Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Mike Tirico's little blurb thing he does on ESPN radio was pretty terrible today.

He made a "should we just let the stats and spreadsheets play the games now?" then "Yes the Angels have a better record but they're a third place team." followed by "WAR. What is it good for? Third place in the AL West"

I just don't understand how there is this misconception that Sabremetics is about predicting games or stats or something when all it is attempting to do is quantify what has already happened more accurately than AVG, RBI, ERA and other outdated stats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Tirico also pointed out that Cabrera had all the big hits and HRs down the stretch for the Tigers while failing to mention that that would have all been moot if the White Sox hadn't poo poo the bed.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I don't have a specific example of this at the moment but someone needs to teach journalists and other talking heads that correlation is not causation. For example:

"Team X is 6-0 when they run the ball at least 30 times. All they have to do is run at least 30 times and they'll win."

I see this sort of "break-down" all the time. Not only is it lazy, its dumb, because teams who are winning football games tend to run the ball more, especially as the game goes on. It would be like saying "They're undefeated when taking a knee as the last play of the game, so they just need to ensure they have the ball at the end of the game and take a knee as time runs out and they'll win!"

Ok not exactly like that, but sort of. Can anyone else think of examples of journalists doing this?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

General Dog posted:

Texas Monthly is loving fantastic most of the time. If anybody's seen Bernie, this is the story that it's heavily based on. It's pro click even if you've never heard of the movie.

For some sports content, let's revisit this Rick Reilly turd from the beginning of the season.

I'm curious to see if he's going to attempt to backpedal on this, ignore it entirely, or attempt to take credit for Notre Dame's resurgence.

And now Deadspin, who purposely left Notre Dame out of their dumb weekly top 25 all season long and would largely refuse to even mention the name of the school in anything, has published an A-Z Hater's Guide to Notre Dame. You can guess how well written it is. Picked a good time to start riding the ND gravy train right when you know it will generate a ton of page views. I won't even link it here because I don't even want to give them the pageviews.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Here's a nice a bloo bloo QBs need to be good ol' boys piece about Kaepernick because he has... tattoos!!!

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-11-28/colin-kaepernick-tattoos-49ers-qb-start-alex-smith-stats-contract-draft

Edit: apparently Benne posted this in NFL Week 14 N/V. Didnt check that thread first.

When even the usually terrible commenters realize how awful and racist you are, you know you've crossed a line.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
This is actually a pretty great investigative article from :siren:Deadspin:siren: about the San Diego Chargers doctor being a drunk quack.

http://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor-is-a-drunk-quack-why-havent-they-466685771

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Is it just me or did they remove that article?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

I have no problem with the idea of debate in sports analysis but the problem is that ESPN has created caricatures who constantly espouse incorrect and ignorant talking points and end up spending hours upon hours proselytizing their intentionally controversial talking points. The point that was getting missed by ESPN, and it seems like this new guy kind of "gets it", is that debate is not allowing two people to be intentionally antagonistic to each other and being allowed to say whatever they want without any facts to back anything up.

And more importantly, it's probably not even in ESPN's best interest to 'fix' the problem. Contemporary media is about page views and getting the public to talk about the product and since there's no such thing as bad publicity, they really don't care how stupid or ignorant their talking heads come off because it still keeps people talking about their shows, which leads to people tuning in because they want to hear what other stupid crap these people are going to say.

I read a lot about how people like Skip Bayliss are 'idiots' but honestly guys like Skip are tremendously intelligent people. Their brand isn't built on them being knowledgeable, just their skill at getting people to a) talk about them and b) get people really angry. In the current media climate, for better or for worse, that skill is immeasurably valuable.

I became keenly aware of this in 2010 during Joey Votto's MVP season. Colin Cowherd spent a week saying that Joey Votto wasn't really that good and his numbers were inflated because he played in a small ballpark. This would make sense if it weren't for the fact that every single one of Joey Votto's offensive numbers in 2010 were better on the road.

I was living in Cincinnati at the time and it pissed a lot of people off, but I guarantee it got ESPN 1530 a ton of listeners. It became pretty clear that he just decided to espouse a terrible sports opinion to stir the pot.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Onion Sportsdome really nailed how dumb ESPN is. My favorite was in the PTI and Around the Horn-like show they did where each guy talked about which athlete they would kill and how.

If Fox Sports 1 brought back Sportsdome after it launches, it would be the best ESPN trolling ever.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Here's what I'm talking about. They did it several times IIRC.

http://youtu.be/BFmj56xz8AM

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I read both of those very sarcastically.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2014/04/04/its-not-racist-and-other-responses-to-wahoo-protesters-at-home-opener

Great article on Cleveland Scene magazine about a confrontation between a fan and a native american protesting the Indians logo/name.

I feel a great deal of shame over this. I've seen a fed pro-wahoo tweets popping up in my timeline, and It's rather sad.

Go with the Block C. and just drop this logo.

I'm going to disagree with you only in the fact that the Block C is the ugliest, least unique logo possibly ever. You can't tell me that's the best they could come up with that wasn't offensive.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

I brought this up in another thread, and people keep bringing it up across the internet. Why? Because Spiders is an awesome name that really should be used immediately, and is already the best possible nickname not used in the four major sports (now that Pelicans has been taken).

I have an idea - Cleveland sucks at naming sports teams.

The MLB team is the Indians, a nickname introduced with a racist cartoon in the local paper on the day it was announced.

The NFL team is the Browns, named after a team legend, but their logo is an plain orange helmet. Not a brown helmet, or anything brown at all. Really, it's like if the Indians logo wasn't Chief Wahoo, but another racist caricature of a completely out of left field ethnicity.

The NBA team is the Cavaliers, which, really, what the gently caress. These guys below are the most intimidating mascots in Cleveland major sports.

Other names for the Cleveland NBA franchise could have been the Jays, Foresters, or Presidents. Jays could've been a little weak, Presidents would've been rad, but Foresters would have been amazing. Why? The Cavs' longtime arena, the Richfield Coliseum, was built in the middle of what's now the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. A team could've played in a cool arena in the middle of a treasured national forest, with a name to match. Instead, they're named after a group of Frenchmen who wore ridiculously stupid outfits.

In short, Cleveland needs to stop naming teams, and let the rest of us name them for the city.

Lest we forget the Cleveland Rockers WNBA franchise?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What a terrible point Stephen A. Smith made. He failed to even compare it to women who provoke their own rapes and sexual assaults by dressing slutty.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

NBA media really does more than any other sports media in the United States to try to drum hype for player moves.

Rightfully so. In no other sport does the landscape of the entire league change as much when a single player changes teams.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I don't know how many people in this thread also follow auto racing, but, um, prepare yourselves for some hot loving takes when people wake up tomorrow and realize that Tony Stewart killed a fellow driver.

I posted it in its thread, but that will be the biggest sports story of the century thus far because holy loving poo poo

You're nuts. This is trending below Johnny Manziel's professional debut. It's probably the biggest NASCAR story since Earnhardt died but most of the general public will shrug their shoulders and say "dumb hillbillies" which only further cements their opinion of NASCAR in general.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
(Entirely too big corporation fucks up the handling of controversy) x 2

edit: ^^^Ummm for Goodell to win that lawsuit he would have to prove that he is not a liar. Good luck with that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Lockback posted:

There are tons of NFL players who have domestic violence in their history too. This is a straw man that all players with domestic violence can never play ever again. Solo also has not been convicted, Ray Rice confessed and took a plea deal. Rice was indicted on Felony charges, Solo is facing misdemeanor charges. There is a world of difference between the cases besides gender.

One could then argue that the justice system, in addition to society, views a woman committing domestic violence acts different than a man. Which is also wrong.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I want to be completely honest, I barely know who Bill Simmons is. I'm a huge sports fan, but don't really follow the NBA or watch or read much from ESPN except watching live sports. The only thing I've probably even consumed that he was involved with is 30 for 30.

I really think some of you are overestimating his fame and popularity. My guess is most people over like 40 have no idea who he is and most casual sports fans have no idea who he is.

I believe you all when you say what a big deal he is and I bet amongst people that follow the NBA that he is a household name.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Politicalrancor posted:

have you heard of Grantland?

Yes I've heard of it but I don't read it.

Listen I'm not trying to say that he's not a successful or good sportswriter but I am saying that he's not as famous as people think he is. No one's dad knows or care who Bill Simmons is.

Not saying that means much, just that people are overestimating his fame.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
What on earth is this hot garbage? Did Kevin Durante gently caress this guy's girlfriend? Because the article itself doesn't give me any good reason why "Kevin Durante loving sucks".

http://deadspin.com/gently caress-kevin-durant-1654209438/

Yeah I know, it's Deadspin. But I don't expect vitriol like this from them unless it's Drew Magery talking about anything that normal human beings enjoy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm more shocked that someone respects John Saunders. He was one of the idiots leading the "Notre Dame is racist for firing Ty Willigham" parade. There are plenty of legit reasons to hate Notre Dame, but firing that lovely rear end coach is not one of them.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nerdfest X posted:

I am of the mind that the deciding factor that Willingham was hired is because he was black, just so the school could should the world that they were not racist (which is racist) and once they had that "check in the box" filled out, they fired him. And replaced him with a real winner. Because Wier is such a better coach than Ty Willingham.

Willingham was hired because he was the best candidate after the whole George O'Leary fiasco. There was nothing to indicate he would be a complete failure. He had some good (not great) years at Stanford when it was largely thought that you couldn't win at Stanford. Then he was fired after basically giving up and amassing the worst recruiting class in the history of the school. That class was basically the one that ended up as the worst team in Notre Dame history (3-9 in 2007 under Weis).

When Weis was hired he was like their 5th choice. They fired Willingham and pretty much everyone and their brother knew that Urban Meyer was for sure going to accept the job. That didn't happen and they scrambled to find another candidate. It ended up being Weis....and nobody really thought he'd be much of an upgrade over Willingham. But he was mostly an unknown quantity.

So basically, absolutely nothing you said was correct.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

*blows dog whistle some more*

*Is confused about dog whistle racism*

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Nah I was just making a half-rear end joke. ;)

That said, I think its naive to think there wasn't at least some racial component involved in his firing. At least to the extent that "fit" came up, repeatedly, about all the reasons he wasn't "right" for Notre Dame. I mean, I know he was absolutely the wrong fit for Notre Dame -- and anyone who knew anything about him should have seen that coming -- because he's simply doesn't have the temperament or personality that is required to be Notre Dame's coach (Lou Holtz and Brian Kelly are basically perfect fits), but some of that is also based on that your old, white fanbase didn't and couldn't relate to him. If you think that they would have pulled the trigger so quickly on a white coach... oh right they didn't.

Well, to be honest, yes.....they should have fired Weis after his 4th season but he ended that season with a Bowl win which Notre Dame hadn't seen in like 25 years and I think he was given a pass because of Willingham's lovely rear end recruiting class from 2004. But if you really look closely, Willingham was a few bounces away from being like 5-8 in that 2002 season. They had like zero offense and their defense continually bailed them out. You could probably say the same about Weis, but at least Weis could recruit. To be honest, I understand how some people could've seen Willingham's firing as being racist because words like "lazy" were leaking out from people in the know. But he really was putting in zero effort in the off-season and it showed in that '04 season with the worst recruiting class in school history. Even when Weis went 3-9 in '07 he pulled in a top-10 recruiting class.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jummy posted:

I disagree very much about his race not having to do with him getting fired, and I'd love to be proven wrong about this.

Willingham starts off his first season going 8-0.
Weis starts off his first season 5-2, gets a contract extension.

After three years Willingham's record is 21-15, fired. After three years Weis has a record of 22-15, and gets two more years of coaching. That was just from a very, very quick look so maybe I missed some important stuff, but basically gently caress Notre Dame forever.

Yeah you missed the fact that Weis was pulling in top 10 recruiting classes every year while Tyrone Willingham was hitting the links in the off season. Dude managed the 91st ranked recruiting class in 2004. In case you're wondering, that was sandwiched between Tulsa and La Tech. Even if Willingham was coming off a 9-3 season that year I'd fire him for that loving incompetence. Any loving moron could get a Notre Dame recruiting class in the top 30 at least. But this rear end in a top hat was so unlikeable that he actually drove recruits away. Then he went and did the same poo poo at Washington and people still give him the benefit of the doubt.

It's almost as if there's more to a story than just what goes on on the field......

edit: oh and the class of 2005 was shaping up to be even worse, with only like 5-7 guys committed when Weis got hired. Weis managed to get 8 more guys to commit after he was hired, bringing that class into at least the top 50.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 16, 2015

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Cleveland ownership is a pretty huge shitshow.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Just give her the Daily Show

Or give her a show on Comedy Central called "The Sports Show"

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

They tried that with Norm MacDonald.

There was also the Onion Sportsdome but it was very short-lived and thinking about it makes me sad because Get Out of My Face doesn't exist anymore.

Who Would You Kill? is a segment that should be on every sports show.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Puja Patel over at Deadspin wrote a pretty good take-down of the media's portrayal of the redemption of Ray Rice: http://deadspin.com/leave-janay-rice-out-of-her-husbands-bullshit-redemptio-1697717292

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Parlett316 posted:

One degraded a teller after their car was towed, the other publicly degraded the commissioner of a very lucrative business partner. Apples, oranges.

One is a seemingly decent human being who told the truth about a lovely human being, which is of course his job. This doesn't really reflect very poorly on ESPN as a whole, at least to the general public. The other was just being a lovely awful human being, which of course makes ESPN look VERY bad to the general public. At least temporarily.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh yeah, I forgot that lovely companies being lovely gives you a free pass to treat their employees like poo poo and hurl verbal insults at them.

Excuse me while I head to Wal Mart to call the greeter a wrinkly old ugly gently caress with fake teeth and saggy old bitch tits.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Mornacale posted:

Yes, these are the bad things that I don't like.

So employers should have no recourse for their lovely employees embarrassing the company and possibly harming their reputation?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Parlett316 posted:

Hypothetical employee can sue for wrongful termination.

They could. And in most states they would lose.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

commy gun posted:

Well what the hell else am I going to get out of it?

Lifelong debt?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Benne posted:

Bryan Price is Real loving Mad about a Cincinnati reporter doing his job http://deadspin.com/you-stick-it-right-up-my-loving-rear end-reds-skipper-ri-1699113409

I don't blame him. The sportswriters' jobs are pretty safe, while Price has a former major league manager breathing down his neck ready to take his job. Of course they're just doing their jobs, so I'm not saying it's their fault. But if you're putting information out there that could potentially be used against a team in a game, you have to ask yourself if it's worth publishing that little nugget if info. Would you publish a teams playbook if you came upon one?

It's more of a statement about the state of news media and the constant need to have the next scoop.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

zakharov posted:

These aren't the nuclear launch codes we're talking about here. The journalist's primary responsibility is to his or her readers. If the news is relevant, and especially if the manager was less than truthful (as Price was here with regard to Mesoraco), print it.

I agree with you mostly, but it still sucks and I feel for Price. But he's barking up the wrong tree.

Because you know what? The second he starts with "no comment" in response to certain media questions, he's doomed. You can get away with that poo poo if you're Bill Belichek, not if you're a 2nd year manager of an underperforming team where every loss brings you closer to the unemployment line.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Noted hack journalist Dan Shaughnessy got all pissed when the Celtics lost on Sunday and wrote an article bitching about confetti falling after a round 1 game 1 playoff win (Cleveland has confetti after every home win). He then proceeds to flaunt Boston's 9 or so championships in this century and then trots out the tired old jabs about Cleveland being a dying town and all that. Anyways, I didn't link it because you can find it on your own and I'd rather not give him page views, but you could probably write it yourself....knowing what we all know about Dan Shaughnessy.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
You'd think a journalist from Boston of all places would understand what Cleveland has been through, at least in regards to sports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

morestuff posted:

Or, like, any other coffee shop

No poo poo. Like, Dunkin Donuts is definitely where I prefer my coffee from, but if I couldn't find one open I'd, you know, find literally any other coffee shop.