Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Startup news site The Messenger seems to be quickly going under. Not sure how large their sports operation was but they definitely had one, Ryan Nanni was doing stuff there.

I feel like I'm pretty plugged into the news/pop culture landscape seeing as it is a large element of both of the jobs I do right now. I have not even heard of the messenger? Maybe I'm bad at my job? But yeah, I've never once even seen a story linked to that site and I spend like 12 hours a day on twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s garbage. Feel free to insert the trump tweet about Diet Coke here

There's the occasional fun article.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Isn’t SI a zombie publication at this point.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

This must've been a year or two ago but it just popped back into my head: Jay Kang, formerly at NYT, now of the New Yorker, directed a doc for ESPN (forget if it was a 30 For 30 or whatever they call them now), about Michael Chang and more broadly Asian-American identity. It was done, maybe a week away from its planned premiere at like a festival and then suddenly pulled with little comment.

Iirc it was assumed at the time that ESPN caved to avoid offending China in some way -- I think the idea was that his 1989 French Open win was paired in the narrative with Tiananmen Square. Did the film ever see the light of day or was there ever a more candid explanation?

Kang said it was going to come out next summer (2024). Without any explanation one has to imagine there was some sort of tension with the release...but who knows.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Truther Vandross posted:

His parents are Taiwanese so I could definitely see there being some political issues ESPN is caving to.

The documentary was going to be absolutely political. ESPN's own description describes it as ESPN Films today announced that production has completed on a 30 for 30 documentary about former tennis player Michael Chang, with New Yorker and The New York Times writer and Emmy nominated correspondent, Jay Caspian Kang, on board for his directorial debut. “American Son” will tell the story of Chang’s improbable rise as a young American tennis star, and his family’s immigrant journey which shaped his destiny. The story is centered around his winning the 1989 French Open at age 17, including his unforgettable upset of top ranked Ivan Lendl – a match that unfolded in the shadow of the Tiananmen Square massacre in China.

On top of that I know Michael Chang is also outspoken in his christian faith which surely rubs China the wrong way as well. But yeah, would be interesting to see if this does eventually come out next year.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
It’s almost as if the sports gambling market is way too prominent, too in our faces, and too predatory.

https://youtu.be/vDsLu0CWcgk?feature=shared

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

General Dog posted:

There’s a giant ESPNBET widget below every score on ESPN’s mobile site now, very cool

I noticed that. It’s very prominent.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I haven't kept up on the news but it feels like every time I hear about Vice the past 4 years its been them firing people. I'm shocked theres any workforce at all at this point.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Dexo posted:

It's depressing, but it turns out most people's top political priority is "beating those people I hate, and make me feel good", over any sort of policy platform that anyone could possibly put forward. But like most people aren't going to say that, they are just going to say the dog whistles that their side red or blue uses to let people know where they stand. Even if it ends up being contradictory

And to add,

Henchman of Santa posted:

I mean in the sense of having confusing and contradictory beliefs. Like the people that get interviewed at the Iowa caucuses.

Rarely do people have a coherent/cogent political and ideological philosophy. The Iowa caucuses are a great example. I spent a small bit of time seeking those out and exit interviews for people who voted for trump in 2016 after that election and it is a great reminder. I'm making this example up but effectively there were ones that were like this. You'd see it was someone who say, was a 36 year old woman who lived in Wisconsin. She was a single parent. She would state that some of her top concerns are access to abortion, gay rights, and the economy. You'd be like "oh so she probably voted for Clinton!" and then you'd see she voted Trump and she'd say something like "he makes some good points about the economy."

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The sad part about that, in regards to the Barstool stuff is that the bar is consistently being lowered. Quality sports writing is hard to come by and so are opportunities for young writers to get reps. The output of "writing" that barstool vomits out is below subpar so yeah, zombie deadspin dying is still bad. It's a bleak landscape folks!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

harperdc posted:

If not the core reason, certainly the core income stream. Having a near-monopoly on local advertising for certain things was a nice way to pay for the journalism.

It's always wild to pull up a digital archive of an old newspaper and see how much paper was dedicated to classifieds. I remember thumbing through newspapers as a kid too and just seeing how massive they were. Old New York Times weekend papers had so many pages of classifieds it was wild. It's also fun to look at the old papers and you could see how much money the newspapers had. A medium sized newspaper in a medium sized city might still send 8 reporters to Seoul or something for the 88 Olympics.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
My friend worked for a company that was acquired by Vox media recently and it was brutal.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

mcmagic posted:

McAfee getting spots with Caitlin Clark and Belichick? I don't understand why he's so popular, I find him incredibly boring.

He is but also he's widely popular and its kind of a rock rolling down hill momentum wise. I'm not saying this to compare the two ideologically at all, but McAfee is right now sort of like Tucker Carlson in that he obviously organically grew his reach through working a lot but ESPN has now given him a massive platform and put him everywhere all the time. If ESPN just fired Pat McAfee he'd disappear pretty fast the way Tucker Carlson did once he didn't have the platform. Now granted, the difference is someone else would probably hire him but he's the hot thing right now and ESPN gives him massive reach through hard work but also ESPN's sheer force of will he's kind of everywhere right now.

He'll be around for a long while until ESPN decides they want to push a new person. Which may never happen as well!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Dexo posted:

This is very incorrect lol.

I personally don't watch his show like that, but have seen some clips on youtube from time to time if it seems somewhat interesting, but the reason they brought him in is because he organically grew his platform through his insanely popular Youtube show. And got people watching and streaming. In a way that like most ESPN shows just don't have that type of retention.

Like his show he puts on ESPN is just the same thing he's done for like the past 5-6 years or so on youtube, which was pulling in large amounts of viewers and sponsors, consistently

If they let him go, he would just go back to doing his youtube show that got like 50-100k viewers or whatever watching daily live.

People like him, because he's "fun" is less uptight than most other people talking sports, has a bunch of athlete friends and connections which let him get good guests. And he's a former player so they loosen up and are willing to more shoot the poo poo with him vs being in PR mode. He talks about sports like "normal" people do.

I don't like comparing him to Tucker Carlson as like Pat isn't a white nationalist fascist terrible human being(or at least like doesn't preach it from his pulpit I don't know that dude). He could easily just go back to doing the show on his own. The reason he took the show to ESPN, was because he had a kid and wanted to deal with less overhead like dealing with insurance, payroll and other stuff high level for his employees. From all reports the pay difference between what the show previously did under draftkings and what ESPN is paying is minimal. But the overhead stuff is handled by ESPN now.

I tire of the bit quickly when I do end up watching a clip of a segment for whatever reason, but absolutely respect the grind he's been on. Just think of him like a twitch streamer, only instead of video games or whatever he's talking sports, and built an audience that enjoys his personality and his employees personality.

We are all old, jaded, and would probably prefer more serious coverage, vs what Pat does which is outsized personality and like just relying on his own charisma with "jokes" and bits to get through a show

Which is why I was comparing him only to the platform elevating him. I specifically said they weren't ideologically similar.

I also absolutely respect his growth/grind. He did a hell of a job growing and selling himself. I guess I wasn't clear. My point is, if ESPN banished him he'd be way way less in our face. He'd still have his big fanbase that would follow him but it wouldn't feel omniprescent. From showing up on the sideline of college football games as an alternate cast, to being on ESPN College Gameday, to getting in big "feuds" that feed the content beast that even other ESPN programs feed off of. A Youtube show getting 100k viewers daily is a lot different than being shown on ESPN. ESPN Is big and omnipresent and on at bars 24/7 etc.

I don't hate him. I don't think he's a white nationalist or anything. My point was he feels like he's "everywhere" in the sports world because he is literally appearing on nearly anything football related on ESPN which is a massive percentage of their programming. If ESPN suddenly and for no reason just fired him he'd feel much less omnipresent. ESPN the brand and platform is bigger than any single personality. If Stephen A Smith died tonight we'd have a new Stephen A Smith in a few months.

I'm old and jaded for sure. But I also like a ton of "new media" coverage. I will throw on a couple of the gaming streamers I like when I just want some background noise while I work. I'm not completely removed from the modern sports landscape. I don't just want to bring back The Sports Reporters for 4 hours. Pat's certainly not my cup of tea but I absolutely see why he's popular.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I followed a few fitness people on instagram prior to 2020. Just normal meat heads who would post like "try this lunge if you're having tight hip flexors" or whatever. But once the gyms closed in March 2020 a few of them who never ever posted anything other than like, gym routine stuff did a speedrun to going fully insane by June of 2020. It was very funny but also scary and depressing!