Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I didn't know there was MMA journalism, is it carried on the wire?

I'm noticing a lot of boxing writers are doing UFC now - take Kevin Iole for instance. Up here in Toronto, the Sun will dedicate a page to MMA once or twice a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Really, everyone ought to just start here. Gary Smith is phenomenal, and an example of how powerful sports journalism can be in the long-form format.

Start here. Then go here. Then here. Then here.

Then keep going.

e: Silly me, for forgetting one of the more memorable pieces he's ever written. Read this first.

Smith's piece on the last days of Jimmy Valvano is one of my favourite things SI has ever published. It's a great (and depressing) story.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

morestuff posted:

I stopped reading it when Will Leitch left. The tone shifted towards dumb gossipmongering, and they started featuring a lot more stupid non-sports related stuff. I went there the other day out of curiosity and they had an article about that stupid whiteboard quitting story.

I'm in the same boat. When Lietch was editing it, the site seemed more newsy - there was recaps of major sports and links and headlines. Since Daulerio took over, the site's focus has shifted more to being entertaining then informing. It's not hard to find a day when Deadspin has almost no sports news posted anymore.

I don't think it's all AJ's fault, since Deadspin's lost most of their good writers (a bunch to Yahoo, now that I think about it), but yeah, Deadspin sucks now.

It's funny that the same thing happened to ESPN's Page 2. They started off good, had more then a few good writers (Whitlock, David Halberstam, Ralph Wiley, Simmons, etc) and features (E-Ticket, AM Quickie or whatever it was called) and then slowly lost most of them and got away from what made them a daily read.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Basically, I'd argue Deadspin is in the entertainment business, not the news business. And that's okay, really, but it sucks when there isn't anything to replace what it did.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

dokomoy posted:

Today on PTI Dan Lebetard mentioned a profile on Roger Clemens(I think he said it was by Pat Jordan?) where Roger apparently yelled to hod "don't gently caress with me" or something along those lines. Does anyone know where I can find this article?

Maybe this one? I haven't read it, but I can't imagine Jordan's written more then one profile on Clemens.

Elsewhere, here's a selection from noted sports journalist Bill Simmons latest mega-column:

quote:

Aniston's life resonates with that demographic better than anyone. Now she's 41, still hunting for a man, her ovaries rumbling like Earl Campbell, but we're all a little confused because … I mean, how could Jennifer Aniston, of all people, not find a man?

I know he's low-hanging fruit, but even for Simmons this is pretty egregious.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I will admit that Deadspin has really gotten one thing right under Daulerio: their Dead Wrestler of the Week series is really good. What sounds like (and really should be, since so much of their content is) a gimmick/snarky look at wrestling is always a insightful look at the personalities behind 'sports entertainment.'

This week's piece on Owen Hart is one of the best examples of this. If you've never read this series, it's a good place to start.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

And this is why FJM is so deeply missed, ladies and gents.

They'll be taking over Deadspin for a day in a couple weeks.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

morestuff posted:

Really? Who's taking over?

I know Fire Joe Morgan is guest editing for a day, but I haven't heard anything about Daulerio leaving.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Copernic posted:

How does Steve Rushin get work?

It's a good thing he made clear he was quoting Mark Twain (not Roger). For a second there I thought HGH would improve both my prose and my fastball.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Here's a fun column where a guy repeats a sentence about the 2009 Yankees 50 times. I'm not kidding: it's the same sentence, repeated 50 times, on purpose.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
To continue awful baseball journalism:

Steve Simmons, Toronto Sun posted:

A lot of people are touting Seattle's Felix Hernandez for the Cy Young Award in the American League, just not me. You can't have a 13-game winner on a last-place team as a Cy Young winner.

Because the Cy Young is reflective of not just of how he pitched, but how his teammates batted when he was sitting in the dugout.

quote:

It means he put up all those numbers never pitching a game of importance.

This is because Seattle's games mean literally nothing. That's what never means, Steve - literally nothing they did at any point throughout the season meant anything.

quote:

My vote, if I had one, would go to CC Sabathia of the Yankees, the 21-game winner.

WINS ARE WHAT COUNTS BABY! COUNT 'EM!

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Okposolypse posted:

Steve Simmons is the worst sports writer and I refuse to believe otherwise. Just a blubbering beelzebub baby. His articles leading up to the 2009 NHL draft were incredible. One day Tavares was an egomaniac who would bust the next day he was Toronto's prodigal son and Burke needed to do whatever it takes to get him.

Between him and Damien "ya gotta ask, except I didn't" Cox, Toronto has probably the worst sports columnists per capita in Canada. Also, I love "if I had a vote, but I don't" part. There's a pretty good reason you don't, Steve!

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
This might be too inside baseball for even this thread, but here's a memo detailing what what Gawker Media - Deadspin, in particular - pays for scoops.

Personally I'm a little iffy on this. I used to work in an online newsroom, so I have an idea what an exclusive can mean in terms of revenue, but I'm entirely uncomfortable with paying for news. If you're giving money for a hot tip, there's always the idea that people are giving you want they want or trying to juice up a story a little to get some extra dough. That said, Deadspin is basically the tabloid of sports journalism and their history of paying for exclusives is nothing new. But I've never seen it laid down as editorial policy, either.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Let's take a trip down memory lane to when Rick Reilley didn't suck:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064748/1/index.htm

It's funny how that one issue has the only two of his stories I ever liked (this being the other).

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
So what exactly is the show supposed to be? Cowherd is a guy who says stupid things to get people pissed off. Are we supposed to spend the show laughing at him putting his foot in his mouth? It sounds like a crappy ripoff of Curb or something.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I like how he insults Kemp's girlfriend for literally no reason whatever. That's classy opinion writing, calling a player's wife a tool.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

The Goog posted:

I think he meant that it was another asset he brings to the team, like having a hot chick around every now and then would make the team better. Worked for Kris Benson, right?

I guess that makes a little more sense, although you'd think a person who gets paid to use words could phrase that a little better.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

morestuff posted:

Bill Simmons apparently went through his book for the paperback release and excised references to people who wrote negative reviews of his book. This includes writer Charles P Pierce and (apparently) the Free Darko bloggers.

This is great because Simmons is so petty he'll take out a few words from one footnote in a 700 page book over a somewhat negative review. You'd think somebody friends with MALCOM GLADWELL or CHUCK KLOSTERMAN and hangs out on Sunday afternoons at KIMMEL'S HOUSE wouldn't care what one guy thinks.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Here's a recent piece I liked: The Social Network - Joe Posnanski - Posnanski takes on social media and self-promotion through the lens of Jose Canseco.

Joe Pos posted:

The pretenders often have jumpy feet. The man’s feet are still, his legs are still. It is his hips that he moves to shift weight — first back into the ready position and then, suddenly and violently, forward. Hitters and their coaches talk about weight shift. Jose Canseco shifts his weight without any apparent effort. This is the result of swinging a baseball bat a million times. The swing is a part of him.

You might even say the swing is him.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Well, at least the art's better than the sports guy cartoon they used to have on Page 2.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Kim Jong Il posted:

The weird part about that is that TSN killed The Sporting Blog in hopes of a buyout that never happened.

Not just the blog, but a whole network of blogs (including a good basketball one that Shoals from Free Darko posted on all the time).

Also, didn't Daulerio post the infamous Erin Andrews peeper video? I'm sure I saw it linked on there when it first came out.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

leokitty posted:

Good luck to him but unless they're going to start paying people I don't see how the quality will improve a whole lot.

They do pay some people, but not many (mostly people at the very top of the chain). Also, now they have content sharing agreements with something like six newspapers and CBS Sports. It's starting to become a worry of mine that they're going to start selling their content - written on the cheap, if paid at all - to fill space in newspapers.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
While we're talking about KSK, this is probably the funniest thing I've read this year: Big Daddy Drew's brutal takedown of Whitlock.

quote:

Child, please. Ain’t no bojanglin’ in this column. Head up Scoop Jackson way for some real minstrelsy buffoonery. Your criticisms are real rich coming from the Moneyball Dude Of Game Shows. I knew Ralph Wiley. I studied under Ralph Wiley. I read many of Wiley’s Road Dog columns on Page 2, which were secretly really loving terrible. You think you know Ralph Wiley? Ralph Wiley woulda had Bodie take a bat to your dome for tryin’ to start a beef like that. OMAR STRINGER BELL MY BOY BUNK LOVED HIMSELF SOME PUSSY.

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2011/01/ksk-super-bowl-celebrity-pickakke-jason-whitlock.html

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I will say one thing in AJ's defence: he knows how to hype a story. He took something which probably could have led one of those Deleted Scene columns they used to do and with a little creative spin, a pretty banal story picked up a ton of views (over 110k).

Also, remember Sanchez has some skeletons in his closet, too. All things considered, I think the whole story is kind of creepy.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Tony Kornheiser got a sitcom a few years back, so it't not like there's no precedent here. And it's just a pilot, isn't it? Going by that script, I can't imagine it'd get picked up for a full season.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Remember, ESPN once fired Easterbrook for saying Jewish people worship money above all else. He's not really somebody to be taken seriously.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

"The Rabbit Hunter", by Frank DeFord (SI, January 26, 1981). DeFord on Bobby Knight, then at his prime at Indiana. I love DeFord's writing so, so much. Wear your tie, Bobby.

It makes me kind of sad to read DeFord's old pieces - all of which are some of the best feature writing I've read - and his current columns, which are nothing if not vanilla. I dunno if it's an age thing or if it takes a different kind of writer to do a weekly column or what, but it's a striking difference.

For the record, here's my fav. DeFord piece: Frank DeFord goes bowling.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what in the hell is his point there i don't even understand

Pearlman was a virgin until after college and he wrote a front-page story for the uni's newspaper about it. And then got interviewed on TV about it. And then, years later, put said TV-interview on his blog so he could talk about it once again. Here's a thing Deadspin did about it a while back.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I can't say I'm surprised. Remember ESPN's Page 3 and how quickly it vanished?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Less than 12 hours after a 8.9 earthquake hits Japan, Bleacher Report strikes with a slideshow of natural disasters and sports. It's since been taken down and replaced with links to Red Cross, but still, it was linked from their front page, meaning somebody thought it was a good idea.

barkingclam fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 11, 2011

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Bigass Moth posted:

I know I'm not a journalist, but if I could get paid to write about a sport by scrawling random one-sentence paragraphs about nothing in particular I would love to do it.

"Our team sucks? Add more grit.

So says this reporter."

I'm sure nobody really cares about this kind of inside baseball stuff, but some editors do that to break up longer paragraphs so readers aren't turned off by a wall of words. That's how I was taught, anyway.

Also, Frontline's airing a thing about high school football and it's associated dangers tonight. Should be another good watch.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone/about-last-night-13

I'm not even going to post quotes from it because you really need to experience it for yourself.

I thought this was some dumb blog thing before realizing that it was written for the Gazette by a guy who's been there for 30 years. I dunno how awful it really is - it's banal, but it's far from the worst thing I've seen in this thread.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Biblical angle aside, I thought it was just another a boring, unoriginal sports column. As a whole, it wasn't so blatantly awful I burst out laughing or anything.

But yeah, I reread it and the bibical stuff really is too much.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

dr.freeze posted:

I don't actually find the site that interesting. Is there really a demand for sports/pop-culture writing anyway? If its not done by people with talent like Klosterman it can get annoying very fast.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I liked what they had up today and most of the names I've heard attached to Grantland, so I'm hoping it stays reasonably good. I wonder if people from other sections of ESPN (like their E-ticket or commentary pages) will end up there.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Simmons' RSS feed has everything from Grantland on it, too.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I wish some publisher would collect a bunch of the better features from The National in a book. Same for Inside Sports, too. I've read a few in some old collections of Best American series, but it'd be nice to have some all together in one book.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I heard their server was down earlier, but it's working for me.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
If there's one Deadspin/Grantland thing I'm looking forward to, it's the inevitable Tom Scocca/Chris Jones fight. Round two, if you will.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Yeah, Reilly used to write some great stuff. I've always liked his piece on Bryant Gumbel, it's a great profile where Gumbel comes off as both talented and an rear end in a top hat and he lets Gumbel say it for him.

quote:

The only problem with perfection is that when you get there, there's nobody to talk to. "I have high expectations of people," (Gumbel) says. "When they achieve something, I say, 'So what?' "

People aren't good enough.

One morning, a presidential speech at the U.N. ended five minutes early. Connie Chung, the NBC newswoman, was anchoring the network desk with Gumbel. Producer Steve Friedman asked her off the air to remain on camera and help Gumbel kill time. She refused, saying she wasn't prepared. Gumbel killed the time himself, but he hasn't spoken to Chung since. "She acted in an unprofessional manner, so I disassociated myself from her," Gumbel says. "If it was an isolated incident, I'd forget about it. But it's not." Chung says she doesn't want to talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
And A-Rod is really Mephistopheles.