Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dan Lebatard loving rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Kalli posted:

Man, Highly Questionable is gonna be great this week.

Seriously, this is like the only show worth its salt on ESPN and it's a blast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

And just wait until you dig deeper into high school sports!

You could do an entire 30 for 30 on high school football around Texas and Oklahoma. "Pony Excess" touched on it somewhat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Here's an interesting take on the whole thing: http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2014/01/essay_anne_vanderbilt_dr_v_s_magical_putter_grantland_s_expos_of_a_trans.html

and apparently Bill Simmons is supposed to address it in a column sometime this week

quote:

If you haven’t read Hannan’s story yet, you should—I’ll be here when you’re done.

Please stop doing this, online writers. It stopped being clever 10 years ago.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

At the least, he should have reached out to the LGBT colleagues at ESPN, if not to outside individuals and groups, for greater understanding of a community of which he apparently knew nothing. That’s not even empathy, that’s craft.

That's really well put.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo jay glazer is loving nutty. Probably a riot to hang out with though

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Jota posted:

He is big into MMA and trains with a lot of pros so I don't doubt it at all.

Yeah I don't know if he can get someone Strahan's size to back down from him but dude is supposedly in phenomenal shape.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

To be fair, those are 4 years apart, and he wasn't alone in thinking Pete couldn't make the jump to the NFL game.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo :stare: That's a fantastic take-down.

Regis' reaction is pretty great too.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swizz posted:

I suppose this is only tangentially related to sports, but has anyone else watched the 30 for 30 short "Judging Jewell" on Grantland? It is excellent, particularly so given its relatively short length.

I saw this last night. It's fantastic. We'd talked about this story in some of my media classes in college and I'm surprised it hasn't managed to be more of a cautionary tale for journalist and media groups in this day and age.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

morestuff posted:

What exactly am I looking at, here?

:stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Apparently access is easier than loving ever these days. That 9/11 truther who stole the microphone from Malcolm Smith last night? Got there simply by telling security he was running late and flashed credentials from a concert he covered a while back.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

swizz posted:

David Hill's recent article on Grantland, entitled "Can't Knock the Hustle", is a fascinating look into the world of modern billiards and a really fantastic read

Pro click right here. That's an awesome article.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The 2nd most offensive thing to me is using "who's" instead of "whose"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo there's a name I haven't heard in years. Is he still doing stuff for ESPN?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Was he ever? He has a horrible blog that someone here found like three years ago and I thought it was so funny that I changed the thread title. Nothing has ever been funny enough for me to ever change it back either.

I could swear he was an NFL reporter for them a while back.

E: Quick google says he wasn't. Maybe they just had him on for Pittsburgh stuff every so often or something.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Phil Mushnick is at it again

quote:

At this point, in a world gone nuts, there must be dozens of NCAA, NFL and NBA players who belong to drugs-guns-murder street gangs, young women's auxiliaries included.

I just, what? :psyduck:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WEREWAIF posted:

What is it with sportswriters and steroids. It turns even decent writers into grandstanding hectoring moralists.

Pearl-clutching about steroids gets you a ton of views/reads from every white person over the age of 35.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

http://deadspin.com/first-take-discusses-a-womans-responsibility-to-avoid-b-1610831462

Holy poo poo Stephen A Smith what is wrong with you

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yeah that's pretty awful. Not sure what he was thinking there

I mean, I know on some of those shows they determine ahead of time who's going to take what side on things (PTI does this, to my knowledge) but I have a really hard time believing some writers or producers fed him those lines.

EDIT: Michelle Beadle is teeing off on him

EDIT2: Stephen A. is responding

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 25, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Didn't Mark Madden once get the poo poo beat out of him by Awesome Kong because he said we shouldn't have done poo poo to help Haiti?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

E: ^^^ I think that was Bubba The Love Sponge

Ah, that's right.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

god drat that's awesome

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBS is doing an all-female The View/PTI sort of show

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Anals of History posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what they're going for here. At best, this seems like it'll be a humanist-ish sports show for an audience that seems pretty small and quiet. At worst, it's exactly what the author thinks it is, which is a handy way to shove women away from sports broadcasting without having to own up to it.

I think the big thing will hinge on what kind of a time slot it's given. I understand the criticism of putting it on CBS Sports Network but there wasn't really any chance this was going to go on the broadcast network (plus, where would you put it?). It still really smacks of that "here, put all the women in one place. Now we're diverse!" thing the author is getting at, though.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

The FS1 all-female show would work if they did segments that wouldn't look out of place on SportsCenter, PTI, etc.

Which of course they won't because Murdoch's network has no restraint.

It's going on CBS Sports Network, not FS1

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

The Wesley Morris piece was really really good.

Also, interesting thing SI is evidently going to be doing. Going over career highlight photos with some of their most famous photographs/photographers. Really really cool and worth listening to all the interviews.

http://www.si.com/longform/neil-leifer/

This is a serious pro click. Neil is one of the best.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Print is nearly dead in every case, and weeklies like Time, Newsweek, etc have been dead and buried for well over a decade now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Who's more predictable/insufferable? BBarns or Greasterbrook?

Gregggg refers to himself in 3rd person, "TMMQB thinks...", etc. That alone is pretty hard to beat.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

And Whirlwind Jones writes, "It is so." in his notebook.

haha fair point

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Stephen A Smith comes fresh off a suspension for saying dumb poo poo about hitting women, and promptly doubles down on it

:stare:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hasn't he been showing up on Sean Hannity's show lately? He's obviously got some very poor views on women.

He's also now on that Mad Dog Radio station on Sirius/XM. Apparently he's the first black host worthy of the position

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I got curious as to what Ahmad Rashad is up to these days and according to wikipedia he's on a morning show on Golf Channel now.

Huh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Can't say I disagree with any of this.

Yeah I'm with simmons up until he calls his employer out the way he does. For better or worse there's basically no way that isn't going to get you suspended. Granted, the length of it is really dumb, but it strikes me as something an angsty teenager would do.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This was brought up in the discussion of the Shane Morris concussion: how much longer do we need to go before we stop putting "-gate" on the end of every controversy?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Thinking out loud here, what about NBC taking a run at him if they can get the NBA back and maybe use him to keep growing NBCSN?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

morestuff posted:

I don't know, ESPN and TNT both do pretty solid jobs

Yeah their NBA coverage is pretty solid, I guess I'm just curious to see NBCSN get a crack at another major sports league because they've done a great job so far with the NHL and EPL.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For a relatively new network, NBCSN getting US rights to the NHL and Premier League was a big help to get them off the ground and their coverage there has been very good. Outside of that though, their regular programming is nothing to write home about yet, although Dan Patrick's show is pretty good.

FS1 has... hell, I think one college football game a week, maybe 2. I think they are going to have some of MLB's playoff games though so that should give them some decent exposure but they're still really left wanting in terms of both regular programming and live events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Hell, he has executive producer credits in all episodes of 30 for 30, in all its variations (original, "presents," shorts).

How did he work that deal out, anyway?