Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Who was the author on the Holtzclaw piece?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Honestly my first reaction is being impressed that Brazil protects that kind of speech. (Don't mean that to sound patronizing about a Latin country, just didn't know anything about their policies on that sort of thing.)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

It's a little harder when the guys who would be breaking up the protest are holding up the sign.
Ooooohhhhh yeah that makes sense

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The original Auburn SB Nation site, Track 'Em Tigers, left around '11 or '12 and took the name with them, got replaced wholesale by College and Magnolia. I was never entirely clear who dumped who or why, but it seemed like there was a culture clash. Those guys were decidedly from an older generation of fans and a few months before the departure someone had written a post about Mo Isom trying out for LSU kicker that I never actually saw but was bad enough to quickly get pulled by somebody higher up.

Doubt it was anything like that with BHGP, they always seemed cool if I found myself there. Don't people say for as well-regarded as they are SB Nation really isn't any more equitable financially that any other #content farm?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

A couple of years ago when an LSU women's soccer player was trying out for kicker the SB Nation Auburn blog at the time wrote some post about it that got deleted by the higher-ups so fast I never even saw it and within a few months the blog was just dropped from the network and replaced wholesale with a different Auburn blog.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

"Don't mention a no hitter" only applies to teammates.
I start getting alerts from MLB At Bat or CBS whenever someone goes like five innings of a no hitter. Should be seven IMO.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Late on this but in that Clay Travis profile it's blinding obviously to everyone but Clay Travis that his wife is like six months away at most from waking up one day and spontaneously leaving him right?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That's a lovely thing to happen to him but on another note, does he think the world war numbers are of magnitude rather than ordinal

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I feel like the downturn was when TV completely took over the site, dunno if that was the impetus for people leaving for those other places or just coincidence.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finebaum signed his extension with ESPN, ending our national crisis before SEC media days.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I know "to own the libs" is a played out meme but... they just never stop doing it. Maybe that's the biggest own of all.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I remember it as sucking rear end but Auburn fans always had a grudge against SbB for trying to gin up dumb non-stories in the wake of Cam, before all new sports media pivoted to the paying players is cool and good position.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

xbilkis posted:

The PFTCommenter response loving sucks. Mealy mouthed "I'm making a stand by admitting SOME Barstool fans are bad while still fundamentally defending what is clearly a toxic institution" bullshit
The "oh you want me to criticize my bosses while you have a UNION and I don't?" was loving gross.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

General Dog posted:

Aren't they like $30 apiece?
I finally looked at Bombas one day expecting it to be like, kinda expensive for socks but how much could that be? They're >$10 a goddamn pair.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Huh that weird beIN sports network you're still not sure if you get or not is at the center of a WTO case brought by Qatar (beIN being a subsidiary of Al Jazeera) against Saudi Arabia; Qatar alleges the Saudis are pirating their signal and rebranding it as "beoutQ" as a weird jab in a long-running complicated political dispute between the two countries.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

This WaPo write-up of some middle aged dudes remembering that time they lost State is trying really hard to be a thing but not getting there imo. Way overwritten, no idea what's supposed to make this game different than any other small town losing a championship close, there's no real politics but it still feels completely of a piece with all those "this dying town voted for Trump, but is surprised to find their lives still suck rear end" features flooding the legacy media for the last two years.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

True or not does nobody on the internet have a sense of "posting this only makes the situation look weirder"?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

General Dog posted:

Where did we get that he had brain surgery?
The tweets Drew made about a week ago "explaining" that he got drunk after the awards and somehow tore some blood vessels or something, complete with pictures of a surgical incision scar; I think they got deleted after a few hours.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Timby posted:

He tweeted out a photo of a really, really nasty head injury (there were staples, not stitches, in his head), then deleted it
That tweet was part of an (all deleted) thread in which he explained that he wasn't drinking while presenting the Deadspin awards but something like "made up for lost time" as soon as it was over and then without exactly explaining how something led to bursting important veins in his neck. Then a week later his account is tweeting from "his wife" that he was NOT drinking at the time of the accident, whatever it was. There's no reason to believe he was driving or anything like that and I don't give a poo poo what he was doing but everything adds up to he got extremely wasted and seriously injured himself somehow and I'm sure we'll get some introspective essay about it but whatever happened the attempt to spin it is super weird.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

https://deadspin.com/deadspin-up-all-night-they-have-the-plant-but-we-have-1832972526

I'm guessing they are going on strike? I've read rumors no one wants to buy them, but didn't think this was in the works. The first comment, appropriately, is classical gas.
From other tweets sounds like they made a deal they're happy with.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

e:wt

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"The real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been coloring-ined yet."

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mahoning posted:

I like seeing Doug Gottlieb get ratio’d this hard.

https://twitter.com/gottliebshow/status/1165442952832811008?s=21
Dude is just putting himself out there to get smoked by the greatests, must be a fetish thing
https://twitter.com/BoJackson/status/1166126151720415239

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

In text:

quote:

We have received a great deal of feedback from you, our readers, about the sound-on autoplay videos that have been inundating our sites. We want you to know that we hear you, that we take those complaints seriously, and that we, the writers, editors, and video producers of Deadspin, are as upset with the current state of our site’s user experience as you are.

We think it is important to let you know that the editorial staff does not control the ad experience on the site, and that we understand that Deadspin is nothing without its readers, so your complaints are our complaints.

Editorial staffers at all levels of this company have made our concerns known in various conversations with members of G/O Media’s senior leadership team. We think it would be good for them to hear from you as well, so we invite you to submit feedback about our site’s current user experience. This email address goes to G/O Media’s CEO, editorial director, as well as the editors-in-chief of Deadspin, Gizmodo, Jalopnik, Jezebel, Kotaku, Lifehacker and The Root. Please keep your comments respectful.

Thank you for your patience, and for your continued support of Deadspin. We remain determined to give you a site you want to visit.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Jalopnik seems to have somehow kept itself safe by still only posting weird car poo poo.
do they still have that guy as a "national security correspondent" who has no subject matter qualifications and does weird poo poo like get photographed with ukrainian nazis and go to antisemitism-themed restaurants?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

goddamn that is a lovely outcome I never could have imagined

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'd pay a significant sum of $$$ to anyone who punched Rovell right in the face.
https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1197853021994139656?s=19
Cause I just finished American Tabloid I'm just imagining Pete Bondurant kicking the poo poo out of Darren Rovell for, I don't know, I'm sure he'd come up with a good reason.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My dad did them for a while after getting his first smartphone, wasn't locking the screen before putting the phone in his pocket.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That's like 10,000 texts a season just for D1, isn't it?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/ZachAbolverdi/status/1209628754638708742

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/1220798601972060166

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

has the industry been cleaned up or is there a chance this is the beginning of a sequence of events where el presidente says the wrong thing in front of the wrong guy and receives an unexpected visit from a guy who paints houses

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

e: he's really not taking any criticism of that tweet well
https://twitter.com/BobSaietta/status/1237159926088302592

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

The 30 for 30 is gonna be wild if we live to see it

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MourningView posted:

what the gently caress are they even going to talk about on sportscenter all day that sounds horrifying
Hope you like draft speculation

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

They tried exactly that a few years ago with Tower Heist I think it was. Price was even higher, over $60 IIRC and yeah, the theaters hated it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

You'd think working under an established brand, even one management already ripped to shreds, would save you the trouble of including a long parenthetical right under the headline explicitly describing the tone you're trying to achieve... but Vichy Deadspin would disagree.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I was pretty bullish on The Athletic relative to some of the criticism it got -- all the sports/teams I follow had really good content at price I was happy to pay -- but IDK how they survive when there is an entire year with no sports to produce even hypothetical content about.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Go ahead and click through on this one
https://twitter.com/Ethan_Booker/status/844652135199444993

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Jesus Christ the updates:

quote:

UPDATE: Whicker responds with regret over Dugard column

Editors share responsibility for inappropriate column