Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Pththya-lyi posted:

And why do they have to expend all that effort to maintain the Masquerade anyway?

Because if they didn't, there goes your "secret in crowd" wish fulfillment. What really got me was when Voldemort seized power and...they kept being secret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

IRQ posted:

I was always willing to accept that the Harry Potter novels took place during the 70s or 80s so that cell phones and the internet didn't exist or whatever, but I just cannot accept that not one mudblood figured they should just drag along a pistol and blow Voldemort away while he's reciting the death curse.

:sperg:

I think this is a problem with any story involving magic in a modern setting. There just aren't a whole lot of normal everyday problems technology hasn't solved. I should test this theory by reading a Dresden novel or something.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Came across a copy of HBP:

:(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

MrFlibble posted:

Looks pretty cool to me, all weather-beaten and old timey.

It was ruined by water damage.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

FrensaGeran posted:

I just couldn't imagine being told who and what I am at 11 years old with no prospect of ever changing it. That's some serious psychological damage.

Not to mention being locked in a cabinet by foster parents who hate him. Harry should have been a basketcase.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

LividLiquid posted:

Right. Even in those discussions we mentioned how both Back to the Future and Terminator changed their own rules multiple times.

Except the third Terminator movie firmly established that that universe follows the "what happened, happened" rule. (As terrible as that movie was, it did do that.)

Back to the Future was a comedy based on the premise you actually can change the past.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Dickeye posted:

This is actually explained a lot better in Dresden Files: Magic and technology don't mix.

That's the way The Magicians did it too.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Hilts posted:

Anyway, the kind of irrational use of outdated items has been theorized before, Wizards have little to no respect for muggle things.

This whole phenomenon is just catering to the mistrust of science by claiming that the wisdom gotten from the burning bush is superior because it took those smarty-pants scientists this long to figure out what normal folk have known for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Am I wrong in disagreeing with the idea that Snape was actually a good guy? All the things he did that supposedly put him on that side of the ledger were done because he had a creepy and obsessive crush on Harry's mom. It's probably just that I really hate it when writers take the "deep cover" thing to such an absurd extent.

• Locked thread