Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Really, everyone ought to just start here. Gary Smith is phenomenal, and an example of how powerful sports journalism can be in the long-form format.

Start here. Then go here. Then here. Then here.

Then keep going.

e: Silly me, for forgetting one of the more memorable pieces he's ever written. Read this first.

why does Gareth Thomas keep calling him 'butt'? is that a welsh thing? It's super distracting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

morestuff posted:

This isn't really bad journalism per se, but I like to post this story whenever I can. It's my favorite piece that's ever run on ESPN. It just seems like a bet between writers that went too far.

that reminds me of my favorite album review ever:

quote:

Lil' Wayne is a tease. After the departure of B.G., Juvenile, Turk, and producer Mannie Fresh, the Cash Money CEO has probably spent a lot of times on his knees in thanks that Weezy is still around. Wayne is still a Hot Boy, albeit one who likes to get his grown man on. He's eager to prove he's far from a little squirt, and he likes to rub it in constantly. Weezy's been beating off the competition for so long now it's understandable if he's feeling a little testy. A rapper with this much spunk coming out his mouth doesn't need to spend any more time boning up on his skills.

But sometimes his spunk dominates "Like Father Like Son" so much it seems Birdman gets the shaft. Fortunately Stunna still has a little thug in him, and he knows when to just sit back and let Weezy do his thing. As president of Cash Money, Baby has been feeling Wayne for years now, and while his previous albums are hardcore classics, he really blows himself away on this one.

In the words of Bay Area hip-hop critic Oliver Wang, new-school Lil' Wayne "sounds more confident as an MC and wields a genuinely impressive array of different styles". It's obvious Weezy is feeling Wang on this, as he bounces from naked emotion to popping shots in the span of a single track. He never lets you forget he's sitting on 20 inches, but when the lyrical rim jobs wear out he's ready to lay himself bare on an emotional tribute of "Like Father, Like Son". Weezy is a man who will bend over backwards for a hot line, and fleshes out his long arcs with violent thrusts of short diction, while never leaning on rhyming words that merely resemble each other - there's no homophones.

The New Orleans hustler brings it uncut on "Over Here Hustlin", proving he knows how to handle the white stuff. But these two aren't just about pumping crack - rhymes like "call my bullets some lumps, I put 'em deep in ya neck" would be a mouthful for anyone. Stunna goes even harder on "Leather So Soft", while "Army Gunz" illustrates this pair still knows how to cock and squeeze. And on "All About That" the self-described "Fireman" continues to bring the flames over imitation Just Blaze production, proving Birdman and Wayne know how to handle spitting on organs. My only complaint is that the pair blow their load early on, and the second half of the album goes down in the process. But don't worry, there's still enough hotness here to make sure you keep coming back for more.

DNS
Mar 11, 2009

by Smythe

morestuff posted:

I missed this; what happened?

this, apparently:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/sarah-silverman-deadspin/

I didn't know about it before, but my appreciation for Silverman has risen after seeing this masterful low-effort trolling of Daulerio