Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

veekie posted:

I figure the Patronus is difficult to use against massed Dementors(Once they get their mindscrew into your head, good luck summoning up the joy to Patronus with), so presumably Snape's method might actually work better than the more 'action-heroey' Patronus.

Figure a Mind Blank potion would be ace for letting you fight Dementors the usual way.

Maybe it was something really screwy like Occulmency, but good luck teaching -that to all the students, and that's not even getting into the problems that you'd get if you successfully taught them it.

Though that makes me wonder, wouldn't a Legillimens know that you were trying to prevent them from getting into your mind, and thus had something to hide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but it's worth noting that the notes Snape put down were improvements over what the book was teaching even years later. If that poo poo had been documented, I'm pretty sure Hermione's response wouldn't have been "Where the hell did you come up with that" every time Harry massively outperformed her. Even if he was experimenting because he was alone/sad/whatever, he was creating massive improvements to potions while he was a teenager in school. The notes he had were good enough that Harry went from Crap to Best of Class just by following them, which implies they were some really god damned good notes.

It's also worth noting that for all Snape's complaining, he actually wasn't that good at Defense against the Dark Arts. When he was teaching about the magical creatures he got stuff wrong and taught students the wrong information. (And Rowling points this out in one of the for-charity Hogwarts textbooks.) He was good at curses and dark arts but those were clearly the parts he cared about. It's kind of an evolution of his thing with Lily. He sure wanted her but he was a pretty bad fit.

Something related to this has actually been bugging me a fair bit, though it might be due to my selective memory, and I think Red Hen touched on it in one of their essays, though I'm not sure exactly which one.

Basically none of the kids in Harry's generation actually seem good, or extremely imaginative at magic. Harry and Ron get through their entire life with somewhere around 8 spells, most of which they learned in their first two years. Hermione seems like a child prodigy but then the only person saying this is Hagrid; and Hermione just learns spells from books several years before she's meant to.

On the other hand you have the Marauders all learning to become Animagi before year 5 as well as making a map that just breaks Hogwarts. Snape just starts inventing spells and revolutionizing potion making, albeit secretly. In fact the only pepole in Harry's year group who comes close are Fred and George.

And that's not even getting into the magic the older wizards start showing off whenever they duel, or literally anything Mcgonagall does.

I mean I know why it's the case (they're kids), and the exact time Hermione could have started shining she was off being a glorified home security agent and bread thief, but it just bugs me.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

In that case it is due to Snape making him do it. It always seems to be the subjects in which he hates or the teachers hate him that he complains about doing the homework.

Speaking of that did anything ever come up about Harry not seeming to have listened to a single History of Magic class in the entire time he was there?

Also you'd think he'd have taken Muggle Studies instead of Divinaton for the easiest O ever, unless you're tested on what Wizards think the Muggle world is like rather than what it's actually like.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Eggnogium posted:

Hermione has much more than book knowledge. For one, over and over again she is the quickest on the uptake at actually casting spells. Second, it seemed implied that she invented the spells for Dumbledore's Army that cursed the signup list and linked their coins.

Nah, the latter was a Protean Charm and it's used somewhere else, notably Voldemort and his Dark Marks.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Szmitten posted:

In addition to what I said earlier, Tom Riddle, who goes balls deep into his studies, is the bad guy and ultimately fails because he doesn't know/understand something.

Harry Potter's weird.

I think it's because Tom Riddle is a sociopath who literally cannot understand the concept of love.

Which sort of meant he was screwed from day 1.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

njbeachbum posted:

If you are skilled enough at charms or transfiguration you can do things like cook and clean by focusing your thoughts on a specific tasks. Spells like Wingardium etc, are the building blocks for getting your mind more in tune with your magic. So maybe once your mind is tuned and you are sufficiently in tune with hurting others, you can manipulate things without a specific spell. I know this isn't canon, and it is probably idiotic, but without a more well thought out magic system from JKR, we are left trying to fill in the gaps.

I think I mentioned this before but:

It seems like being skilled at Charms and Transfiguration as well as being imaginative is probably the most important part of actually being a really good wizard and duelist in the books. Compare Snape vs Mcgonagall and Dumbledore vs Voldemort where they're just transfiguring stuff into other stuff and bringing statues to life and summoning knives out of thin air or Fred and George inventing a candy that pretty much transfigures you into an animal or the fact the trials in the first book are probably the most impressive bit of magic shown off in any of the books.

Hermione was really good at learning and using spells but the closest thing she came to being imaginative (from what I remember) was trying to be cute by muting a Death Eater and instantly getting non-verballed.

On the flipside Mrs Weasley was blatantly Hufflepuff Head and taught Wizard Home Economics before it got cut due to reasons.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Paragon8 posted:

Hermionie did create a bag of holding, create a list that would curse anyone that revealed its secret (which is hugely powerful, the only thing as indirect as that we've seen was Voldemort cursing the DADA position and that's not even as explicit), charming coins to act as ways to send messages etc.

Wasn't the last one a NEWT spell, I can't remember off the top of my head but I think it was played more as a "Wow Hermione did a Protean Charm that's NEWT magic how the hell she hasn't even done OWLs yet?"

Actually I just checked and she cribbed the coins from Voldemort's DE tattoos.

The parchment one is pretty sick magic though I'm thinking if it's some odd variation of what the Goblet of Fire does since everyone was like "Oh if your name is on the thing you have to do the tournament!" or if it's some bizarre version of the Fidelius Charm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Zore posted:

I always thought POA was the weakest movie in the series. Mostly because so much of it just... cuts important information in favor of pointless bullshit. The movie literally doesn't make sense unless you fill in a lot of gaps from the books, and the humor/aesthetic shift from the first two movies was really jarring considering Azkaban was a much darker story than the first two.

Hogwarts is the Whomping Willow, a stone tower, Hogsmede and a weird wooden bridge they use for loving everything in that movie. Also introduced the giant pendulum clock which was just... why.

GoF actually felt like I was watching some bizarre highlights reel and when I watched it with someone who hadn't read the books I pretty much had to fill in all the gaps that the film left.

But then I really liked the fifth film once the plot started moving, I just wish they did more with it.

Chamale posted:

Food is one of the five exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration, according to Hermione. You can't turn something into food - although she says you can increase the quantity of food, so maybe a wizard family could avoid going hungry by magically duplicating their pantry. Presumably some of the other laws say that you can't transfigure other things into money, and maybe there's some kind of physical or legal law that prevents transfiguration for profit. I looked it up, and the other exceptions to Gamp's Law are never actually stated in the books.

It's not technically food but didn't Barty Crouch get turned into a bone?

• Locked thread