Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i like Bill Simmons because i think his existence is a massive troll to Rick Reilly

(i hate Rick Reilly)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah, the last few years he had with SI were pretty much uniformly terrible

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i'm not sure if this is the right place to bring this up, but does anyone think Deadspin has gotten really, really lovely in the last year or so? has it always been more about "look at the personal life of this ESPN anchor/sports columnist/Guy Who Hates Deadspin" than, you know, sports news?

plus they're always so insufferably catty, it gets on my nerves.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

morestuff posted:

"SOME GIRL ONCE TOLD ME SHE SAW FAVRE'S PENIS BUT SHE WOULDN'T GO ON THE RECORD AND I GOT AN AMBIGUOUS MESSAGE FROM HER THAT MAY HAVE TOLD ME TO RUN WITH IT SO INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR HER TO CALL BACK I'M JUST GOING TO PUBLISH BASICALLY NOTHING NOW EXCEPT ACCUSATIONS"

i mean seriously, this is the kind of poo poo mainstream journalists are thinking about when they say they hate "bloggers". just because you're not in the media doesn't mean that journalism ethics cease to exist.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

leokitty posted:

It feels like he writes at least one column a month about how much he hates baseball. Poor baby, being all forced to watch a sport he hates.

his World Cup article was the worst poo poo

i mean, it's fine to say you don't like soccer, but if you don't, please do not write a list of "ways to improve the world cup" that literally everyone has heard before "LOL THE CLOCKS COUNT UP IN SOCCER ISNT THAT SILLY"

i mean even Simmons never mailed it in that badly

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
please rename the Cy Young award the "Pedro Martinez' 2000 Season Award"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
:stare:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

jyrka posted:

Bill Simmons is starting his own website: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2011/02/18/simmons.aspx

For some reason I kinda hope he succeeds, I know he's really hated around these parts but it'd be interesting to see what he does without ESPN watching over him

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rick Reilly is now doing Simmons' mailbag thing, which is basically exactly like Simmons except with a lot more rear end in a top hat in it

link

quote:

You wrote:

David Diakoff (Los Angeles) | davediakoff@gmail.com

I think it's a good trend that the best players are concentrated on about 6-8 teams.. ... It makes the later rounds of the playoffs as good as they can be, which in my opinion is the most important thing for the fans and the league.

Your opinion is dopey. You're willing to ruin the balance of the league just so the "later rounds of the playoffs" are exciting? Did you take ANY economics classes in college?
You wrote:

Ignatius Fogarty (New York) | i_fogarty@hotmail.com

you should try going to a soccer game! In the U.K. (where I am from) rival fans are segregated, are not allowed to sit near each other. A ring of stewards and/or police will make sure that the fans don't get near each other. If you are found supporting the other team in the home team section you will get thrown out! I have been to a fair few NFL games since living in the U.S. and the experience is 100% way more family friendly than a soccer match.

And yet another terrific reason to ignore soccer.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 26, 2011

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This is what watching the Pirates for the last 20 years does to someones brain :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

zakharov posted:

I too wear my best clothing to a place where there's a non-zero chance I'll be doused in beer.

not to start defending the guy or anything but replica jerseys are more expensive than like 90% of my wardrobe

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

morestuff posted:

The "No Punches Pulled" tag on his site is especially appropriate, given the subject of his recent column.

:stare:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Badfinger posted:

It's like Reading Roulette except there's a bullet in every chamber.

let's go bucs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/boone/about-last-night-13

I'm not even going to post quotes from it because you really need to experience it for yourself.

god, I love this, my favorite Bad Sports Article Type is when someone starts with a shaky metaphor and keeps going and going and going with it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

A drat FOG posted:

Enlighten me, what characteristic of being a woman could make it harder to write a sports column? Is it the clit?

How much could one learn of sport from the kitchen? ha ha ha

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm surprised he didn't manage to work "Nanny state" in there

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crazy Ted posted:

Here is a link: click

In the link is a piece written by a basketball player. I will not tell you what is in the link. All I will tell you to do is read it all the way to the end.

what on earth :staredog:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is there like a sub-genre of "let's compare things from The Wire to this set of things" articles on the internet because I've read a ton

I particularly liked the one about comparing characters from The Wire to beer (Prez is Newcastle)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Hahaha link this please tia

Here
http://tinyurl.com/3katf58

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

At the end of the arraignment, the Judge assigned Marriotti negative points, slammed his gavel down and shouted, "NEXT CONVICT!"

Oh my god

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Does anyone under the age of 60 actually use that term legitimately

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Can anyone post that LBJ retro-diary in full (on Pastebin or something), because for some reason it times out for me when I try to read it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bizob posted:

Its almost as if Deadspin (and gawker media in general) has trashed its brand in so many ways that no one who can avoid it actually wants to work with or for them. And its almost as if Daulerio and Denton are catty, obsessive creepsters.

does anyone have that graph showing the site view figures before and after the layout change

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
oh never mind, i found it

:supaburn:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't entirely disagree with that, I've seen a few people be like "They should just get rid of baseball managers :smug:" without taking into account that the "makes sure the locker room doesn't dissolve into chaos" and "makes sure everyone actually practices" part of managing can be pretty goddamn important

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Who cares if it's an arbitrary mark, it's fun. Utterly arbitrary things being enjoyable to watch is like 99% of sports.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

dshban posted:

Oh jeez.

... huh?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
no, I think we're just talking Satan here.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
People complaining about the use of "we" are on the level of people who jump over themselves to yell when someone says "could care less". I Just Don't Care.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

leokitty posted:

Legitimate reasons don't mean that they are nice reasons.

"Responsible" is probably a better term than "nice" or "moral". And this was completely irresponsible if you don't assign any bad ethics to it, and along the lines of Nuremberg Files (though obviously not as serious) if you do.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

theres this crazy poo poo called nuance where you can like certain things about a thing and also dislike certain things about a thing and then you can decide on balance whether you like it or not

yes, but at the same time, if you start criticizing certain media conglomerates for something, you should probably make sure you aren't doing the exact same thing too

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Crion posted:

If it helps any I was mostly concerned with the national anthem being a breathtakingly terrible piece of music, let alone an "anthem"

America The Beautiful for life

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Steelers fans get poo poo on because they cheer for a rapist, actually

I look forward to seeing every Tampa Bay Rays fan get shat on this year

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PS gently caress Josh Lueke, gently caress Big Ben, gently caress All Rapists Every Day, Everywhere

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tae posted:

Hey, you might say the phrase they used for Lin is just an expression. Could happen to anyone, right?

Or...maybe this is just what they do.

oh for gods sakes :ughh:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I agree with the implication that Punto brings nothing tangible to Boston

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
personally, I found Skip Bayliss's attempts to spew stupid poo poo that lowers the level of discourse on ESPN much more endearing when I found out that he is also arguing in bad faith

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Shane Ryan is really bad and unfunny, I like most of the other stuff, that's my Grantland story.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bread, circuses, and dinger machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It worked better with a tablet, it really, really didn't seem to like scrolling with the arrow keys.

Great article, though.