up right after Order of the Phoenix and the first 30 chapters is just the summer after.

It's worth the read if you like a lot of character depth (especially with secondary characters) and well thought out political machinations as well as diving into Goblin culture gambling. It makes Voldemort more of a threat like he was in the Deathly Hallows and isn't afraid to kill off characters. And deals especially well with Sirius' death instead of the gloss over it felt like in the Half-blood Price.

geeves fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

reflir posted:

I don't really talk about Harry Potter on the internet anymore but as an obsessive test destroyer I couldn't resist... and apparently I know a lot of characters that are mentioned fewer than 12 times. I haven't read a Harry Potter book in two and a half years, so cut me a little slack

The first ten minutes were fun, because I could just enter any name that came to mind and it'd be on there, but after the first 150 it was really really slowgoing and frustrating. Bogrod over Rodolphus and Rabastan Lestrange, are you loving serious? Broderick Bode? Warrington is apparently mentioned 22 times, which I suspect isn't true because his cornflake skin is referenced exactly one whole loving time from what I can remember. Dawlish I legitimately forgot, which seems fitting somehow.

edit: Derrrp, Warrington is of course a quidditch player :downs:

There was at least one glaring omission I think - Seamus - maybe a few others for some of these lesser-mentioned characters.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Harashaw posted:

But why would she allow Twilight to happen?

To re-enforce the lesson of "what is right and what is easy".

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Paragon8 posted:

Did Harry Potter serve as a tipping point for deranged shipping?

I'm largely ignorant of that side of things (thankfully so it seems) but I can't really remember people being so vocal about fictional character's love lives before HP.

I think it's when it really hit the masses. When I got to college in '97 I knew people who would write X-Files shipping action. The first 'slash' story I saw was Mulder / Skinner action. :gonk:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Dimentia posted:

I also have a theory that Dumbledore used an Unbreakable Vow to ensure Snape's loyalty.

That strikes me as very out of character for Dumbledore. He was always about choice. He knew how broken Snape was and gave him opportunity to find some sort of redemption / peace.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

With Snape, every good action he did was in direct opposition to his nature and what he wanted to do. Dumbledore had to drag him along by the scruff of his neck and constantly remind him of Lily in order for him to do the right thing. He took every opportunity he could to make student's lives miserable at Hogwarts, not just Harry.

Maybe early on? I don't know it's not really shown. Snape came to Dumbledore in a panic about the prophecy when Voldemore decided to target the Potters.

In one of Snape's last memories it's clearly Snape who reminds Dumbledore that he's been doing it all for Lily.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

So..in the end, all those people died and so many suffered...because the key to immortality was in the loving library for anyone to read.

Thanks, inexplicable 'Restricted Section'.

Then Dumbledore went back to his "For the greater good" roots and decided that censorship was best.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Marchegiana posted:

I figure it's like this: The first time Voldemort used Avada Kedavra, Harry was fully prepared to die. The elder wand was therefore acting within it's true master's wishes. The spell worked because Harry expected it to. That's also why Voldemort didn't win ownership of the wand after blasting Harry with it. The second time around, Harry chose to deny Voldemort the ability to use the elder wand against him, and so the wand followed its master's wishes yet again.

I have two theories.

1 - The Elder Wand would not have killed Harry - it saw the part of Voldemort in Harry and killed that instead. The Killing Curse is still powerful though and knocked Harry out and it gave him the opportunity to succumb to the curse or chose to live.

2 - Dumbledore's plan was for him to die willingly at the hands of Snape, thus the Elder wand would have "died" with Dumbledore. Malfoy screwed that up. Later, Harry knew he was the master of the Elder Wand from his conversation with Ollivander and speculated that if he died willingly like Dumbledore, and removed the last Horcrux, someone might have been able to take out Voldemort that night or soon after because of Voldemort's misplaced confidence in the Wand.

Aside from that

I think the reason that Voldemort could no longer hurt Harry or any of the other students, I don't think was the Wand's doing, it was Harry's sacrifice. Bringing things full circle. Actually, I think Harry says as much when he confronts him.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

I think Harry mighta got duped. The Cloak of Invisibility that's the third Hallow is claimed to be perfect. But Mad Eye's blue eye saw through it in year 4. I don't think that's the Hallow, Harry old pal.

Dumbledore also saw / knew that they were there in Hagrid's cabin

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

I just finished the Prince's Tale. Oh god :cry:

"After all this time?"
"Always."

The most heartbreaking five words of dialogue ever written.

That and it was Snape who Petunia overheard talking about the Dementors really surprised me

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I have mine made from actual mudbloods. The pages are made from mudbloods, cover from blood traitors.

Is that the edition written in goblin blood?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

THE HORSES rear end posted:

Didn't Rowling imply that the Muggles would win? Rowling said that in a fight between a trained Wizard and a muggle trained to use weapons, the Muggle would win.

Never heard that. We're also never given a clear reference on how fast spells travel (speed of thought? light? sound? something else?). Everything is ambiguous at best. Everyone has plenty of time to react to and dodge the spells. But if a learned wizard was knowingly going against gun, etc. I'm sure they'd have adequate defense surrounding them.

Casting spells really does seem like boxing, martial arts or fencing. Even if you're throwing the killing curse, you're maneuvering your opponent for the actual kill strike - chess if you will - knowing you're not going to take them out on the first hit.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

I actually liked the camping scenes and thought they did a good job of conveying Harry's fear and frustration. The part with Naomi in the book was goddamn terrifying, in the movie it was kindof meh

Yeah when Ron turned up out of the blue by throwing a knife into her back completely surprised me.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Zore posted:

Worse, it was said both that they were multiplying due to the terror and fear that was spreading after book six and yet one of the few established things about them is they can't be destroyed. So you've got an ever increasing number of soul sucking monsters that can barely be held off by a fraction of a fraction of the human population. That's the real threat in these books, screw Voldemort the Dementors should be causing a near apocalypse.

Snape mentioned there were other ways (if only one) of fending off if not destroying a dementor on HBP, but it - like many other thigns - seemed to be dropped.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

IRQ posted:

7.1 was gar-

Now please put on extremely dark tinted sunglasses and stare at this sentence for 20 minutes.

-bage.

This post is intended to simulate the experience of watching Deathly Hallows part 1.

3 is indeed the best though.

PoA might have been - but it completely butchered the them of the book (Harry discovering his father and friends after two book being mainly focused on his mother's eyes). The end was a complete clusterfuck and themeless in that it squandered potentially great performances by Spall and Oldman and Thewlis (sp).

Seriously, what was the point about Lily's mention by Lupin? Other than idiocy? It doesn't fit. PoA was Harry's journey of finding his father in a way that is then screwed up in OotP and Snaps memories.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The Ginny Bird thing sounds kind of Tolkien-ish (finding a way to cheat old age)

The Tom thing is loving...I can't even describe how stupid it is. "Child throws childish tantrum. THE DARK LORD RETURNS!"

And all I can think about was that retarded episode of Dexter last season when his infant son may or may not have scratched another kid while playing and he instantly thinks he has a dark passenger too. :downs:

geeves fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 21, 2011

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SystemLogoff posted:

Sigh. There is no good fanfiction (in general) is there?

Years of Rebellion and The Last Horcrux were two decent fan fiction stories and pretty well written, too.

Years of Rebellion was never finished as the author has major health problems. While it lingers quite a bit in the summer after book 5 and does suffer from some common fan fiction tropes, but it also pokes fun at itself. It's pretty political in a Game of Thrones kinda way. It also flushes out a lot of the secondary characters and gives them actual personalities in ways JKR never did.

The Last Horcrux is just a very bleak and brutal read. Reminded me a bit of The Road in how desolate everything is.

geeves fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 22, 2011

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Not only that, Voldemort was after the Elder Wand of the nuts for power brother, Harry had the cloak of the one who accepted death, and Snape, uh... Well, it kind of falls apart for the Ressurection Stone since he only stopped the curse on it from killing Dumbledore. 2 out of 3 ain't bad?

I guess you can say Harry himself was "Lily's ghost" with the whole eyes thing.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

blakout posted:

The thing that makes Harry's cloak special is it hides others

No, it was that as old as it is, it was still in excellent condition and that other cloaks lose their effectiveness over time.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

SassySally posted:

With Dumbledore and Moody I had the feeling that they sensed the magic, but that was it. They didn't actually SEE anything. Dumbledore mentions being able to sense powerful magic at other times. (cave by the sea)

I can't explain the map, though.

The cloak was never impervious to magic. Both Malfoy and Dumbledore were able to stun Harry or whatever in HBP.

I think Moody's eye was able to see through the cloak.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

It is open.

http://quill.pottermore.com/252

My name is KnightWizard80.

Not too bad. when do you find out which house you are a part of?

Am I retarded or are you supposed to be redirected to scholastic.com?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Thanks - Of course it would have been adblock.

None of the offered ones were good so WatchAuror201 it is. Though FlameQueen21 was tempting.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

And apparently she's having a bit of an identity crisis.

http://twitter.com/!/evy_lynch

EDIT: Holy poo poo look at that picture. :psyduck:

Holy poo poo that picture is awesome and creepy

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Didn't they put that in your original welcome email back when you got in?

Same thing with me - checked my email, no, they did not include my username in the email.

:wtc:

quote:

:v:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Goddammit, I'm in Gryffindor.

Elm wand with phoenix feather though.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Zore posted:

We, uh, already saw how he made most of his horcruxes. Myrtle fuelled the diary, his father and grandparents the Ring, the old gatekeeper Nagini, the woman with Hufflepuff's cup made that one, Harry's parents fueled Harry, and I can't remember if we explicitly saw the murders that fueled Ravenclaw's Diadem and the Locket but we saw at least 5/7 happen on-screen in some form already.

After the murder it looks like the receptacle just has to be nearby, and it can't require anything special because he managed to make one accidently.

No, there's a step missing after the murder that takes advantage of the tearing of your soul before placing the piece of it into what becomes the horcrux.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

However, for some reason it was not needed for Harry

That's true. I always accepted that Voldemort's soul was so unstable that it just ripped itself in two since the spell rebounded - one part fled to Albania, the other into the nearest living thing - Harry.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

So I ended up with a second account (one that I thought had failed - never got the initial welcome email). Got nearly the same questions (wrote them and answers down), answered completely differently and was still put into goddamn Gryffindor.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Szmitten posted:

I've been re-reading the books and am totally bummed the thread is quiet. :smith:

Anyway, reading them one after the other instead of with biannual gaps is kinda strange. I'm partway into Half-Blood Prince and I only just feel like the story is reaching its peak. The first 3, even 4, were a bit too childish, and 5 would have been cool if Harry were less stupid. You also really don't see Sirius overall as much as I thought we did.

When do you feel the story peaked and got really, really good, and is that also your favourite?

For me it was both PoA and GoF. I read them back to back just before OooP was released.

The whole shrieking shack scene was really powerful with Harry having murderous thoughts with crookshanks for getting in the way (very Voldemort like), the Sirius reveal and the "then you should have for them as we would have done for you!" then Harry countering his earlier thoughts with mercy for Pettigrew.

GoF... I knew in the back of my mind that Voldemort was going to return Thewhole graveyard scene was awesome. Not verbatim but "Lord Voldemort had returned" made me out the book down. Then adding Moody's" reveal was a nice counterbalance to Sirius' reveal.

Say what you will about Rowling and her prose, she knew how to tug at emotion and tell a hell of a story.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Fru Fru posted:

Looks like the ebook shop is open now. http://shop.pottermore.com/

I don't have an ereader, so I don't know if the prices are good. $8 for the first 3 books, $10 for the rest. They also have audiobooks which do seem really expensive but again I wouldn't really know.

Those prices are about par for the course for kindle books.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Blodskur posted:

I'm sure that it'd break their servers having people redownload their 850KB+ books more than 8 times, good on them for standing up and protecting their bank balances! Oh, what's that, most digital game providers allow you to redownload your games which are thousands of times bigger than that, unlimited times? Good to see that the ebook industry is still backwards.

I think that is pretty reasonable.

Granted I'd rather it be "active" on up to 8 devices rather than straight downloads. At least then if you have a habit of losing devices you don't get screwed further.

I think the "active" limit exists for some items on Amazon's Kindle store as I've gotten some warning messages when using my Kindle vs. iPhone for the Kindle App for my macbook.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Ya muggle borns can accidently use magic until they are 11. Also the trace just registered a spell being done in their residence.

It was Rowling failing to follow her own retard logic.

At first it was it was checking to see if magic was performed in a place where magic shouldn't be.

Then she changed it to it followed the witch / wizard until they were of age - the trace :downs: She changed one or two other things for plot convenience in book 7 too which for some reason bothered me because it had gone against everything written in previous books as well as interviews and her own drat website.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Good loving god. I am legit disgusted. gently caress that fanfic, and anyone who likes it.

I read the first couple of chapters years ago. Holy poo poo it was awful.

I've mentioned this fanfic author before in this thread, but this is probably better written than the actual books. He dealt with some major health issues years ago, but is finally getting around to finishing "Years of Rebellion". "The Last Horcrux" is just as good.

http://yourfanfiction.com/viewuser.php?uid=3147

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Bone grass posted:

Regulus and Tonks's mom were good Slytherins.

Regulus' mother was the psycho portrait in Grimmauld Place - he was Sirius' brother. I don't think we know to which house Andromeda belonged.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Twat McTwatterson posted:

I just re-read all 7 over the past month or so. Actually read the 7th one for the first time. Dunno why I never did back in 07.

Anyhow, I was just perusing this thread and noticed someone on page 1 saying that they loved the big explanatory parts at the end of the books. This, however, is the part I hated the most. It just didn't feel natural. All of a sudden here comes a massive gob of information that tries to make sense of everything that had happened up to that point. It just always seemed so rushed and tacked-on.

I also feel Order of the Phoenix to be the worst book. I understand why Harry was a douche in it, but I thought the whole prophecy part was poorly contrived.

Book 7 was incredible. I loved the Deathly Hallows part of it and the introduction of the three brothers, Cadmus, Antioch, and Ignotus. It really gave a deeper complexion to the whole world, something that will most likely never be tapped into. And I'm still a little confused as to why Harry doesn't die. Also very shocked at everyone that did die in that book. Crazy.

Harry was tied to Voldemort not only by the horcrux, but also by blood from when Voldemort created a new body at the end of GoF (Dumbledore's brief look of triumph). Because of Lily's sacrifice and Harry's blood running through Voldemort's new body, this gave Harry a magical lifeline of sorts to choose to live.

I kinda agree about the exposition dumps, but given that the story was told in limited 3rd and only through Harry's POV with exception of a few chapters in the last two books, it was necessary to explain a few things without seriously altering the structure of the books.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I always thought that when Voldemort "killed" Harry at the end of Hallows, it was just his the part of his own soul he was killing instead. Lily's sacrifice had nothing to do with it that time.

Voldemort destroyed his own soul by "killing" Harry. But, Lily's sacrifice had everything to do with it. It's stated in the following chapter.

You destroy the piece of soul by destroying the container in which it's kept (the horcrux). So, killing Harry under "normal" circumstances would have killed Harry and destroyed the fragment of Voldemort's soul. However, the magical blood bond between the two, tied Harry to Voldemort's life.

Edit: Then there was also the chance that the Elder wand recognized Harry and focused the curse on the non-Harry piece.... but who knows.

geeves fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 29, 2013

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Goddamn this is a nice new boxset and set of covers.

See all the covers bigger here: http://geekdad.com/2013/07/final-harry-potter-cover/

I'm kind of drooling over this boxset, but I wish the covers had been done for the UK versions of the books :sigh:

I'm only upset because Hagrid should much taller. But that's nitpicking. It really is a nice set. I've always like the idea of the adult minimal design covers.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

ashez2ashes posted:

She doesn't mention who it actually was...

Hagrid was raising them, but JKR said that Riddle was lying to implicate Hagrid because Riddle was the biggest drama queen Hogwarts ever taught.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I didn't get that impression at all from the film.

Neither did I. He's defying Voldemort to his face. He's allowed to stutter and poo poo his pants as I'm sure many others would as well. Neville was never without conviction, even in the Philosopher's Stone. He just lacked the proper self-confidence to speak with authority that the other characters had more naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Motherfu...

I kinda wish it was a new book though :\

What if Newt Scamander is played by Sir David Attenborough?

EDit: I would actually pay good money for an audio book of Fantastic Beasts narrated by him.

geeves fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 13, 2013

• Locked thread