Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Damien Cox is a notorious shithead, he mostly writes about hockey and tennis. He really does just openly troll his readers, has been known to turn about face on his own opinions week to week, and it's best to just treat his bullshit as background noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

There you have it, STEROIDS let you pick and choose how many homeruns you'd like to hit in a season. Tell you what, the syringes even have little HR gradations, instead of ml. Jose should have just injected 30 HR's worth, but he had to get greedy.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

davecrazy posted:

No one knows for sure why that person committed suicide and it's really lovely to lay blame at other people for 'driving them to kill themselves'.

It's also really lovely to out transgendered people after numerous appeals not to do so, especially as evidence that a person is being deceitful in order to break a 'gotcha!' style click bait piece, and that writer should feel extremely bad about what they did regardless.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I was pretty on-board with The Athletic last year when it started picking up but lately they’ve just been hiring the same boring old white dudes churning out the same boring articles I never wanted to read, and the voices that I did want to hear from haven’t been as active as I’d like.

I don’t really buy the concern over them cannibalizing the industry, the site basically exists because layoffs and cutbacks created a pool of available talent, and I like the model but if the content stays the way it’s been trending I’ll probably cancel.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

Mirtle is definitely one of the reasons to be suspicious of the long term future of the athletic because he's a dipshit

I knew The Athletic was doomed when he took what should have been a huge opportunity to hire new voices doing different content and instead just hired all his dumb white dude buddies from other papers to write more nothing pablum.

He also told a friend of mine that the Athletic doesn’t take pitches for stories meant to appeal to a female audience because “women don’t read sports articles” real quote.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

I hear Foles has got a big Snickers, if you catch my meaning

Yeah I caught it, unlike Agholor :rolleyes:

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I don’t know about the soccer pages but a lot of the hockey sites were basically zombies, one content person and maybe like 5-10 active users.

SBNation did it to themselves though, if you demand an insane content schedule while not paying people you’re gonna lose all your talent and then the readers will leave too, this has been a long time coming as sad as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DJExile posted:

Pension Plan Puppets and BSH were great but yeah a lot of the others were rooouuugh

Even PPP is a shadow of what it used to be, comments are a fraction of what they were and fan-generated posts are nonexistent when they used to be a big way that people got their start writing.

Also doesn’t help that there’s 30,000 pixels of lovely jumpy ads between the article and the comments and you have to hope the page doesn’t hard refresh to make you scroll through it all again for phantom views.