Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.
I don't really talk about Harry Potter on the internet anymore but as an obsessive test destroyer I couldn't resist... and apparently I know a lot of characters that are mentioned fewer than 12 times. I haven't read a Harry Potter book in two and a half years, so cut me a little slack

The first ten minutes were fun, because I could just enter any name that came to mind and it'd be on there, but after the first 150 it was really really slowgoing and frustrating. Bogrod over Rodolphus and Rabastan Lestrange, are you loving serious? Broderick Bode? Warrington is apparently mentioned 22 times, which I suspect isn't true because his cornflake skin is referenced exactly one whole loving time from what I can remember. Dawlish I legitimately forgot, which seems fitting somehow.

edit: Derrrp, Warrington is of course a quidditch player :downs:

reflir fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Seamus Finnigan was on there, are you sure you spelled his name right?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

I actually like The Magicians better than the Harry Potter series. However, if Brakebills and Hogwarts existed in the same universe, Hogwarts would have no graduates.

Maybe Hermione.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Harashaw posted:

I'm pretty sure Rowling's said in an interview that in a one-on-one fight between the average gun-proficient Muggle and the average duel magic-proficient wizard, the Muggle wins.

Mind you, she's also said that about 3 people tops in Harry Potter have any common sense.

Can you provide links for either of these because I don't think you can!

Harashaw posted:

Wouldn't it be Thatcher in the first book?

no.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

There is only one wizarding school in the UK but Rowling is retarded with numbers. She's said that each year has forty students; five boys and five girls for every House. However, she's also said that there are 'about a thousand' students overall.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

If you really thought that you don't deserve to characterize what you do here as spergin', because it means you've forgotten both a) the qualifications required to become a healer ("ʹIt says here you need at least ʺEʺ at NEWT level in Potions, Herbology, Transfiguration, Charms and Defence Against the Dark Arts. [...]") and b) the fact that Fred and George only got a handful of OWLs between them, and never took the NEWTS.

You could make the argument that they'd become unregistered healers but that's exactly the kind of unsupported boring speculation that made me stop arguing about Harry Potter on the internet because that's what it always eventually comes down to.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Cap. Monocle posted:

and spells that can create food out of thin air,

The exceptions to Gamp's laws of elemental transfiguration state that this cannot be done!

In one of the earlier books however there is an instance of Molly conjuring sauce from her wand. Likely explanation: Rowling hadn't thought of it then. In-universe explanation: Molly, being a fat person, was watching her calories; since she obviously knew food can't be conjured from thin air because it violates a rule of elemental transfiguration the sauce she created could be applied liberally since it would disappear after a while like Leprechaun gold without being digested.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Pththya-lyi posted:

Muggle medicine makes wizards sick, and vice versa.

But this contradicts the canon, stitches worked on Arthur Weasley.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Still in the post I quoted muggle medicine and wizard medicine were treated as distinct natural kinds and the use of stitches would fall under the 'muggle medicine' kind, so the point stands. Molly's ignorance of what stitches are speaks for this interpretation.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Hey guys remember that scene in the books where they're lions?

Because I don't :confused:

Does "The Polyjuice Potion" in Chamber of Secrets count? :v:

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

You're right, the similarities between The Magicians and Harry Potter are equal to the similarities between Ender's Game and Harry Potter, Death Note and Harry Potter, The Lies of Locke Lamora and Harry Potter, Star Wars and Harry Potter, Naruto and Harry Potter, etc. Basically, these are all the same story, with the same characters, the same details, the same narrative structure, the same emphases, and the same conclusions. None of these are any more like each other than any of the others. Luke Skywalker is as much like Ender Wiggin as he is like Light Yagami.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

I've got mine re-bound in House Elf skin.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

IRQ posted:

Anyway are we talking about the new movie in here?

I thought it was alright. There were some minor deviations from the book I didn't like, but that was made up for by the CGI team nailing the Ron-vs-horcrux scene loving perfectly. It played out exactly like I imagined it. I was especially impressed by horcrux-Harry and horcrux-Hermione actually being "both more terrible and more beautiful" than the real Harry & Hermione, just as they are described in the book.

edit:

quote:

(although unlike the book I didn't find the camping trip boring, and the feeling of despair/aimlessness was far better conveyed in the movie)

I'm of the exact opposite opinion. In the book it felt well done, in the movie it felt contrived in a "oh look they are not so subtly signalling Ron is drawing conclusions based on soap opera logic" sort of way.

reflir fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Nov 22, 2010

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

DarkHorse posted:

It's odd that you mention that phrase, because it looked just like Galadriel from the Lord of the Rings when she is tempted by the ring and says the exact same thing; "...And I shall not be dark, but beautiful and terrible as the Morning and the Night!"

But on Galadriel it looked slightly ridiculous and thematically uncalled for, whereas in DH it looked really really good.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

elf pr0n posted:

I got that special edition of Deathly Hallows signed by JK Rowling how much do y'all think it's worth

Can you post a picture/are you sure it is not a fake?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Dementors are anthropomorphized instantiations of Rowling's actual IRL depression. The Patronus charm is very obviously applied cognitive behavioral therapy.

There are no coherent in-universe explanations for any of the other points raised.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

That is one possible interpretation. Here is the relevant quote:

HBP, The Unknowable Room posted:

Having wasted a lot of time worrying aloud about Apparition, Ron was now struggling to finish a viciously difficult essay for Snape that Harry and Hermione had already completed. Harry fully expected to receive low marks on his, because he had disagreed with Snape on the best way to tackle dementors, but he did not care: Slughorns memory was the most important thing to him now.

This could mean that there are different methods to tackle a dementor, or that there are different ways to perform a single method to tackle dementors (the Patronus charm; Harry would have written something based on his experiences whereas Snape would want to see definitions straight from the book. This mirrors their run-in over ghosts). As the second interpretation is congruent with what we're usually told about dementors I am inclined to favor it over the first.

reflir fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Mar 3, 2011

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Daric posted:

Gritty, noir-style series about the old Order of the Phoenix

This already exists; The Order of the Phoenix is called the Grey Council and has Odin instead of Dumbledore, and Harry Potter is called Harry Dresden.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Be that as it may, there is still the fact of Snape setting them an essay that covers the best way of taking out a dementor, separate from Lupin teaching Harry the patronus charm.

GigaPeon posted:

It seems strange that a school would teach how to take down Dementors. Isn't that the equivalent of a real school teaching kids how to take down a cop?

There are several ways to respond here. The first is that at the point the Snape teaching about dementors part takes place, the Dementors have escaped Azkaban and are no longer under the control of the non-death eater ministry. It would therefore make sense to instruct the students in how to defeat them. The second is that even though Snape did cover dementors, it was in the theoretical way of DADA teaching, criticized in Order of the Phoenix in through the ineffectual Umbridge classes. He didn't actually make them perform the Patronus charm, he just made sure they knew that that was what they were supposed to do. It's the difference between knowing how and knowing that. The third is that security through obscurity (i.e., trying to somehow hide the information that the Patronus charm is the weakness in a dementor defence) is no security at all.

edit: And of course the analogy is inexact. It would be equivalent to a school teaching how to take out prison guards, if our prison guards differed substantially in their abilities from our policemen. Aurors are the cops of the wizarding world, and patronuses don't work on aurors!

reflir fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 7, 2011

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

He understood parseltongue

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/2007/0730-bloomsbury-chat.html posted:

Delailah: How does dumbledore understand parseltongue?
J.K. Rowling: Dumbledore understood Mermish, Gobbledegook and Parseltongue. The man was brilliant.

This seems rather hand-wavy to me, but there you go.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

The imperius curse falls under the 'unforgivable' descriptor because it's wizard rape. That's all there is to it.

Cruciatus curse = wizard torture
Imperius curse = wizard rape
Avada kedavra = wizard murder

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

It is ok to sperg about Harry Potter, for I Am Here.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of how the first four chapters or so Harry is basically Matilda.

This is why I originally kept reading the first time I read Philosopher's Stone. I'd read all of the Roald Dahl books my local library had and I thought this would be more of the same :3:

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

lol, 'Good' Harry Potter fanfic

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

daggerdragon posted:

Snape adopts Harry

This does not exactly make for a compelling argument

The only fanfic I'd ever read would have to be by other actual (as opposed to 'internet') authors. Haruki Murakami, William Gibson or China Mieville writing Harry Potter would loving own

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

I left him out to forestall the obvious 'The Books of Magic :smug:' reply

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Methods of Rationality posted:

"You turned into a cat! A SMALL cat! You violated Conservation of Energy! That's not just an arbitrary rule, it's implied by the form of the quantum Hamiltonian! Rejecting it destroys unitarity and then you get FTL signaling! And cats are COMPLICATED! A human mind can't just visualize a whole cat's anatomy and, and all the cat biochemistry, and what about the neurology? How can you go on thinking using a cat-sized brain?"

lol, 'Good' Harry Potter fanfic.

Edit: Not to mention that turning into a cat doesn't necessarily violate conservation of energy (though turning from a cat into a human would), that he assumes magic would involve some kind of counterfactual representation, and that the word he's looking for is 'neurobiology', not neurology

Also, to put my :spergin: hat on, what always bothered ME about animagi is that the minds and brains of animals lack the cognitive abilities required to understand 1) that they were once human, 2) that they can do magic, and 3) that they could turn back into a human being. When you become a cat, you're stuck with a cat mind, and cats are retarded.

reflir fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Apr 12, 2011

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Arnold of Soissons posted:

WTF was up with turning into geese, of all things, and not turns or gulls or something like that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sword_in_the_Stone

At least, I always assumed that's what it referenced.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Rowling's problem is that she doesn't have redshirts. In the first book you get the idea that there are a lot of people at Hogwarts and that Ron, Harry, Seamus, Dean and Neville are just some of the gryffindor boys in Harry's year, and that, say, professor McGonagall is just one of the transfiguration teachers. Then later it turns out that this is not the case and that the people 'in focus' are the only people fulfilling that role, creating ridiculous scenarios of ten kids per house per class (so 10 * 4 * 7 = 280 total) on the one hand and Hogwarts feeling as if it should have about 'a thousand' students on the other.

The same goes for the Ministry of Magic. A ministry of that size should serve way more than 30,000 people. I live in a city of 200,000 people and our city hall isn't even a tenth the size of the MoM.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

You're going to have to be more specific, as I can't tell what you're referring to. The usual 'blow poo poo up' spell is 'reducto', which Harry uses as early as GoF, but has been ruleslawyered to not work on animate matter (ie people).

Sometimes regular spells become explosive too, when it adds drama to the narrative.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

gently caress, I shoulda known that. As it turns out, confringo CAN be used on people: "In the All-England Wizarding Duelling Competition of 1420, Alberta Toothill defeated Samson Wiblin, who was the favorite, using a Blasting Curse (fw27)." You're right about the rest though.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Hahaha, that figures. Let me adapt my earlier response

"lol, transhumanism."

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Hermione is almost a year older than Harry (you need to be 11 to get into Hogwarts), Lupin's middle name is John

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

No, you are wrong. In Chamber of Secrets Harry is described as having green eyes, Dobby is described as having green eyes, and Ginny is described as having brown eyes:

Chamber of Secrets, The Burrow posted:

They slipped out of the kitchen and down a narrow passageway to an uneven staircase, which wound its way, zigzagging up through the house. On the third landing, a door stood ajar. Harry just caught sight of a pair of bright brown eyes staring at him before it closed with a snap.

"Ginny," said Ron. "You don't know how weird it is for her to be this shy. She never shuts up normally -"

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

Not a new book. Probably an MMORPG or some other internet thing. Mugglenet has these two items:

http://www.mugglenet.com/ posted:

It's official: 'Pottermore' is J.K. Rowling's next Harry Potter project!

It's been a long time coming, but the partial announcement is here: J.K. Rowling has announced that Pottermore is her next Harry Potter project.

... but what is it? We don't have an answer for that yet.

The name reveal came about letter by letter today, finally ending with an official confirmation via the launch of the official Pottermore Twitter and teaser website.

The only other information we have right now is the official logo (which you can see at this link).

I saw a preview of Pottermore recently and can tell you that it is fantastic. I'd say more but I had to make an unforgivable vow concerning its secrecy.

In the mean time: what do you think it is?

--------------

J.K. Rowling's Secret Street View

Following the completion of the seven Harry Potter books and eight films, J.K. Rowling has something new to announce. Even though this is not a new book, we have been informed it is something equally exciting.

As a teaser before the official announcement, ten letters have been hidden on the website below for you to find. To locate them you need to find ten sets of coordinates, enter them into the search box one set at a time, and take a look around.

This is the second coordinate: 51.530377,-0.123259

The rest will be revealed among nine other Harry Potter fan sites at intervals throughout the 15th and 16th of June 2011. Find the coordinates, enter them on the site below and you could be one of the first to piece the word together.

(Please note - These letters are magic, therefore do not exist in the real world...)

Good luck to you all.

https://www.secretstreetview.com

P.S.: If you're having trouble finding the clue, simply zoom in on the map so you enter the street view!

Other sites with coordinates:

- Leaky
- HarryPotter-Xperts
- ClubeDoSlugue
- Portkey
- UniversHarryPotter
- HPANA
- Snitch Seeker
- BlogHogwarts

edit: lol, 'unforgivable vow'. What a dumbass. Additionally, if it's not a book, what's the point?

reflir fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 16, 2011

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

The thick plottens http://www.youtube.com/JKRowlingAnnounces

Looking more and more like a facebook game

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

If the golden snitch wasn't worth 150 points, how could Harry dramatically and decisively win matches and accrue glory?

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

I'm trying really hard to see an upside to this but the amazing efforts to contard a loving series of books and the pointless staggered release of information are like poo poo covered railroad spikes gouging out my eyes

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

What the hell does contard mean in this context?

[unlocked achievement: quoted a post]

50 house points!

Hedrigall posted:

Basically you read the book and have the site open at the same time. You provide status updates about what chapter you're up to, and it unlocks more content (mini games, encyclopedia type stuff and so on).

I will probably use it the next time I do a readthrough of the series, just to see what all the new stuff is like. In fact it might prompt me to start a new readthrough when it launches in October!

How does it check you reading through the books instead of just going from memory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

You know what a thread about Harry Potter needs? Piracy discussions!

• Locked thread