Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's weird to see any journalist issue an actual honest to goodness dang rear end apology even if it doesn't fully understand the underlying issue. I've read too many "sorry you were offended" 'apologies' this year and I was expecting to see that yet again. At least there's a willingness to learn (and an admittance of forgetting things they already had learned).
This thing blew up pretty big, and had Grantland not had a very strong response to the criticism, their attempts to be seen as a legitimate site for quality sportswriters would have been destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The more ESPN has been pushing Buster as their main baseball guy, the bigger a tool he seems.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is also what happens when they don't give Gammons enough money or whatever and he bails. They seem to have replaced him with Olney.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DeltaAttack2go posted:

Buster made Baseball Today unbearably boring. I don't need another reason to dislike him.
Yeah that was terrible. I tried listening for a few weeks but it's just a bunch of nonsense. I also in general can't stand most athlete interviews because it's always just canned answers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

mozza posted:

Canadian journalist Roy MacGregor pulls the "Augusta is charmingly old-fashioned" card, dismisses the discrimination against black people and women in a couple quick paragraphs as "controvers[ies]" that "could not hold." I don't know if I'm just being sensitive but I can't untangle old-fashioned charm from the oppression with which it was bundled.
I swear there's one of these every year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

morestuff posted:

I love Wesley Morris' stuff, but that's about it as far as the pop culture section. I do think it's amazing how many words Andy Greenwald can write without actually saying anything, though.
Yeah pretty much...the rest of it is bland. At least Morris does good movie reviews.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

drat, that's some gold right there

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Punch Card posted:

The comments are everything I hoped they would be.

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/474595097997496320

Yes he was a loving husband and father, BUT WHAT ABOUT HIS BRAND?
So Rovell's an android, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Anals of History posted:

That's peak douche. gently caress him, and gently caress all 41 people who favorite'd that post.
I'm betting most of those are ironic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Brightens my day to hear the Reilly news. Especially after the Redskins columns.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So who is going to take the fall in the Boston media this time now that Beckett isn't there

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The 'beer and fried chicken' thing was dumb enough, but the character assassination of Francona was just gross. I mean this guy won the city two championships in 3 years, and four years afterwards you turn him into some kind of drug addict who completely checked out on his team.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good job by Darren for not noticing the guy's username is 'tr0lltide'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah that's pretty awful. Not sure what he was thinking there

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Man that guy has no sense of restraint.

I think it was already announced that the show's contract won't be renewed either?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I listen to LeBatard's show via podcast at work, and it's a great antidote to the usual sports show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah I think if Amaechi wasn't living in the UK he would be doing it, especially since SVG can't anymore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Apparently the LeBatard show producers tried to get a full page ad into the Cleveland Plain Dealer that looked like this, but were rebuffed:

Would have been a great trolling, but oh well

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Can you ask him if he was born from the result of a horrifying genetic experiment by a corporation to see how much of a shill they can create?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It sounds like the site Sports on Earth just fired like 90% of their writers. Seems related to the announcement that USA Today, which owns it, is being spun off from its parent company.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

So the LeBatard show bought a billboard in Akron since the newspapers wouldn't run their full-page ad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Also there are at least 6 of them in Akron right now.

Pretty sure the 'You're Welcome' thing is taken from the fact that nowhere in LeBron's letter did he thank Miami fans.

But this is obvious trolling, Dan said on the show yesterday that he wanted to create some anarchy, which is what he does.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

hcreight posted:

The whole state must suffer for Ohio State. No remorse.
Seconded, they are insufferable

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

ESPN suspended Lebatard for two days over the billboards, and acted way faster on it than they did with Stephen A Smith
Oh come on, really?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

soggybagel posted:

The thing is LeBetard is doing this as a joke. If you've heard him in interviews enough he does actually have a sense of humor. It's just a goof.

The sad part is there are people who genuinely feel betrayed that Lebron would leave. I saw some randoms on twitter and one guy had his avatar as "Titles don't leave" with a close up crop of Wade and Bosh. It was silly.
LeBatard has said a bunch of times that he keeps being called a 'sore loser' or whatever for making comments that were actually made by co-hosts. Meanwhile on his show he's made it clear that he thinks it's perfectly fine that LeBron left, since now he has basically complete control over the Cavs. This is coming from someone who is very close to a lot of people in the Heat FO.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jackie D posted:

How is it possible to have such a lack of self awareness
His Twitter background is a massive pile of Benjamins, what do you think

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's really no different than the piece by the same writer about visiting Detroit last year. He's paid to do those kinds of articles.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Football related deaths like that at colleges tend to be gross affairs...I remember a couple of years ago here at UCF a football player died at practice and the school fought like hell to avoid liability, but I believe ultimately lost.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

axeil posted:

I think that incident was referenced by someone in the comments. The family did end up getting the full payout from the university because UCF's athletics are run by a nonprofit separate from the university.

One critique I did have of that article was the author seems more angry at Florida State than he does at the State of Florida for the family not getting paid. FSU couldn't really do anything as by law it's all in Florida's hands.

What a mess.
Yeah at least in this instance it's the Legislature that was the problem.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Hasn't he been showing up on Sean Hannity's show lately? He's obviously got some very poor views on women.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

From what I understand he was the driving force behind The Decision.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nope. They also got into hot water for having a climate change denier write for their site right after launch, right?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's going to keep happening until people realize it wasn't called the Watergategate Hotel

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Benne posted:

Bill Simmons made his name by writing the daddest of dad blogs. I honestly bet that's his biggest audience.
Absolutely, his early blogs on Page 2 were really leaning on that demographic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Simmons has been on a roll lately.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just when you think ESPN couldn't top their previous dumb suspensions....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

howe_sam posted:

What's so mind bendingly frustrating about this is that KLaw didn't even go after Schilling. He just said "Curt you're mistaken, here's proof". There was a distinct lack of the usual acerbic wit. But apparently there can be no sign of disagreement between employees of the Worldwide Leader.
Eh, they've been extremely selective about that. I'm really not sure why they thought this warranted attention though. No one was talking about it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah he correctly illustrates the problem with a giant media empire being able to remain independent despite having vested financial interests with the subjects they cover (NFL, NCAA).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Really thought that was going to be Scott Pelley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

He's really good on the radio. I would follow him on Twitter, but then I would need a second feed just for him