Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Oh hey I didn't know T-Mac is going to be on NBA-TV now. Cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

sportsgenius86 posted:

Sepp Blatter is worse than all North American commissioners combined.

Gary Bettman is pretty bad man. is what I was going to say until I actually Googled him.

Holy poo poo.

quote:

"Let the women play in more feminine clothes like they do in volleyball," he said.

"They could, for example, have tighter shorts. Female players are pretty, if you excuse me for saying so, and they already have some different rules to men - such as playing with a lighter ball. That decision was taken to create a more female aesthetic, so why not do it in fashion?"

Then again it doesn't look like Sepp Blatter has almost killed off his league yet. So I mean that's gotta make them close right?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

God Bless Jason Whitlock.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/retire-now-1717128101

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Skip was an rear end in a top hat to Sports stars. Like the poo poo he's said about Troy Aikman is terrible.

But I'm sure he's fine to his coworkers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/HumbleTeej/status/857249053075136512

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

It's sad. but I think sports is becoming more like other enthusiast press such as games outside of the sports leagues still needing those networks to show it(though maybe not long who knows maybe Youtube or Amazon or poo poo MLB advanced or someone of that like will leverage their streaming services to get in on the bidding war next time). And it's probably the right move

The only reason I go to ESPN any more is for live sports and maybe to catch a show with someone I like.

If big news happens and I want to read reporting on the New Orleans Pelicans I can go to their beat reporters on twitter or the newspaper website to get their info.

Like I have a twitter list of Beat Reporters for teams I enjoy reading about which means I don't need ESPN's "We go live to houston to talk to ESPN's Houston reporter blah blah blah"

Information is so easily accessible that unfortunately it is completely unneeded and unfeasible to keep a staff that is so large. This is a bandaid that needed to be pulled.

Sucks people are losing their jobs though. I hope they land somewhere that suits them.

Besides Trent Dilfer gently caress that dude.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Femur posted:

that makes sense. People don't really care that sports is a cesspoll underneath, and just want to hate/worship as they please.

just throw inuendos and rumours out there, its what we want. former team assistants are where its at.

Or you just don't need it in house.

Do what sports radio does. Have beat writers who know their team come on. And maybe pay them an appearance fee or something.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wow this was early for Boston's monthly display of racism that everyone washes away as well it's just one isolated case of racism you can't make generalizations about an entire city. They got that over with quickly for May..

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Shoot your shot hall of famer.

First ballot unanimous

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Vertical Lime posted:

looks like a bunch of recently fired writers are starting a paid site

https://twitter.com/thebiglead/status/885620466144223232

The Athletic has been around for a bit.

They do pretty good work on Chicago sports.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I love their Bulls writers.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

How?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bomani Jones is the goods. His Videos on SB nation had me dying. He's also good on ESPN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I09NBqcwx2U

Still Relevant.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Check out Buzzfeed's actual news side.

They do a bunch of good loving stuff.

The rest, you gotta pay the bills somehow.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, that's a good way of putting it.

Deadspin is always terrible, except when they write pieces like the kid who didn't die at Riverfront Stadium.

Eh. Deadspin is mostly good nowadays. They have their trash posts here and there, but like the actual reports, investigations and poo poo they do are almost all legit.

It's the Buzzfeed news thing. They need a way to pay for actual good reporting so they have a bunch of other mindless stuff to generate those sweet clicks.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

I like Michael and Jemele but that show thinks it's way funnier and much more clever than it actually is.

I like that show, anytime it happens to be on I enjoy it. I just don't watch ESPN much anymore.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/908173152370520064

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Didn't he also say something snide about about the fact that they had a woman doing the calls for Sunday Baseball?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ESPN will generally suspend and slap on the wrist for political and other thoughts they don't want to deal with PR for.

But if you work for them and criticize management or things they are trying to push they will dead you. (Word to Bill Simmons)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

General Dog posted:

Their model is lovely, but also lol Deadspin comes across salty af on these

Huh? Most of the Article is like a direct quote from SB Nation emails

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Without rivals reporting on each other how in the hell would any wrong doing ever get reported.

It's why it's such a problem when a news org does something bad but they are the only news org or paper in the town so hey can easily silence anything.

Sure it's somewhat self serving as it makes them look better. But I'm pretty sure they aren't under the illusion they are going to kill one of the biggest sports sites around. They are just kinda reporting on how SB Nation treats and exploits their contributors.

Like the Root another vertical has had some articles recently about how Ebony has not paid a number of writers for work over the past couple of years.

This type of reporting on other media outlets is something that should happen more if hosed up things are going on.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DJExile posted:

One of Root's subsites (VSB i think) flat out calls out Jezebel at times. It's really something

VSB owns and I'm glad Gizmodo let them keep their style and stay themselves.

Comment section is less fun than the old site though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Hahahahaha oh god

http://awfulannouncing.com/online-outlets/incline-freelancer-dave-lozo-criticized-jim-brady.html

https://twitter.com/davelozo/status/908852464975273985

https://twitter.com/davelozo/status/909867139527475200

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

In another shining example that Hot Takes are not just an American problem but an international one, former England international Stan Collymore says all political protests and symbols in sports should be banned

I don't disagree, so long as he takes it to the logical conclusion and removes all political imagery.

Don't play the anthem, don't have the forced military interlude, remove all ceremony and bullshit from sports. Just have it as a performance.

Like I go to movies and plays and they don't play the anthem before it.

There is literally no good reason to play the anthem before a sporting event.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

gently caress that

Also Kaeps not there because he wasn't doing that watered down and weakass loving stand arm and arm thing

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

That cover is loving unbelievable for so many reasons, how do you miss the point by that much?

I'm betting less than 10% of the people in the room on that design/decision meeting were black.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Not to defend Skip but from what I've seen of him he generally come off on the right side of social issues.

He's just a sports shitbag.

Like you can have a "comical" hatred of LeBron and players but not say racist poo poo.

It's harder, Like Cowherd's Wall bullahit. But Skip has seen fine on that front

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 4, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

C. Everett Koop posted:

Skip's danced the line with his LeBron hate and his Tebow worship, plus First Take was consistently Skip and a black co-host, so the dogwhistles were blowing fairly hard.

I'd say the past year has caused Skip to tip-toe back from the edge but that would require me paying attention to what he has to say.

Not really dude. If anything SAS was the questionable one on that show when it came to social issues.

Like seriously I don't want to defend skip here, but he was generally pretty good about keeping his dumb takes strictly on sports.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/StelliniTweets/status/918231860655902720

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Eh Barstool is poo poo but, that type of agreement isn't rare in spaces where there is a writers room for comedy or production work.

It's usually separate from an actual harrasment policy from HR that you usually get.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cash Monet posted:

She suggested boycotting a broadcast partner, it wasn't the social commentary that got her in trouble. In the latest instance, that is.

Except she didn't suggest boycotting them at all.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Jones in his defense has a way of tweeting and talking that just leads you up to the point of making the obvious statement. And let's you walk through the threshold. And puts the on us on the reader to make the leap

Jemele is in your face and up front about it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/sam_ponder/status/920056799759339521

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/sam_ponder/status/920240943667863553

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/920389722144411649

Article 3, Subsection 5 of the new ESPN social media policy says, stick to sports blacky

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I like the Athletic, because I love the writers they hired for the teams I care about.

Durkin and Fishbain are great for the Bears, Noh is great on the Bulls(though yeah the Bloggers who cover the Bulls are spectacular), they brought in Mayberry from OKC, and he seems fine so far but no real opinion. Sahadev Sharma's writing on the Cubs is so loving good.

But yeah if they don't cover your team it's probably not a great idea to subscribe to them.

Also look at all upper levels of startups, and companies in general and you are likely to have narcissistic grandstanding assholes.

Like you have loving silicon valley start ups talking comical poo poo about closing every bodega, by putting out what is essentially a fancy vending machine, that uses a phone app.

Also rich people always talked like that, now it's just heard more. You had TV people talking poo poo about print, or radio, and you've always had Internet assholes talking poo poo about TV and non-internet based things.

Subscription based sites is going to be the only way any type of media survives going forward. Unless you can pull in just a completely massive amount of hits to video ads(which is real annoying, as I thought we moved past the auto playing video/flash ad, but it's coming back and just as annoying).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

How many of their subscribers are going to renew, and at full price? I have been bombarded with "sign up now and get 30% off" ads. How are they going to make money long-term when newspapers can't and other websites have failed? What happens to the writers when the competition is dead and here come the pay cuts?

If they can keep up the quality the Chicago writers are at(imo anyway) people will renew. Also people might forget about it and accidentally renew(the vintage subscription trick) they make money by having subscriptions and not having the additional cost of printing paper and delivering them. Just paying writers (and administrators).

That last point is a valid one, the answer is unionizing. But who knows thats further down the line.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If they were that cheap as to not want to pay for sports they wouldn't sign up in the first place

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/JasonLloydNBA/status/922569130196197376

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/922569639808286721

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Lol Clay Travis is trying to punch outside of his weight class

https://twitter.com/tanehisicoates/status/927561892444254208

https://twitter.com/ClayTravis/status/927574919982002177

https://twitter.com/tanehisicoates/status/927577443241570304