Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

The Pussy Boss posted:

The only person that can ever "forgive" Josh Lueke is his victim. As far as all of our own personal opinions go, then, consider all of the following:

-- he plead out to a lesser charge and didn't serve a fraction of the sentence one typically gets for rape

-- he has never publicly shown the merest hint of remorse about it, and instead has tried to rehab his image with cynical appeals to Christianity

All of this is beside the point that this article links the "redemption" of a rapist to athletic performance, which is loving absurd. It's garbage rape apologia and it's not worthy of your defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

It's true that people joke about murder and death and terrorism and all that quite often, but if you consider the rate of reported rapes and sexual assault, on top of whatever inestimable amount goes unreported, the odds are uncomfortably high that someone you know, or someone at some large social gathering, is a survivor of them. You're probably not hanging around with any murder survivors. Knowing the full scope of the kind of trauma and triggering a dumb rape joke/metaphor/comparison could inflict, the only human thing to do is to just not be a shithead and make one, which is the easiest thing really. With cancer I suppose the frequency argument isn't really effective, but plenty of cancer patients/survivors use levity to help deal with their struggles (Tig Notaro exhibit A); that is categorically not true for survivors of rape/sexual assault. Like Gendo said, each of these categories of horrible things that happen are unique and have their own sets of baggage, but in the case of rape/sexual assault the damage that can be done is completely obvious to anyone who spends more than a minute researching the topic. It's stupidly easy to just respect that and to help people feel safe around you, so easy that if you choose not to you're pretty much actively deciding to be a prick.

As far as using the word "rape" with regards to sports trades/victories, there are a million and a half words you can use to convey that someone or some team got destroyed. If someone chooses that particular one out of a sea of possibilities it's blindingly obvious they're doing it to be edgy, and are therefore a total shithead.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

just read it

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/newsmakers/201304/buzz-bissinger-shopaholic-gucci-addiction?currentPage=1

then look at this gallery

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/11/07/buzzs-outfits/#photo-1

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

USAToday is launching a new "social sports site" called For The Win oh my god I can't stop vomiting http://paidcontent.org/2013/04/22/social-sports-site-by-usa-today-aims-for-fans-non-fans-alike/

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

VERRRDUUUCCCIIIIII

quote:

Welcome to the state of the art in hitting these days, where aggressiveness is disdained and passivity is exalted. The modern hitter is guided by the accepted wisdom in catchphrases such as "driving up pitch counts," "taking pitches" and "quality at-bats." There is one serious flaw in this groupthink strategy.
It isn't working.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

As a Christian white male over 50, I

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Wright Thompson

oh neat I'll go ahead and check hi-

https://twitter.com/wrightthompson/status/359650958390734848

@wrighthompson posted:

Would this be an effective PED punishment? Immediate lifetime ban and erasure of all records: You weren't ever a big leaguer.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Having barely followed the NL this year, what's the deal with Puig? He's really good and makes an error now and then and so the media hates him?

He MISSES THE CUTOFF MAN so he needs to be "broken" and "tamed" and no I'm not using coded language why would you sa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

Damon Bruce is a sports talk bro who went on an awful tirade about how womens' involvement in sports is ruining everything. Rob Neyer wrote a bunch of tweets defending him, because he like, had met the guy before, and now wrote a big hilariously awful column about it: http://www.baseballnation.com/hot-corner/2013/11/11/5089986/damon-bruce-knbr-san-francisco-radio-sports-host-women

quote:

We've all got our limits. But some people would prefer to wipe hate speech from the public consciousness completely, and I'm pretty sure that's the wrong answer. The optimal level of hate speech? I don't think anyone can say.