Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Also Grantland does get occasional editorials from random people that are good. Anytime Ken Dryden writes for them it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Cross posting:

I may have missed this being posted in the pre-game 1 build up but this is a great read about Delonte West. It's long but worth the read.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2014/06/delonte_west_he_was_branded_as_crazy_and_became_the_subject_of_a_vicious.html

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Kibner posted:

I don't remember if it was posted in this thread or not, but I am looking for an article/essay about some white guy's realization of some of his racist tendencies after having to move neighborhoods and needing to find a new pick-up basketball group to play with. Does anyone remember this or could point me in the direction to find it?

Doltos's live journal?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
You can have your opinions on Bill Simmons as well but he has called out the Boston media machine on numerous occasions for always dragging people through the mud on their way out of the city.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Let's be fair. Coaches challenge a lot of really stupid plays.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Kalli posted:

I think Highly Questionable was already off for the week regardless, so it's also rather ineffectual.

On a side note, not that it'd be a bad thing if ESPN decided to enforce a 'not be the news' stance.

It wouldn't be bad. But in the shadow of the Stephen a Smith stuff its kind of silly.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The thing is LeBetard is doing this as a joke. If you've heard him in interviews enough he does actually have a sense of humor. It's just a goof.

The sad part is there are people who genuinely feel betrayed that Lebron would leave. I saw some randoms on twitter and one guy had his avatar as "Titles don't leave" with a close up crop of Wade and Bosh. It was silly.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

If what this story says is accurate than the suspension seems stupid. Basically ESPN is being cowards about discussing this very real story and would rather just have everyone shut up than possibly have a moron reveal their true selves. That said, the story about Kellerman is hardly what I would call disturbing. If it was told as presented it doesn't sound like Kellerman was absolving Rice. Rather, speaking from his own experience, he was involved in something similar. Since I haven't heard the actual interview I can't really comment on what was said or in what tone.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Bhester posted:

Why have a genuine open-air discussion about a serious issue when they can just produce a 30 for 30 special on it making it seem like an old, dead issue?

"What if I told you, it wasn't his fault. His wife made him do it. But we still loved him anyways. 30 for 30 presents, Ray of Light."

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I don't know how many people in this thread also follow auto racing, but, um, prepare yourselves for some hot loving takes when people wake up tomorrow and realize that Tony Stewart killed a fellow driver.

I posted it in its thread, but that will be the biggest sports story of the century thus far because holy loving poo poo

Okay it's not even going to be the biggest story of the year. Settle down.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I have to ask what the point of Rembert Browne writing a first person account of his time in Ferguson has anything to do with the type of content Grantland produces. I"m not questioning the content or tone of the article. But simply why should it be published as the top story on Grantland right now?

http://grantland.com/features/ferguson-missouri-protest-michael-brown-murder-police/

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

skaboomizzy posted:

Some things transcend sports. I think a paramilitary police action against unarmed protesters (after an unarmed black kid was gunned down by a white cop), local homeowners, and journalists severe enough that the President, US Attorney General, a sitting US Senator qualifies.

There are many things that transcend sports and general pop culture. But what exactly does any of that have to do with the editorial boundaries on Grantland which up to this point, I can't recall them ever handling an event like this or delivering an article that ostensibly has nothing to do with sport or pop culture. I've pretty much been visiting the site multiple times a day since its launch a few years ago. It just feels off.

I am sure I sound like a grump and this is saying nothing about the content of the article by Browne, merely that I have plenty of other outlets I go to to read about such things. However, if this is a direction that Grantland is genuinely interested in pursuing I have no issue with it either. It just feels like a departure.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I don't see a pop culture hook here.

And the travel diary had strong grantland related hooks. He's stopping at burning man, he's covering Kevin Durant, going to a 2 chainz birthday party and so on.

The thing is, they can do whatever the want. If they want to publish a 15,000 word article on the current ebola situation, or the threat of a complete civil war in Iraq they can do that. I only brought this up not because I'm angry, but more that I thought this was completely different than anything I'd ever seen before on Grantland and thought it didn't really have a place. It felt tonally in the wrong place. Like it should be on Slate or something.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 15, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Stop acting like I'm blind to how Grantland operates. I already said I read the site every day and have since 2011. I subscribe to both the Grantland Sports and Pop Culture feeds and listen to Girls in Hoodies, Do You like Prince Movies, Hollywood Prospectus, and even The Right Reasons. I'm familiar with the works of Yoshida, Lynch, Lisante and so on. I've met and even spoke with Lisante and Jay Caspian Kang who's departure I dearly miss. I'm also a Lowe acolyte. I listen to Men In Blazers every week. I still subscribe but skip a lot of the B.S. report these days. I now sound like a massive dickhead but I'm trying to lay down my Grantland bonafides. I think you're missing my point a bit here too.

Grantland, in particular on the pop culture side is not afraid to talk about sexuality or race. The Girls in Hoodies talk about it every week. The lack of women and minorities in popular entertainment has been talked about. Yoshida talked about it in her GTA V piece which of course got the internet nerds all riled up. I'm not blind to the fact that several major sports are built on the backs of talent that is predominantly black. My whole point in bringing this up wasn't that I was SHOCKED or APPALLED that they dare bring in these yucky weird societal questions like race or sexuality into my precious world of sports and pop culture. It was that this Rembert piece in particularly felt tonally like something I've never seen on Grantland before. I'm not approaching this piece with the mindset that it is problematic or offends me. Merely from a outside editorial position it felt like nothing i've ever seen on Grantland before. This was stripped of all framing. This isn't the Miami Heat responding to Trayvon Martin. This was purely a first hand account of the awful events in Ferguson. The why I'm asking was more a rhetorical "i wonder what grantland may do in the future?"

I'd love to see well written pieces on all manner of subjects but I think that it falls outside of Grantlands standard articles. In this specific situation it hits less on pop culture or sport which is not present, but rather a much deeper darker vein of the American life.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 15, 2014

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Crion posted:

That's quite a first reaction to the goings-on in Ferguson you got there.

Yep. This was literally my first reaction to what was happening there.

Also, I agree with you all that a good story is a good story and ultimately it's a great thing that Grantland is editorially flexible enough (which it is) to run with quality stuff. So sorry if the burr up my rear end rubbed people the wrong way last night.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I'm sorry I started this. And to reiterate one last time I wasn't angry it existed and glad it was there. I just kind of wanted to discuss its existence.

Also I'm pissed that it crowded out a breakdown of the latest housewives recap.

Also that polygon article looks hilarious.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The Wesley Morris piece was really really good.

Also, interesting thing SI is evidently going to be doing. Going over career highlight photos with some of their most famous photographs/photographers. Really really cool and worth listening to all the interviews.

http://www.si.com/longform/neil-leifer/

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I got more annoyed with Barnwell when I actually heard him speak on the podcast. Although lets be real, I bet he's on this message board. Dude is a big loving nerd. posting on twitter about Half life 2 and random crap all the time.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Remember the time he was weirdly obsessed with cheerleaders? Oh wait, that's all the time.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

morestuff posted:

Robert Mays' NFL stuff is usually well-written but kind of vanilla.

Robert Mays is a bundle of loving energy compared to Barnwell.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Why was he talking about Olivia Munn?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Espn looks so stupid and tone deaf here. Just incredibly stupid.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The funniest thing about this is that ESPN once again has made the story about themselves. Silly stuff.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The burrito thing on 538 was bizarre and insane to think they were flying people across the country to try burritos.

Also their review methodology was weird.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Declan MacManus posted:

No the burrito thing was an ill-conceived idea that tried to apply a scientific approach to burritos and also spent money flying a writer around eating burritos

Like 538 seems like they're out of ideas

I don't think they're out of ideas. As others said the political season is coming and thats where they make their hay. However, their still trying to figure out exactly what they want to do and I think its a mistake to do shorter pieces using smaller amounts of data. Granted, websites live and die by the churn of content but I think 538 would be better off taking more time and releasing less articles. But yeah, the burrito thing was stupid because you have one person flying around the country judging burritos. Food judgement is pretty subjective so the idea that they had hard quantifiable things they could numerically rate was stupid. And yeah the Silver Burrito story was loving dumb too. "One time I was arrested by cops and was confused. But then they chilled out and I got to eat my burrito in the cell and it was all good!"

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I believe his last tweet was something like, "scary but everyone has a bad day!"

Meanwhile in Ferguson.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

MourningView posted:

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/

NBC getting into the longform game with their new SportsWorld site. It appears to be mostly built around Posnanski, as you would expect. Hopefully for them he doesn't bail on this one after a few weeks.

Both nbcsports and that just look terrible. At least at sportsworld when you're in an article it looks alright but there is way too much whitespace on the frontpage. And the NBCsports site is just a cluttered mess. Finding the videos you want of say, a highlight package from the latest EPL match is confusing and stupid.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
We all saw this right? Made me laugh my rear end off.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Mornacale posted:

She was real lovely but I'm not at all comfortable with the idea that corporations should get to discipline you for your behavior in private life. I think her level of evil is on the other side of the line for me from rape/domestic abuse.

I'd be willing to be there are clauses about outward facing behavior unbecoming of an employee over at ESPN.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The first quote is "Too many rules get in the way of leadership..."

followed by a big manual of weird lovely rules.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Politicalrancor posted:

Id say Simmons is a little too hands off, with the putter story as an example.

There were a number of people that the putter story went through so I'd say that was an institutional failure. And yes Simmons is the head so a large amount of the onus is on him but that felt more like ignorance than anything else. Not that that excuses things.

But I'm glad he isn't meddling in a lot of the pop culture stuff. It's an amazing staff at grant land.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Pappademas and Morris podcast is great and insightful with pop culture stuff. When I accidentally hear a minute or two of Greenwald and Ryan I cry. Unless you enjoy the idea of grown white men saying "Yo this is dope."

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

morestuff posted:

I like Morris' writing a ton but he's a total non-entity on those podcasts, it usually ends up being Pappademas monologuing to fill air while Morris occasionally chimes in with an "I don't know" or "Yeah, I guess so"

Really? Not sure I totally agree. He's got a lot to say when it comes to race and inputs a lot when its about recent movies.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
To draw the ire of Ebert one has to be a piece of poo poo.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I love Grantland. I go there everyday as much for its pop culture coverage as its sports stuff. If it starts to suffer or fall apart I will be sad.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I was trying to do a mental check on who they lost and all I could come up with is Emily Yoshida to the verge, Jay Caspian Kang to writer at large, and Tess Lynch. This was over a staggered period as well.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
538 seemingly spent a decent amount of money trying to find the best burrito in America using goofy metrics and all it did was piss everyone off.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Man, ESPN loving took him out harsh.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Gross? Sure. Disgraceful? Mostly ironic given he covers the NFL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The best part about the Gawker media group is that they'll host videos almost immediately of things like Premiere league goals or something crazy that happened on CNN and not be worried about it getting taken down and they rarely do. As opposed to Youtube that will take stuff down for sports leagues almost immediately.