Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Weebly posted:

Does this show even have a name yet?

The aristocrats!

The cover page says "Herd Mentality"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

barkingclam posted:

Tony Kornheiser got a sitcom a few years back, so it't not like there's no precedent here. And it's just a pilot, isn't it? Going by that script, I can't imagine it'd get picked up for a full season.

People like Kornheiser, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

OctoberBlues posted:

Wasn't that before Kornheiser got big on PTI though? (because it was actually like seven years ago, god I feel old) So I guess despite the terrible script, he would at least have the fact that he's pretty popular right now going for him...

Nah, PTI had been on for around three years at that point and was already pretty well-established.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

jyrka posted:

Bill Simmons is starting his own website: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2011/02/18/simmons.aspx

I see this as less him starting his own website and more him finally killing off Page 2.

Edit: He also appears to have hired Lane Brown from Vulture. I don't read it, but I know people who do and enjoy it.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 18, 2011

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fag Boy Jim posted:

For some reason I kinda hope he succeeds, I know he's really hated around these parts but it'd be interesting to see what he does without ESPN watching over him

The site is still owned by ESPN.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ZerodotJander posted:

Is there anywhere I can watch those 30 for 30 documentaries? I never heard about them until recently and a lot of them seem really really cool.

They're being released on DVD, and Netflix has them in stock. Some of them have also been posted to Youtube.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

ESPN has hired Dean Oliver, stat nerd, as their "director of production analysis". Interesting move.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

What does "Director of Production Analysis" mean exactly? I read the article and was still left a little bit confused.

This should make some people here happy.

quote:

Meaning? He's supposed to come up with new stats, for various sports, for ESPN.

While a bit secretive about what's in his laboratory Petri dishes, Oliver suggests some common stats will become largely extinct. Like baseball batting averages, which he says should be replaced by a combination of on-base and slugging percentages. And current quarterback ratings should broadened to how much quarterbacks keep their own defenses off the field. Wide receivers catch stats could also include drops.

And the typical tack of just judging hoops teams on how many points they average and give up per game just tells you mainly how fast they play — "and it's not how fast you run that counts, it's how you take advantage of possessions."

Sports talk, he says, will have to evolve. "We have to introduce new language. You can get lazy using convenient language. Like with common discussions of basketball players' per-game points, rebounds and assists. That has to be replaced. How many team wins does he contribute? How often do his passes lead to buckets and free throws?" But he concedes it's easier to find flaws in stats than invent ones: "RBI, in 10 years, will have gone away. What's more of a battle is what it's replaced with."

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

jyrka posted:

Also check out the comments for some angry and crazy people!

This one's my favorite:

quote:

..everyone calm down....this guy will be punching his wife or girlfriend soon enough...then we can all expect new statistics...like on-air personalities at ESPN produce a wonderful arching curve inversely related to the actual talent they have vs the perceived talent their ego's tell them they possess, and that quotient is then expressed in the proof of vodka.

I HOPE THIS GUY BEATS HIS WIFE SO WE CAN BE DONE WITH HIS ARROGANT rear end, GUH

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Meltathon posted:

Well, I was just guessing. I figured 4 hours of work for a reporter to get to and watch the game, then the small amount of time to publish it on the web would run about $250. Even still, if it costs $100 a game, I can't see how using a computer generated story wouldn't save tens of thousands of dollars over the long run.

Part of the appeal might be for sites that just want content quickly. You can throw up the computer-generated jargon immediately as a placeholder while waiting for the AP to send a complete game story over the wire or for your stringer to file his work.

That's probably a little bit of a stretch, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A drat FOG posted:

Is the dude's twitter advertised or sponsored in an official capacity by his employer?

Yeah, what Fisticuffs said. Reporters have been disciplined (and will be disciplined again) for stuff posted on personal Twitter, Facebook and message board posts.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Fisticuffs posted:

He had another tweet asking all IU/PU recruits why they'd rather go to one of those schools rather than "the best program in the state(he's smart enough to avoid committing an NCAA violation by OPENLY pimping Butler)." He knows what he's doing is not innocuous, as any reporter would.

Sadly, this is not always true.

drat FOG, most reporters sign an agreement to present themselves in public in ways that are consistent with their jobs. If there was a political reporter openly campaigning for a candidate on their Facebook page, it would be a similar situation. It's generally just a good idea to keep your private opinions private, even if that only means making your Twitter page invitation only.

To some extent, though, it's just sports. Especially in small towns, there's at least some expectation that the paper will be pulling for the home team. I don't really agree with how far some writers go, but it's an understandable way of engaging your readers.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The "No Punches Pulled" tag on his site is especially appropriate, given the subject of his recent column.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

toadee posted:

Ben Rothlesburger: Might be a tad out of line with entitlement while raping women.

At least we know he's not a sissy, like that disgusting Mr. Rogers.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I'm interested in goons' opinions on the piece about BYU that Deadspin just released but we can't stop this Stiegerwald train :allears:

I think the reporting is good, but I had some issues with the tone, particularly the section discussing the church's history with minorities. There's nothing wrong with having a perspective, but I always think that in a story like this you undercut yourself when you drift into making black-and-white declarations like they do.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

How about some good writing? I enjoyed this.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Badfinger posted:

Doesn't Tanier have a decent gig already with the New York Times? You'd probably have to blow him away with a contract or offer him a lot of freedom.

If he just writes for their football blog, he's likely a freelancer rather than a full-time employee. I'm sure it pays OK, but that's just supplementary income.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Mornacale posted:

Why did he call them all assholes?

Here's the context.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 21, 2011

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Speaking of Grantland, A.J. Daulerio decided to write a huge pile of words about Grantland and negotiations with Tommy Craggs and then openly admitted at the end that the column he's just penned could put Craggs' potential contract with ESPN in Jeopardy.

Seriously: http://deadspin.com/#!5796720/an-exclusive-interview-with-tommy-craggs-about-the-bill-simmons-grantland-project

But he JUST HAD TO GET IT OUT THERE, OUT OF DUTY

Also, this had one of the more-tortured metaphors I've seen recently (it's also a lovely article):

quote:

He stayed just one year at Auburn and left with a BCS championship and a Heisman. But he also left behind a string of controversies as long as beer cans tied to a wedding couple's getaway car.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The broken bones posted:

where are you seeing them? main site still has "coming soon."

Simmons posted them on his Twitter. Here's the Katie Baker piece.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Page 2 tried to be funnier and more quirky and badly failed in most instances while Grantland appears to be more of a throwback to the time when sports writing existed in essay form and personal opinions/experiences/views were called in to play. It has a niche carved out between E-Ticket features (more strictly reporting ventures) and regular features on the ESPN website.

That said, I couldn't get more than halfway through the Knicks' piece because I can't stand to read about them, and I hope their content doesn't become romanticizing over the few teams with mainstream identities.

Yeah, I like that kind of long-form writing, but Katie Baker's piece didn't hook me. And I don't think I've ever said this before, but the summer-movie preview was probably better suited for one of those dumb slideshow articles.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Simmons is kind of a douche, and his shtick has gotten stale for me personally, but I don't get why people are being overly pessimistic about Grantland. The previews have just been so-so, but there's some legitimate talent being brought in. A regular forum for long-form, feature-style sportswriting seems like a nice step for ESPN. Just like E-Ticket, it'll probably be hit or miss, but at least it's an attempt to break out of their normal rut.

People were more than eager to poo poo on 30 For 30 before that came out, too, and it produced some pretty stellar hours of television.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

BackInTheUSSR posted:

There are a few other sports journalists here, right? Has this profession made you hate sports as much as it has to me? When I started college I was this huge superfan homer and then I realized that everyone who goes to college for journalism is just doing it so they can watch their favorite teams in a press box and eat free food. Totally turned me off. I had some coworkers who got ejected from the press box for yelling at UCF's own players in anger. I enjoy writing about sports, but it's really hard for me to muster up any passion for sports anymore.

I used to work as an assistant sports editor at a couple of places. I definitely got tired of working on, and talking about, the same poo poo day in and day out.

Are you still in school? Most professional sportswriters I've worked with have some level of detachment.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 11, 2011

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

You know those times when a journalistic outfit has their priorities out of order? Enter the NCAA Football section of ESPN Insider...

I was wondering about that. At least they realized it (if a little too late):

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Funny how it met editorial standards to be posted in the first place.

I'm sure Albert Lin (and his editor, if he has one for blog posts) got chewed out about it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

See item six. Can we please eliminate "nips" as a sports term if people aren't responsible enough to use it?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

"Nip" is a slur on Japanese people and Choi is Korean. I think you're seeing something that isn't there.

Just to be clear, I don't think it was intentional. But I'd personally avoid using "nips" in any context referring to an asian man.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Step forward Ray Ratto, a man who apparently takes NBA draft lotteries very seriously...

quote:

In fact, as Cuban has become more serious and less maverick-ish (no pun intended)

Yes, I certainly didn't intend this doozy as a pun! Maverick-ish is just a term that I use all the time.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Seriously today might be one of the most retarded days in sports journalism I've ever seen because the national media actually thinks that David Kahn was seriously alleging that David Stern rigs the lottery instead of just joking around with the Utah Jazz GM.

link

I was kind of surprised to see that Eric Freeman was the one who wrote that. I usually like his stuff, but this is pretty horrible.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Raab is the same guy that had his credentials revoked after trolling Lebron on Twitter. This is what he said at that time:

quote:

“Twitter can be a fairly intoxicating medium,” Raab said. “I came up as a fiction writer and fell in love with journalism because the feedback is much faster. And Twitter multiples that.”

But, he added, “I probably have to dial back my Twitter persona.”

Yeah, no poo poo.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe I'm just reading this incorrectly, but did AJ Daulerio intentionally sabotage an employee's meeting about a potential job with ESPN?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

Yea that Mike Silver twitter tantrum was horrible. It is almost like the Panthers are actually trying to accomplish improving in practice rather than be media buddies. They were only the worst team in the league last year, don't they know letting some douchebag from the Charlotte Observer interview them is more important than actually practicing.

Seriously, what a complaint. WAAAAA THE PLAYERS ARE TRYING TO GET BETTER INSTEAD OF PLAYING THE MEDIA GAME WHAAAAAAAAAA

It's a shame Darrin Gannt got reassigned. He was a really good beat writer for the Panthers, and seemed to have a sense of humor about the job.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

leokitty posted:

He keeps adding people so Grantland which I'm not sure is a great idea.

"Contributors" doesn't really mean much, though. I'm sure quite a few of those people are on freelance contracts, so if they aren't working out they'd be easy to axe and replace.

I'm sure it'll take a little bit of time for the site to find its footing, but I'm optimistic.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Not really sportswriting per se, but I enjoyed the photo on the cover of today's Sun-Times:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The internet has made sourcing a little more complicated than it used to be, but this kind of cracked me up. I just read a retweet by a sportswriter for a story on Sporting News about a writer for DraftExpress "reporting" in a mock draft for Yahoo! Sports that the Timberwolves are exploring possibly trading Michael Beasley if they decide they like Derrick Williams in the draft.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Deathlove posted:

I know it's Chuck Klosterman, so it's probably Grantland at its ceiling, but man, if the writing is going to be like this: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6625899/three-man-weave , I will take it and be happy.

The site design is interesting. I like the actual formatting of the articles - the parentheticals are a nice touch if they don't overuse them. The top half of the main page is a pretty big waste of space, though.

Also, people are already starting to crank out hit pieces.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It's a little odd that Dave Eggers, Malcolm Gladwell, John A. Walsh and Chuck Klosterman all receive equal billing as "consulting editors," but Klosterman is the only one with a featured tab at the top. I guess he'll be doing a lot of writing for the site (which could be a good or bad thing depending on how you feel about him).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Badfinger posted:

I think at the moment he's the only one that has anything to link to.

That would also make sense.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MorningView posted:

Yeah all the pop culture stuff so far has been bad, but I've liked the sports articles aside from Simmons' typically dumb overreaction to one bad LeBron game.

I thought the HBO article was interesting, even if they didn't really have any insights or draw any conclusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Not to turn this into Grantland: The Thread, but I enjoyed the narrative/stats, chocolate/peanut butter presentation of their article on Dirk. I kind of wish the site had launched earlier in the playoffs.