Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Is anyone running a Harmonians.txt or something? I'd love to know how all this is going down in those circles.

aslan posted:

Am I the only one who wishes that JK would stop talking about all the things in the book that she didn't write/wrote wrong/etc? It was cute at first (Dumbledore's gay!), but at this point it's been seven years and she sounds like the girl who can't stop talking about her ex-boyfriend years after the break-up.

Since book 7 she's written three more novels and done a shitload of philanthropy. She also has absolutely no love lost for the media in general, so I presume that the main reason she keeps talking about Harry Potter is because people are still asking about it, and she likes answering the questions sometimes because it makes the fans happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

bobjr posted:

And Snape was always a huge rear end in a top hat, to the point where he wasn't even a good teacher. He knew all the stuff, but he never really taught the kids or helped them, only ridiculed them when they got something wrong. When Harry takes his OWL he even thinks about how not bad potions is when he doesn't have Snape around.

Of course he is, he's part of a grand tradition of Harsh Masters going back almost to the invention of the boarding-school genre (and who would have been very recognisable to anyone who went to school in Britain before the 90s; the trope is one of the things that gives the idealised schools depicted in the stories a connection back to reality). There's a reason this exists and became such an immediate, massive, lasting success and cultural touchstone, for instance.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Casual-Vacancy-J-K-Rowling/dp/0751552860/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1412811433&sr=8-1&keywords=the+casual+vacancy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cuckoos-Calling-Cormoran-Strike-ebook/dp/B0091LLCTM/ref=la_B00CM8UJ86_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412811469&sr=1-2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silkworm-Cormoran-Strike-Book-ebook/dp/B00IHZNWZU/ref=la_B00CM8UJ86_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412811469&sr=1-1

Clearly the work of a woman obsessed with Harry Potter

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I saw him doing Equus on stage. He can act.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Inveigle posted:

Has there been any other book release (say, in the past 50 years) that was met with such expectation as Book 7? I can't really think of anything.

If you want to expand it just a little past 50 years, then the release of The Return of the King was a pretty major event.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Did people really care about LotR when it was published? Tolkein was just an old crazy British guy writing fanfiction about Norse mythology, not yet a beloved nerd icon.

Tolkien was already a well-respected author off the back of The Hobbit, which had been widely and positively reviewed, and sold well enough for his publisher to ask politely if he wouldn't mind writing a sequel; ten years, one war, and Farmer Giles of Ham later, he brought them this enormous thing that was completely unpublishable, and it then took about three years to actually get it on sale, partly because paper rationing (not ended until 1953, and it took a while after that for the supply to fully recover) meant they couldn't possibly print enough copies of a single-volume edition to keep up with expected demand.

That's why we have three volumes, and the cliffhanger at the end of The Two Towers followed by nearly a year's gap is surely one of the best accidental marketing decisions ever made. The thing had British and foreign fan clubs before 1954 was out, both within and outwith existing SF/F fan contexts (I know this because my grandmother started one). As each volume was released the number of positive reviews only grew, it kept selling in cartloads through the rest of the 50s, and there's every chance it would have gone stratospheric sooner than it did if it hadn't taken ten years for a paperback edition to arrive.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Chamale posted:

The most important change to fix the game is that the Snitch should be worth 3 points, and a goal 1 point. Describing the scores is stupid because every number is ten times bigger than it ought to be.

I cannot imagine how much you must hate tennis.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

reignofevil posted:

Also all of Hogwarts banding together to throw out Umbridge was an amazing story that always felt really awesome to me, especially peeves running her out with the transfiguration teacher's cane.

It took me about four reads to notice this, but one of my favourite parts about Order of the Phoenix is how much Peeves there is in it, even before you arrive at the bits you remember straight away. Far more than in any other book, he's whizzing around causing mischief and people are having to dodge him as they go about their business.

And not just because Peeves is awesome and I would happily have read seven books about him, but because he's the spirit of rebellion and misadventure, and so of course it makes perfect sense that he's all over Book 5, during Umbridge's reign of terror. It's a great subtle indicator of what her regime is doing to the school.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Pidmon posted:

How can Binns be SO loving BAD at his job that he keeps it post mortem? That still annoys me, just so Joanne didn't have to flesh out history much.

It's a school story. Schools in school stories have a bullying teacher and a boring teacher. It's like complaining that the hero of a Western rides a horse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Pidmon posted:

I prefer to interact with the series as if Hogwarts was a real place than just going "It's cliche that's why it doesn't matter that people are triggered by the Dursley's abuse" as has happened in this thread previously.

Well, and the reason that schools in school stories have a boring teacher and a bullying teacher is that lots of people have had a teacher at some point who was crap and everyone wondered how they kept their job; and lots of people have had teachers who were assholes to them or others, and even more so if you happened to go to an independent school, where headmasters and headmistresses can pretty much hire who they feel like without them actually having to be any good at teaching. It wouldn't have become a cliche if it wasn't rooted in something recognisable.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 22, 2015

• Locked thread