Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

To NESN's credit I tweeted that article with the comment "Dear NESN, I can write better articles than this garbage, please hire me" and apparently they namesearch?

@NESN posted:

@Phylan We do have editorial jobs if you're interested. Visit http://nesn.com/jobs for more information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Also he seems to believe that people who wear jerseys think they're on the team ????

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

ahahahaha this is the guy's blog http://justwatchthegame.com/blog/

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

seriously

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

NAILED BY THE DONUT POLICE

I’m coming to you almost live this weekend from our cottage in Canada and this morning I got a good dose of the Canadian Nanny state. (They really should just change the name to Nanada.)
One of our family traditions when we come up here has been to go into town to Tim Horton’s for donuts the first morning.
My favorite was the chocolate angel. It’s creme-filled with chocolate icing. I was thinking about it on the drive into town. When I stepped up to the counter, I saw that there were no chocolate angels on the shelf and there wasn’t a sign showing that they were temporarily out.
So, I asked the woman if I could have two chocolate angels and she said, “Oh, we don’t make them anymore.” I knew they were one of the most popular items in the store and when I asked why they were no longer available, she said, “Too many trasnsfats. We can’t sell them anymore.” I said, “Why, because the government said so?’
She said, yes and said something about the Minister of Health. Or maybe it was the Minister of Pastry.
I said OK and made another choice and then made a snide remark to my wife about the Nanny State.
And that brings me to my favorite part of the story.
My daughter was still in line when the woman, who had been in line behind me, said to the clerk, “I’m glad that they’re doing something about this. I’m diabetic and there are a lot of diabetics who shouldn’t be eating that stuff. I shouldn’t even be eating this muffin.”
Unbelievable.
This idiotic woman knows that she’s diabetic and that she should be careful about her diet, but she still wants the government to protect her from herself. She wants someone to stop her from buying the muffin that she just bought.
She also wants the government to stop ME from eating a chocolate angel donut.
How the hell did the human race become this stupid?

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

MY loving DONUTS

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

how long am I allowed to keep posting these because lol

SILENT CAL, A NATION TURNS ITS LONELY EYES TO YOU

I don’t remember ever learning anything about Calvin Coolidge when I was in school, other than the fact that he was called Silent Cal, because he never said much.
Recently, I’ve come across some of his famous quotes and I now plan to find a good Calvin Coolidge biography to read.
One of my favorites is: “Any man who does not like dogs and does not want them about, does not deserve to live in the White House.”
I’m a big time dog lover and couldn’t agree more with that. I think you could do a good job of weeding out the bad presidents by finding the ones who didn’t get dogs until they were in the White House and realized it was the smart thing to do politically.
Here are some more quotes from Calvin Coolidge that make me think that we need a guy who thinks like him in the White House today.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Currently withdrawing my life savings and buying you all John Stiegerwald 'tars

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I've never had a "favorite" sportswriter.

Until now :allears:

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

That's one of my favorite Onion things ever

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Deadspin posted a great compilation of excerpts wherein Bill Plaschke wonders stupidly aloud whether players are distracted by completely irrelevant things http://deadspin.com/#!5794419

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

cereal eater posted:

(Guys are better at writing sports columns IMHO)

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/books/bottom-of-the-33rd-by-dan-barry-review.html?_r=3&hpw

quote:

But in an era when drug revelations and statistical reformulations have left fans wary of proclamations of pastoral innocence, baseball sentiment is rough terrain. Myth and Romance sit at the end of the bench, near the water cooler, replaced in the lineup by VORP (value over replacement player) and H.G.H. (human growth hormone).

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Ahahaha that is a Shyamalan-caliber twist at the end

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

It's a paraphrasing. You should really watch this whole thing, but this link'll take you right to the part.

this made me sad

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

That is like the least wrong thing Stieg has ever written. I even . . . a- agree with it?

edit: although he did use "baby mama" so he still loving sucks

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

swizz posted:

via Awful App,

what is this and is there an Android version

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

swizz posted:

It's pretty much what you'd expect, albeit slightly bare bones, and there's definitely an Android version. That's what I'm using.

Thanks guys

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Utley's back, but the Phillies have actually done better without him

quote:

Utley brings intangibles to this team that can't be replaced.

Some would argue that his presence on the field can't be replaced either.

Not so, according to the numbers.

Consider this: The Phillies have a better regular-season winning percentage when Utley isn't in the starting lineup.

That's right. From 2007 to 2011, the Phillies have a .591 winning percentage without Utley.

In games in which Utley has started from 2007 to 2011, the Phillies have a .574 winning percentage.

Is he a better hitter than Wilson Valdez, who fills in for him the majority of the time? Absolutely.

But Utley hasn't hit .300 since 2007 when his batting average was .332. And his fielding percentages at second base don't compare to Valdez's.

Valdez's fielding percentage was .993 this season, fourth-best in the league. Last season, it was .993 as well. Utley, though, has never had a fielding percentage better than .985 (in 2007) since becoming the club's everyday second baseman.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Actually on further consideration I'm fairly convinced that Mandy Housenick does not actually exist and is just one of you trolling me

@inthephilshouse posted:

@DashTreyhorn They do. I spent over an hour figuring out the math. The numbers don't lie. Sorry, but it's true.Read the story. You'll see

@inthephilshouse posted:

@DashTreyhorn I'm not saying that. It was just a stat to support my belief, and Ruben's, that he won't be the savior (Ruben's words).

@inthephilshouse posted:

@DashTreyhorn It wouldn't matter to you, or most people, what the numbers say. You all think Utley is the end-all, be-all. You're entitled!

@inthephilshouse posted:

@DashTreyhorn I just gave the numbers. Usually, you guys love numbers. But when they don't support your beliefs, then you don't like them :)

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

This is one of Mandy's blog posts on Jayson Werth last year

quote:

Many of you just aren't getting it.

I'm by no means saying the Phillies should trade Werth because of how he treats the media. I'm saying that his problems go way beyond the way he is with us. He said the F-word to that fan the other day, he hardly looks like he cares out on the field and believe me, many other things go on, that as reporters, we can't talk about.

Werth's play isn't up to par, at bat or in the field. And, his body language reads like he wants to be anywhere but Philadelphia.

Jimmy Rollins (and many others) would never say the F-word to a fan. He knows better than that.

The Phillies always talk about good clubhouse chemistry and respect and playing hard. They get those things from guys such as Ryan Howard, Brad Lidge, Chad Durbin, Shane Victorino, Jimmy Rollins, Raul Ibanez, Chooch, etc. Their attitude with each other, with the fans and with us all factors into the success of the team. They treat each other with respect and us and their fans. The same can't be said for Werth.

Many Phillies fans loved Aaron Rowand because he played so hard and treated fans, his teammates and the media like he'd treat his brother or father or sister. He was a great guy and it was impossible not to respect his tireless work ethic.

Note that on the day she wrote this, Jayson Werth was hitting .283/.373/.505

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

She didn't have anything, she just threw that in there because she's a loving child

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

The Klosterman thing was just kind of boring. He built it up well and I was interested and then it turned out to be just sort of a fun anecdote that he had billed as THE SINGLE GREATEST SPORTING EVENT THAT I, CHARLES KLOSTERMAN, HAVE EVER WITNESSED and by the end I wondered why he spent thousands of words on it. A nice long form piece is great but the content has to be worthy of it.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

What's really shocking is that comes from Jonah Lehrer, who has written two really enjoyable books and is an awesome regular contributor to Radiolab. I'm just going to pretend he didn't write it :smith:

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

SporkOfTruth posted:

I've been reading through some more of Lehrer's articles and they're equally infuriating pop-psychology/neuropsych bullshit dressed up with lots of studies used to make really vague conclusions. A bunch of other writers on Twitter swore to me that this sabermetrics article of his was an outlier, but now I'm really not so sure. His whole shtick is on misapplying statistics (which have often been obtained in a questionable fashion) to policy or medicine, and now he writes a lovely article decrying the (supposed) misuse of statistics in sports?

gently caress him.

Double gently caress him for claiming that the very existence of advanced metrics somehow induces people to misuse them.

His book "How We Decide" was pretty good IMO, but if you didn't like his articles I'm not sure how much it would appeal to you.

edit: Wyers can be really unnecessarily abrasive on Twitter, but his takedown of that lovely Lehrer article is not to be missed

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 29, 2011

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I mix them up all the time.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Having Prince as DH would be pretty amazing, and the Yankees have "gently caress you" money and it's not like he is a bad investment. I guess that guy probably had stupid reasons in mind though.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Here's to You, Ryan Howard

quote:

ON THE DAY AFTER the All-Star Game was played in Phoenix without Ryan Howard, this column is directed at the haters and bashers who have been coming out of the woodwork in larger numbers than usual.

They are predictable as smog in a heat wave. They pretend to be knowledgable baseball fans, but trip themselves up every time because they are dead wrong. And egregiously stupid.

I hear the reason why he was not voted into the All-Star Game by the fans - and Phillies fans basically ignored him while stuffing the ballot box for an injured Shane Victorino - is because the National League has all these great first basemen. And RH is no longer one of them . . .

So, chew on this: Prince Fielder went to the All-Star Game and captained a Home Run Derby team that was blown out of the water by a couple of real hitters named Adrian Gonzalez and Robinson Cano, who put on one hell of a show.

Not that Fielder is chopped liver. He is, after all, tied for the league RBI lead with some slipping, already over-the-hill guy named Ryan Howard. Each had 72 at the break. Oh, and Prince did rule last night, with a three-run homer that helped the National League win, 5-1.

But let me mention that Howard bats cleanup for a first-place team that leads the majors in wins and has the biggest division lead at the break in either league.

Oh, but he's a butcher with the glove (all of four errors), clogs up the bases (as if Fielder is Michael Bourn) and is not providing close to acceptable return for the $125 million salary. (And since that contract just kicked in and he's on pace for 140 RBI, maybe you should wait a while on that.)
[NOTE THAT CONTRACT DID NOT ACTUALLY JUST KICK IN]

Here's a typical email from a regular who has been on Howard's case since Day 1. He posted it just as the Phillies were about to explode for that 14-1 destructo of the Braves Sunday:

The Phillies are paying Howard more than the Sox are paying Adrian Gonzalez a professional hitter. That would be funny if it wasn't so embarrassing.

I replied: " . . . There's not one [censored] player worth what he's being paid . . . That's why there should be a statue of Marvin Miller in front of the MLPA headquarters."

Just then, Howard singled home the lead run off Derek Lowe in what was still a tight game.

The emailer's reply:

Only because for some reason Lowe didn't throw a breaking ball in the dirt. He doesn't get paid to hit singles off the trademark. He's killing this team like he did in 07 09 & 10.

This was the generic chant from the Tab-and-Scrapple Choir. He doesn't hit for high enough average, he never hits in the clutch (See Mike Schmidt abuse files from the 1970s). He needs to bunt or slap the ball to left against the shift. Yada, yada, yada . . .

One guy even invoked the despicable, undecipherable WAR stat. That's a totally bogus acronym for "Wins Above Replacement." It presents a patentedly unsupported hypothesis that measures the "projected" performance of an "average" Triple A player called up to replace Major League regular A . . .

I'm laughing too hard to continue. You saw what happened last season when Howard missed 19 games with an ankle sprain and was off-form the rest of the season, yet still managed 31 homers and 108 RBI.

In the words of Edwin Starr at Woodstock: "WAR, what is it good for? Absolutely nothin.' [Hunh!]"

For the record - and I'm giving Michael Jack a pass for his dismal rookie year - in his first five full seasons after 1973, MJS averaged 34.2 homers and 99.4 RBI.

So let's move on to some serious power hitting by the man considered to be the greatest all-around hitter in franchise history. That would be Hall of Famer Chuck Klein.

Klein was a candle who burned briefly but brightly in his five full seasons playing in a lopsided Baker Bowl that was tilted favorably for both his lefthanded pull power and defensive prowess as a rightfielder.

So let's put Howard's first 5 full years up against the Great Chucker. And I'm throwing out RH's Rookie of the Year 2005 because he played in only 88 games.

Klein had a 1930 for the ages. So did the Phillies. He batted .386, but failed to win the batting title in a National League consumed by an orgy of offense. He scored 158 runs, flogged 250 hits, ripped 59 doubles, eight triples and 40 homers for a gargantuan 170 RBI. Unfortunately, that was the year when Hack Wilson drove in 190 for the Cubs.

They must have been playing slo-pitch softball because the Phillies' team batting average was an incredible .315. That offensive juggernaut managed to lose 102 games in a 154-game schedule.

Howard is tied for the NL RBI lead despite being an island in the stream. Until Chase Utley came back after missing 2 months, there was a mostly inept revolving No. 3 hole in front of him and a No. 5 hole committee that underperformed.

In 1930, Klein had the best protection since the invention of the kevlar vest. He batted No. 3 with Lefty O'Doul hitting .383 in front of him. The cleanup hitter was third baseman Pinky Whitney, who batted .342.

Klein was traded to the Cubs after his fifth full season:

* The Chucker drove in 693 runs for an average of 138.6.

* Howard has driven in 680 runs for an average of 136.

* The Chucker hit 180 homers for an average of 36.

* Howard has hit 229 homers for an average of 45.8.

I'd rest the defense right there, but feel compelled to add that Klein spent most of his seasons here on teams in or near last place.

I don't have to tell you where Ryan Howard has spent his five seasons.

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 13, 2011

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

He has a point about WAR, which is like 1.something. You're telling me Howard is only good for 1 more win than Ross Gload would be?

Ross Gload's B-Ref WAR is -0.1. Howard's is 1.9. Wins above replacement are hard to amass. They're not like pitcher wins.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Orgophlax posted:

His point wasn't that his WAR number was wrong, it's that it's pointless to use to determine worth. There's no way with Ross Gload in the lineup everyday rather than Howard the Phillies would be close to the record they have now.

Yes, they would be quite close.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I was going to say Smoak but I guess when you consider positional value and defense and all that it would definitely be Gardner.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Not sure if this is under the "journalism" umbrella, but I really enjoyed this NotGraphs article http://www.fangraphs.com/not/index.php/winning-the-sabr-debate-part-i/

quote:

Rather, here I want to engage on its own terms the all too common argument that advanced statistics obscure the game’s beauty.

Rejecting this claim only requires making the seemingly common-sense observation that baseball is not art. That is, it is wrong to say that baseball must be appreciated in the same ways that art is — as something we admire for its beauty, for the emotions it provokes in us, or for what it tells us about the world – because, unlike art, when the game of baseball is played, a large amount of essentially objective, numeric data is produced. Where there is an element of subjectivity is in how we arrange the data, how we interpret the data, which data we keep, and which data we throw away. With art, there is no equivalent. While we can agree that some art is better than other art, there is no objective data that emerges from the art itself.

Moreover, it makes no sense to say that “the obsession with numbers in baseball detracts from the game’s beauty” because numbers are far more intrinsic to baseball than beauty is. Baseball is a game. Ultimately, the goal of playing baseball (as with any game) is not to produce something beautiful, but to win. At the most fundamental level, the purpose of watching it is to see who wins.*

You may indeed find watching people play poker to be like taking a stroll through the Museo Reina Sofía, and there would be nothing wrong with that. But to suggest that the obsession with numbers in poker (odds, for instance) detracts from the game’s intrinsic beauty would, for obvious reasons, be patently absurd. Baseball has far more in common with poker than it does Picasso’s Guernica.

It probably isn't revelatory or anything for people here but I thought it was particularly well stated. Also if you're on the Tweetor machine the author is a pro-follow: @fuquamanuel

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I don't know if this giant iPad advertisement counts as "journalism" but it probably fits in this thread

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb-tech-savvy-baseball-players-use-ipads-to-track-opponents-bloomberg-mlb-player-tool-081011

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

It's a giant joke issue. It's not really a particularly funny joke but it's kind of ridiculous to act like it's some kind of travesty.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

quote:

There’s a stat for nearly every action in baseball. Little is left to the imagination. Sports were never intended to be a computer program, stripped to cold, hard, indisputable, statistical facts. Sports — particularly for fans — are not science. Sports, like art, are supposed to be interpreted.

Just gonna requote this awesome bit in response to that Whitlock garbage:

Eric Augenbraun posted:

Rejecting this claim only requires making the seemingly common-sense observation that baseball is not art. That is, it is wrong to say that baseball must be appreciated in the same ways that art is — as something we admire for its beauty, for the emotions it provokes in us, or for what it tells us about the world – because, unlike art, when the game of baseball is played, a large amount of essentially objective, numeric data is produced. Where there is an element of subjectivity is in how we arrange the data, how we interpret the data, which data we keep, and which data we throw away. With art, there is no equivalent. While we can agree that some art is better than other art, there is no data that emerges from the art itself that can serve as a basis for stating objectively which art is good and which art is bad.

Moreover, it makes no sense to say that “the obsession with numbers in baseball detracts from the game’s beauty” because numbers are far more intrinsic to baseball than beauty is. Baseball is a game. Ultimately, the goal of playing baseball (as with any game) is not to produce something beautiful, but to win. At the most fundamental level, the purpose of watching it is to see who wins.

You may indeed find watching people play poker to be like taking a stroll through the Museo Reina Sofía, and there would be nothing wrong with that. But to suggest that the obsession with numbers in poker (odds, for instance) detracts from the game’s intrinsic beauty would, for obvious reasons, be patently absurd. Baseball has far more in common with poker than it does Picasso’s Guernica.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Check out @engeljen and Brandon McCarthy's feed if you want to see a writer being dumb as gently caress and getting owned

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

No one screenshot from McCarthy's feed will do it, but I think this suffices for the writer:

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Well, sorry

she works for Fox Sports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I know Deadspin is eternally the penis website around here for some reason but Craggs wrote a loving awesome thing about Tebow http://deadspin.com/5856237/

Which included a thorough drubbing of this piece of poo poo column: http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tim-Tebow-why-the-heck-do-we-hate-him-110211

quote:

(Do we even need to talk about this person, who seems to have filed her column from either the far side of Pluto or Sean Hannity's green room? Lord is she working the aggrieved-honky angle hard. "You cannot mock Muslim faith, not in this country, not anywhere really"? What the gently caress country do you live in, lady? I don't remember anyone except the ACLU protecting Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf from the "slightest blush of insensitivity." It wasn't so long ago that a prominent evangelical could call the Prophet Muhammad ''a demon-obsessed pedophile" and still be reckoned harmless enough for his most famous parishioner to sign Bibles at his retirement. The parishioner was Tim Tebow, by the way. As to the writer's thought experiment, "What if Tim Tebow were Muslim?": I'll just point out that a country that's ready for a Muslim Tim Tebow is a country in which Islam isn't so exotic that idiot columnists write fatheaded crap like "... and thus bowed toward Mecca to celebrate touchdowns," which is a little like saying a Catholic would celebrate touchdowns with High Mass in the end zone. That country could handle the mocking of a Muslim Tim Tebow just fine. This is not that country.)

edit: by the way the lady that wrote that piece of crap is Jen Engel, who I think has been documented in this thread more than a few times

stuart scott fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 4, 2011