Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Crazy Ted posted:

College newspapers are absolutely wonderful places to go for horrible, godawful journalism.

That blurb was the most poorly thought out and written piece of poo poo I've seen in a while.

I expect to see him writing for a major newspaper within 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

That summer preview article was one of the worst things I've read in a while, even considering the vein it was produced in.

My over under on Grantland folding is 8 months.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

MorningView posted:

Simmons' fanbase alone will probably make it fairly successful, especially if they link to it on the front page of ESPN for awhile. I'm not a huge fan, but he's almost certainly the most popular sports writer working right now.

I agree with Simmons' popularity, but considering the number of writers they are talking about using, it will get expensive quick. If it doesn't get the hits (which no article except for ones featuring Simmons or Klosterman will) the plug is likely to get pulled. Disney is super tightfisted when it comes to stuff like this.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

True, Simmons is a gigantic baby and draws a lot of water.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Man-In-Madden posted:

That Simmons article comparing the NBA playoffs to The Wire has got to be his worse poo poo yet.

Agreed, though mostly because I haven't watched the wire and am looking forward to doing so.

An article based entirely off spoilers. gently caress you Simmons.

Yes I bitched about this in the NBA thread already.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

MorningView posted:

While I'm sure it is a true struggle to not read Bill Simmons, it's not like he's not telling you upfront what the article is. Plus, yeah, at some point the statute of limitations on spoilers has to run. Do you get mad when people talk about how Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's dad too?

Yeah, my point is more that I want to read the article, because I normally enjoy is basketball pieces (not so much recently though) but can't because it's filled with spoilers.

And comparing Star Wars and a show that is still pretty obscure to most of the population is dumb.

edit: Though since it's obscure it's dumb to argue that too.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Halal to the Chief posted:

Yeah, my point is more that I want to read the article, because I normally enjoy is basketball pieces (not so much recently though) but can't because it's filled with spoilers.

And comparing Star Wars and a show that is still pretty obscure to most of the population is dumb.

edit: Though since it's obscure it's dumb to argue that too.

Bah, ignore me, I had a bad day and am cranky and saying dumb things, sorry.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Edit: on second thought, not my brightest idea.

Jay Carney fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 4, 2014

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I work for the same corporate family as Simmons and our standards/corporate policy are written so arcanely that they could nail you for wiping your rear end the wrong way so I'm guessing this is the tip of the iceberg and Simmons went to war with his bosses behind the scenes and lost and this was used to partially justify the punishment.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Has Nate Silver done anything interesting or worthwhile since the election? The only thing I ever saw people talking about was making fun of his burrito disaster.

He's about to be really important, Silver wasn't just hired for Espn, he will be doing election stuff for ABC News as well, a huge amount of traffic will get redirected to his website as a result of election coverage.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

The new NBA contract is going to be incredibly sought after. TNT, NBC wants back in (ROUNDBALL ROCK), ESPN won't have a lot of room to make demands. I expect Simmons and ESPN will split and I don't know why a large corporation like ESPN would waste energy alienating the cross-section of fans that will follow ESPN and Simmons.

I don't know why you'd throw in the towel for 538 before the next election though.

If NBC sports could get basketball again I could see them make a play for simmons (that simmons would probably take)

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Niwrad posted:

BR sucks but they'd at least be able to market his stuff during games on TNT and I'm guessing even NBA TV. They also would link his articles off CNN.com and maybe even get him on the network for big sports stories. That's a much better spot for him than FS1 or NBCSN.

NBCSN cant pay surprising amounts of money and because he is an online personality primarily I would be surprised to see a broadcast noncompete with any real length in his contract. Which means NBC is in play which means the Olympics are in play.

NBC could do a lot with simmons and the olympics and getting offered the NBCU megaphone during the olympics could be something simmons would jump at.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Niwrad posted:

NBCSN doesn't know what they are doing and has practically no online presence. His podcast with Michelle Beadle actually mentioned that and how clueless NBC was. Has anyone left ESPN for these burgeoning platforms and been successful? I know there was talk of FS1 and NBCSN being competition for ESPN someday, but they're embarrassing at this point and would be a place he'd go to have his career die.

Josh Elliott who was former ESPN left GMA for NBCSN and it was a bit of a to do in the broadcast world. NBC has had a lot of high level turnover recently and are getting their poo poo together. I can't stress enough that NBC Sports is almost entirely Olympics and SNF dominated. The Olympics are really such a huge get for them ratings-wise that the build their entire network strategy around them.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

How did he work that deal out, anyway?

"producer" in TV is like "EP" in movies, it's a bone that can be tossed to most anyone.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Simmons isn't staying with espn out of loyalty, their pockets are much, much deeper than anyone else's. Add to that the fact that he is substantially less valuable to networks without NBA rights (fox/nbc) or without a full time sports platform (tnt) and it is clear why espn felt they could suspend him 3 weeks without fear of losing him. This isn't the first, or even 5th, time that Simmons grumbles about the higher ups at espn. And like every other time he will have to swallow his tongue and accept the truckload of money espn pays him. Hell, he has executive producer credits in all episodes of 30 for 30, in all its variations (original, "presents," shorts). Given DVD sales, the netflix deal, international broadcast and so on, that alone probably pays him more than almost every other major online columnist there is.

New president of DATG HATES paying out the nose for talent and espn views 30 for 30 and grantland as ESPN properies that aren't driven by simmons (they may be very wrong about this)

Other networks can and will pay more if only to hurt ESPN, but I'm not sure how much pay actually matters to him and he loves attention.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

DJExile posted:

Ah, gotcha. I take it it's more because he's helping promote/bankroll/etc the shows?

Sorta. It's more a matter of 30 for 30 being his "property" and as such he is producer/EP as much as credits require.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

xbilkis posted:

I feel like "someone's dad" might be a bread and butter demographic for Simmons actually

My stepdad loves him but then again my stepdad goes to Yes concerts and bought a convertible at 50 so yes dad demographic confirmed.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Lockback posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/gossip-bill-simmons-wants-out-of-espn-2014-10

Straight up rumor mongering, but I am surprised Simmons "only" gets $3 Mil a year for such a visible guy. He might be at his best striking off on his own.

Like how this is a bullet point list of just straight rumors but I do know this is not true:

"One digital media CEO said Grantland writers were completely shielded from traffic data and that there was little pressure on them to attract new readers."

They don't push the traffic metrics on the writers but the numbers are available and most of the writers look at them. Only a suit would think the buzzfeed/gawker clickbait style would mesh with longform journalism (buzzfeed has been trying the hell out of it with ok success)

He also most likely won't go to Yahoo bc ABC and Yahoo are partnered, but who knows.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

FMguru posted:

I'm not 100% convinced it was intentional. Corporate payroll departments, especially for giant companies like ESPN/Disney, move very slowly. Ever started a job and had to wait two or three pay periods before your direct deposit kicked in, even though you brought a cancelled check with you on your first day? Ever submit receipts for reimbursement and wait months before the money hit your paycheck?

As for finishing out his contract, I can't imagine he'd walk away for 4 months of paychecks (total value: $1.6 million). It's also a contract - he can't unilaterally break it and go work somewhere else. He'll go into minimal effort mode and spend all his time on his job search, and the day his contract expires he'll start work for his new gig, probably with a sweet signing bonus.

I work for the mouse, the is 100% true it took me like a month just to get my remote access credential to do expenses remotely.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

C. Everett Koop posted:

It was more of a joint ESPN/ABC venture and they bought 538 specifically for the next 17 months or so. Afterwards there'll probably be some kind of merger between Grantland or 538, or at least a refocusing on the latter's part.

Of course, Darren Rovell's Brandland(c) will render sports journalism, and eventually all journalism, moot anyway. Love the brand. Worship the #brand.

Specifically ESPN bought 538 so it could be stashed away for ABC news which has a much smaller budget. They thought they could get more content out of them I guess but it's going to be big for the elections. 538 will voltron up with the abc internal polling unit and in all likelihood be super wrong when Ben Carson wins it all or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

"Steinbeck's laptop" thank you horse racing for my new Twitter handle.