Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
Really can't wait for Sportscenter to have all of these glitzy glammory cut-tos of clips and home runs and scoring touchdowns and loud noises and WOO HOO IN YOUR FACE SPORTS with an "anchor" saying WELCOME TO SPORTSCENTER I'M DAN HIGGINBOTTOM AS COOL AS THE OTHER SIDE OF THE PILLOW FILL THINE HORN WITH OIL AND GO and cut midway into a very calm, collected nate silver saying "if you look at the numbers, ..."

how in the gently caress is ESPN going to use Nate Silver to even justify paying him? I really really hope they do the same thing they did to Rick Reilly and make him host an awkward, clumsy sportscenter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

MourningView posted:

I would guess most of his stuff will be for the website, not TV. And it's not like they've never had numbers guys before.

the audience for that has really died out thanks to fangraphs, BP after Silver, etc. And even then, the entire audience is pretty drat small to justify hiring him away from the NYT, which probably didn't cost a ton, but probably more than they're willing to admit.

On top of that, ESPN's gone so far away from that, it's hard to imagine just building an audience from scratch. I mean, best case scenario, Silver works his magic and it forces fans like us to read ESPN again, but do you really see the ESPN audience embracing Silver?

fake edit: not that I don't love Silver getting back into sports, but this sounds like ESPN trying to regain credibility with one signing.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

morestuff posted:

He's going to be writing for ABC News during elections, too, so it seems like a good deal for everyone involved. ESPN gets gets a credibility hire, ABC News gets a proven draw, and Silver gets steady work during his "offseason".

Considering how you put it, that makes a lot more sense; but again, he's been looking to move away from politics, so this could blow up pretty spectacularly if that turns into "I don't want to do politics anymore."

Kalli posted:

They haven't gone that far away from it. Hell, they're only a year away from pushing QBR in football like it was this great revelation that was going to explain everything.

This is the same network that had FAVRE and is now promoting the poo poo out of Johnny Manziel. They have an entire talk show around Skip Bayless saying outrageous things. As I'm typing this, a guy on sportscenter literally ascribed the Dodgers' rise in the NL West to Yasiel Puig. ESPN has been behind the curve on stats for more than 10 years now because it never had ratings. They chose to ignore it and pander to the opposition crowd for almost all of that, minus the backhanded mentions of WAR or defensive metrics on sportscenter once in a blue moon. Brian Kenny was a pretty decent sportscenter guy who knew his stats and brought them up regularly, but never got a fair chance. He was given ESPNews regularly and was given a script and that was that. He left for MLB when they offered him broader roles. He created his own show and it's turned out to be pretty drat good.
Now maybe the football side of ESPN is more progressive, but the baseball side is definitely old boys club.

Not that the Silver signing isn't bad, but we're talking 10+ years of hiring like-minded "I like sports" people who grew up with the catchphrase sportscenters and don't see any problem with that. For change to happen at ESPN, it has to be massive. You have producers, directors, programmers, etc., who will have no idea what Silver is talking about and have no idea how to use him. A couple of discussions on Keith Olbermann's show is whatever--that show probably won't do well in ratings either since most of ESPN's audience doesn't remember him and Olbermann will probably leave angry again. Then you just have Silver and no platform for him. Eventually, they'll give Silver a small clip to talk and then give another clip to John Kruk or Jon Gruden completely negating what Silver said and consider that equal coverage. He'll be phased out sooner or later because the audience of ESPN won't understand him. Writing a few articles on ESPN.com won't justify bringing him on board.

Changing a couple of planks on the ship of theseus doesn't change the ship. I hope I'm wrong and I hope Silver finds a groove, but this most definitely sounds like set up for failure.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

If MLS becomes more popular and is able to distribute higher salaries toward its players, then the top American players will want to stay home to play. It feeds into itself rather nicely from there.

Barring a severe collapse of the entire UEFA infrastructure (which isn't impossible), Europe will always pour more money into its soccer players than America.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Groucho Marxist posted:

Holy gently caress the conceit of that article is peak Simmons

he got a 45-minute interview with an NBA championship head coach and used it for this.

a forty-five minute long interview.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Geno posted:

Did you expect some ESPN/Grantland article about their "talk" ?

I would've rather he spent that call asking questions about his tenure as the Celtics coach, what he learned, what he wishes he would've done differently, loving ANYTHING he would open up about, as any other half-decent reporter would've done with 45 loving minutes to take to a head coach. 45 minutes is a loving lifespan for interviews. Some of the best poo poo you've ever read came from a 45-minute interview. There are plenty of people working in the Boston news corps who would've loved to spend that much time with Doc.

Instead, he took that time trying to force Doc into saying BS was right about some stupid unimportant theory of his.

That's Bill Simmons in a nutshell.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
OK, I see it was a footnote to the story and not any main part of it. That makes more sense. Still, gently caress Bill Simmons.

Geno posted:

I have no idea why you would consider BS a reporter or expect him to be one.

Their talk was probably something ESPN/LAC made them do and was off-the-record so it was surprising to actually hear something outside of that tweet of them having a conversation.

I don't, I'm mad he has this access and he used it for his stupid poo poo. There are plenty of other people who write things for a living and could've destroyed an interview with Doc.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Grittybeard posted:

Didn't he continue to sell it for an uncomfortably long time after he was awarded first base or am I remembering this incident wrong?

vv--No I meant Jeter on the HBP

Yes. It wasn't particularly borderline either since the ball clean missed his head.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

BrooklynBruiser posted:

You're thinking of a different one.

That's one where Corey Kluber hits his helmet.

This is the fake one:

oh. I thought there was one where he ducked and the ball hit his bat and he faked being hit in the head for a while. I know Berkman did it, but I thought Jeter did too.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
the "FEMA COFFINS REVEALED" sidebar image/headline pulls everything together.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
NYT sports section has never been anything special either, so this isn't that great of a victory, but gathering the other three with this one is pretty good for them.

Any mention on if these guys are going to travel with the teams still?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

sba posted:

I like the point that that jerkoff has made a living off of college athletes. Where does that put him on his little food chain?

Someone responded: "does that make you a pimp?"

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Moe_Rahn posted:

Well, yeah, it's a GQ article.

I expect only the most reasonable and articulated columns from my frothy passive-aggressively macho alterna-hetero rags.

Seriously though the purpose of that column is to drag attention from readers who don't normally read GQ. Its the opinion of a person who probably knows sports but isnt at all familiar with the sports writing world. Mission accomplished.

We could probably say the same about Reilly's role at ESPN, since I think their readership is down and he seems to be trolling these days.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Their exploitation of under-developed countries is horrifying. How and why would you convince South Africa, Brazil, and Qatar to build these enormous architectural achievements without helping to provide an infrastructure that could not only maintain them, but put them to a justifiable use? Brazil is spending something like 4 billion just on refurbishing and creating stadiums and upgrading all of the airports in the country. That was South Africa's TOTAL BUDGET.

It's kinda cool that Brazil is looking to build some stuff for long-term use, but what the hell is Cuiaba going to do with a 42,000-capacity stadium and a light rail??

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
please, it's the rust belt of Brazil.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Same thing is happening in China and South Africa already. South Africa's stadia are all but deserted.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Redeye Flight posted:

I can't help but think it would be more cost-effective to select a country to host a permanent Olympics site. It's pretty clear at this point that the one-off of the Olympics never brings in enough money to offset the cost of building all the infrastructure, a lot of which never gets used again.

They're getting a little smarter; IOC and FIFA are kinda, sorta working together. They gave Brazil the 2014 World Cup and the 2016 Olympics, which should help cover some of the costs. Russia got the 2018 games and is hosting the winter games in 2014, so Sochi's Olympic stadium should get some double-use. Since Qatar is getting the 2022 World Cup, it's possible they also get the 2024 Olympics, but the ban on gays may be a far more serious issue for Olympics.

Still, it's justification for a pretty lovely process and the exploitation of slowly developing countries who should absolutely be spending this money on infrastructure rather than international sports.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Emanuel Collective posted:

Do you think that Adrian Peterson is to blame for his son's brutal, unthinkable murder? Because he got a speeding ticket and stuck around in a club too long? Because he had a child out of wedlock? Because Peterson's own father was a criminal? No? Well Phil Mushnick is here to blow your mind:

http://nypost.com/2013/10/13/sons-death-doesnt-make-adrian-peterson-a-great-person/?utm_source=SFnewyorkpost&utm_medium=SFnewyorkpost

that's maybe the most despicable thing I've ever read.

e: I mean I know he's a NY Post writer and they're all shooting for the lowest common denominator, but seriously, that lowered the bar quite a bit.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

MourningView posted:

I don't know what Gawker is paying the guy but it cannot possibly be worth doing that all day long every day.

it's probably pennies on the dollar of what he should be making.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Peta posted:

how scripted is espn first take?

e: i always figured they're just told to sensationalize their dumb opinions but i then i read some things that were like, "you're an idiot if you can't tell first take is massively scripted." :ohdear:

Kinda depends on your definition of scripted. They're not making up their opinions on the spot, they definitely know what they'er going to say and they know each others retorts, as with most sports talk shows. Skip Bayless is the loving Alfred Borden of sports talk though because he's almost never out of character to the point where you wonder if he actually believes the poo poo he's saying.

we should tell his daughter he's an idiot

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Twitter IPO today is peak Darren Rovell if you find his act as hilarious as I do

I couldn't keep following him after this. Dude's a tremendous scumbag.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

leokitty posted:

CBS Sports laid off a bunch of people including their two baseball columnists Scott Miller and Danny Knobler. They also scrubbed them completely from the site, meaning their archives are gone.

whoa, that's bizarre. Why?

Sucks for Knobler, he's a really good reporter.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Reilly stopped listening to dissenters years ago

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

morestuff posted:

Could have been worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY666mL4z4E

i couldnt find a better clip sadly

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
hahahhahahahaha "post-human"

gardenald posted:

"Nascent dwarf planet" is probably the best fat joke I've seen in some time, if I'm honest

I agree, though I'm uncomfortable with it

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Allow me to teach you how to Embrace Debate

If your entire network is predicated on this, then what the hell is your network's mission statement?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

AsInHowe posted:

If Simmons doesn't write, Twitter complains that he's dodging the issue. Kind of a zero-win game for him.

The game he started playing was calling out a trans woman.

Simmons' entire brand is the selfish sports fanboy and this apology reflects that. In the majority of it, he's still trying to defend the thought processes that led to publishing it, even going so far as to say "Hey, people liked it at first! We weren't the only ones that grossly misunderstood these concepts!" It'd be a lot better had he just taken that out, but then Bill Simmons wouldn't be Bill Simmons if he didn't make it about himself. This is why I was saying on twitter it was a bad idea for him to write the apology, but there's no one else that really could.

That said, even in his childish understanding of things, Simmons' apology has some value, which is more than I can say about his endless catalog of mindless blather.

Why we're even talking about this when Christina Kahrl's piece knocked it out of the park is beyond me.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

joshtothemaxx posted:

So is the writer ever going to say anything? I'm pleasantly surprised by Simmons' response, but have nothing to add other than echo that e doesn't fully get lgbt issues.

The dude was shaken up by it. I don't think there's anything of value he can say, he clearly just didn't know what he was doing.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
Additionally, dude's gotten pretty hosed up from thinking he indirectly killing someone and receiving death threats for it. We should probably think about his mental health right now, even if he didn't return the favor to Dr. V.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

quote:

The story itself is structurally clumsy and flabbily edited. Yet Grantland’s gatekeepers – including Bill Simmons, the site’s founder and editor-in-chief, and more than a dozen editors in all -- waved the story on through seven months of meetings and drafts and tweaks. They may have been blinded by the idea that had captivated them in the first place, the self-absorbed young man looking for his quick fix, a metaphor for the times and perhaps Grantland’s demographic. But that was not the story any more.

gahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha oh man that's good. that's really good. And probably 100% accurate.

I'm loving this ombudsman.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Dude just trolled the poo poo out of American hockey fans in one fell swoop better than @twolinepass has ever done to Canadians.

Too bad he didn't just stay off the internet for a while

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Hand Knit posted:

Given what Ken Campbell usually posts, it is usually safe to guess that he's not trolling but actually sincerely very stupid.

It doesn't matter to me if he means it or not, I haven't seen that many Americans pissed about a hockey article ... ever. It hit just the right notes at a fever pitch of American interest in hockey.

DJExile posted:

The 2nd most offensive thing to me is using "who's" instead of "whose"

"noone"

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
it's a good day to be an atheist

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Benne posted:

"We can dump around $7 million into Ezra Klein's vanity project, but we can't afford to pay our piddly news desk guys." Yup, sure makes sense :thumbsup:

This is my main problem with media today. People who are talented and even-handed at reporting are often the first cut. People who manage to grab attention, or bait people, or say outlandish things, bring in the money and push out the talent. It's a pretty cruel world out there for news and has been for a while.

Sorry to hear about it. Hopefully they can pick you back up if it brings in more money.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.
I actually have never read any of those, so thanks :) That TCU one is incredible.

I still look at this one, though, as the one that captured my imagination like no other.

The broken bones posted:

(About Gift Ngoepe, the South African kid who the Pirates signed about 7 years ago) http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1158635/index.htm

Smith had this unbelievable ability to draw his audience into the scene with him. I remember this one where he turned this ho-hum story about a really great high school basketball coach in a small town that everyone loved and turned it into this beautiful piece of a man who wanted to be the best, wanted his students to be the best people they could be, but kept everyone at arm's distance. I wish I could remember which story that was, it was gorgeous.

Gonna miss him.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Kalli posted:

I mean really, what can even be said at this point?

up next on clevelanddotcom, will lebron james invest in the rock n roll hall of fame to announce his move to the cavs?

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Crion posted:

Drew Magary really is the Frustrated White Dad Sports Columnist for the modern era, which is something we really need in sportswriting at all times I guess.

I'm looking forward to our kids' generation shaming his awful writing and forcing him into early retirement :911:

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

Deathlove posted:

Looks like Neyer's getting his own long-form-type site - http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/get-ready-for-just-a-bit-outside-foxsports-com-s-new-baseball-destination-071514

God, that Fox Sports site is loving unreadable.

I don't know if there's a guy with less political capital in this field that could start that site. Jonah Keri starting an all-Expos version of Grantland would probably be more popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

I will meet you there.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Laughing out loud at the font.

that's a nice touch