Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Pththya-lyi posted:

I love the books and practically grew up with them, but I HATE HATE HATE how even the good wizards treat Muggles (i.e., in pretty much the same way as the SPCA treats animals). It first started to bother me when they had to keep mind-wiping the Muggle groundskeeper at the Quidditch World Cup in GoF and came to a head when Hermione gave her parents entirely new personas without their prior knowledge or consent in DH. Okay, so the relatives of wizards and the Prime Minister are in on the secret, but how will the rest of the Muggles protect themselves from Voldemort? Harry and Co. are all gung-ho about how the wizarding world has a right to know about Voldemort's return, but they never even think about telling the Muggles about it. No, maintaining the Masquerade is more important than protecting human rights.

And why do they have to expend all that effort to maintain the Masquerade anyway? In the very first book, Hagrid explains to Harry that they need to do it to stop Muggles from bugging them for favors, but this excuse falls apart when you consider that wizards have no problem marketing their magical skills to each other. "Of course you may purchase these wares, fellow wizard, but the Muggles don't have the wisdom to fathom the majesty and power of my magical whoopie cushions." :chord: Maybe the wizards needed to protect themselves from the masses centuries ago, when each village had maybe one or two wizard families that couldn't pack up and leave their homes easily, but the wizarding conspiracy grows less and less tenable as global communication and travel grow more and more accessible to everyone.

(Oh yeah, and the English wizards are ethnocentric: in GoF, they refuse to bow to international pressure to add carpets to the list of approved flying objects on the grounds that they're "Muggle things," even though rugs are much less conspicuous than wooden brooms.)

The whole magic world itself is never very well explained. From the way the books are written every wizard who is worth half a poo poo is from Britain. However that doesn't really jive with me to well considering there are long traditions of magic in other cultures like Asia, the middle east and even the native Americans with shamanism. You would think that there would be bad asses all over the globe and if some dark wizard started genocide and took complete control over a country some one would get on that instead of leaving it to a child.

Also their selection of what mundane things where normal and what was weird never really made sense to me either. Like radios are OK but no phones or internet. Owl communication is such a pain in the rear end you would think they would pick up some of this stuff considering a lot of young wizards and witches at Hogwarts come from Muggle families.

Don't get me wrong I really love the series and think they are a lot of fun. My point is just don't think about this stuff very hard and accept it for what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

IRQ posted:

Really you can't think too hard about the Harry Potter universe or suspension of disbelief gets difficult. "You mean to tell me not one of these people thought to bring a shotgun when confronting Voldemort? Avada Kevad*BLAM*"

It's just a fun series to read with your brain firmly in the off position.

To be fair this never bothered me because it would seem crazy to face Voldemort with out a wand out because of all his non verbal/wandless magic he could do.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

IRQ posted:

Ah, the Doom 3 dilemma. :v:

Yeah now where is that roll of duct tape when you need it right.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

reflir posted:

There is only one wizarding school in the UK but Rowling is retarded with numbers. She's said that each year has forty students; five boys and five girls for every House. However, she's also said that there are 'about a thousand' students overall.

I guess having 250 people in the common rooms would make things a bit confusing.

edit: Thinking about it now too the idea of having 5 boys and girls for each house is really dumb. What if harry picked to be sorted into Slytherin? Would a Slytherin been forced into Gryffindor?

Vire fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 14, 2010

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
I don't know the harry potter world seems so innocent where the worst spell ever is just a painless killing spell. I'm pretty sure muggles with guns would wipe the floor with a wizard in a quick draw battle however the whole point is that would never happen because wizards don't need to fight wars to enslave the entire world all they need to do is mind control all the prime ministers / presidents and have them do what ever they want with their armies for them. Which is why each of those leaders probably have wizards defending them. They are two separate world you solve wizard problems with wizards and muggle problems with muggles.

Also the excuses that wizards can teleport dose not really hold water in a gun battle since they couldn't even dodge a knife that killed dobby let alone a bullet and if their shield charms worked so great the probably would never be jinxed either.

bobkatt013 posted:

He would need to know exactly where he was and he could not break certain protection spells.

I believe he was flying until he got close enough to apperiate. The way they described it was the further you had to go the more dangerous it is to do it and voldemort feared death more then anything so I'm sure he wouldn't do it across two countries if he knew there was even a 1% chance of it going wrong. He also probably believed that Harry was just lucky and he would eventually get him no rush.

Vire fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

HelixFox posted:

There doesn't seem to be any cooldown to apparition, though, so why didn't he just do it in jumps? Teleport as far as possible then just teleport again and keep hopping along like a Sorceress in Diablo 2.

The answer is either JK didn't think of it or simply a plot device because then Harry would have been caught and killed, which is a bit bad.

Ah good point. Yeah I have no idea then.

• Locked thread