Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

He introduced me to Gary Smith of Sports Illustrated. He's kind of unique in that he's won the National Magazine Award an unprecedented four times. There's a great listing of his articles on his wiki page and anyone who likes good writing in general will love him. He's probably well known to anyone that reads SI, but I never really read it cover to cover and now anytime he writes something I make sure to pick it up.

Really, everyone ought to just start here. Gary Smith is phenomenal, and an example of how powerful sports journalism can be in the long-form format.

Start here. Then go here. Then here. Then here.

Then keep going.

e: Silly me, for forgetting one of the more memorable pieces he's ever written. Read this first.

LARGE THE HEAD fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Reminder that Rick Reilly used to be an insightful journalist before he got fat off his ESPN paycheck.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
re: Deadspin, I like the site. I do. I read every Drew Magary column, every Tommy Craggs piece and (usually) half the other stories that interest me. But there's no question that the site has gone away from its all-encompassing and investigative roots, which is disappointing. Daulerio has found a niche and is milking it for all its worth, but there will be other players in the space and Deadspin will have to redefine itself again. Unless, that is, it goes back to its roots.

Deadspin used to stand up for the sport, or the fan, that didn't necessarily have a say in ESPN, SI, The Sporting News or other major players in the journalism sphere. That has since been lost.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

ForbiddenWonder posted:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jeff_pearlman/08/24/clemens.follow/index.html

This is hilarious, Perlman and Clemens trading jabs over twitter.

Every so often, I think he's hit bottom, but no, Jeff Pearlman keeps finding newer and more exciting lows to sink to. Joining up with Clemens is a sure-fire way to find them.

So, I met this one kid (sophomore in HS) the other day who was job-shadowing a college football beat writer. We got to talking, and he struck me as a pretty bright kid who wanted to get into the industry. I asked him if he had any journalistic experience.

"Yeah. I'm an NBA and college football writer for Bleacher Report."

:suicide:

That Web site needs to die a horrible death.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

stuart scott irl posted:

Dom Amore re: Cy Young award

And this is why FJM is so deeply missed, ladies and gents.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
We all still enjoy good journalism, right?

Because Andy Staples' story on the Fort Campbell (KY) High football team certainly qualifies. :3:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

toadee posted:

Man this Jim Caple article is so loving stupid I can't even understand. I've never really read anything on espn.com before. Please tell me this is worse than usual. He spends 3 paragraphs not realizing he's countering his own argument.

He's done some decent writing before (nothing that really makes him an ace columnist, in my opinion, which is why he remains stuck on Page 2), but that article was the most :stare: piece I've read in a while. I cannot believe an editor allowed that to be published on the internet.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Let's take a trip down memory lane to when Rick Reilley didn't suck:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1064748/1/index.htm

So that's where the line about John Wooden being "so square, he was divisible by four" came from. One of my favorite backhanded compliments of all time.

And, while we're going down Memory Lane, let's not forget the piece on the HS FB referee who tried to kill himself.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

seiferguy posted:

Your usual "Wins are what count for Cy Young winners" rambling:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/11/feliz-hernandez-cc-sabathia-al-cy-young/1

That Masters line is incredible. I too would like to watch the final weekend of a golf tournament with four players in the field.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
:havlat: GOOD JOURNALISM TIME! :havlat:

I love lovely journalism as much as the next, but let's try and bring out some of the better pieces as well. Cultivating the minds of young goons with brilliant writing is just as important as infecting their minds with bad. :science:

"Got To Do Some Coachin'": Frank Deford's Sports Illustrated piece on Arkansas Razorbacks head coach Nolan Richardson, now with the WNBA's Tulsa Shock (accompanying cast list)

"Never Has Being a Sports Fan Felt So Stupid": Will Leitch's commentary piece on The Decision (published on New York Magazine's web page)

"The No-Stats All-Star": Michael Lewis' New York Times piece on the statistical revolution of the NBA and -- at the center of the storm -- Houston Rockets forward Shane Battier

"She's The One": Patrick Hruby's ESPN.com story on Natalie Randolph, the head coach of a Washington, D.C.-area high school football team and a former women's professional football player.

:eng101:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
The GQ piece on Daulerio is good. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I see the piece as attempting to connect the pieces between sports culture and the general depravity Daulerio seeks and receives on a daily basis. I find things to like and dislike about Daulerio, but instead of passing judgment on him I will say that he comes off as someone who has jumped down the rabbit hole only to find no bottom. He keeps falling and falling.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

tadashi posted:

I hope Kaufman can do something for Bleacher Report. It would be a shame for a website with that much reach to be this bad indefinitely. It is like Game FAQs for sports.

It would not have such reach and influence if the plug was pulled like it should have been years ago.

Kaufman is so far in over his head he's going to drown. The biggest way to improve the quality of BR writing is to improve middle-school and high-school English classes.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Hmm that is true...

Have any of you guys been on the site since they redid the layout?? gently caress, it sucks.

My face went :gonk: when I checked the site this morning. The post-Super Bowl content is still good, but the site's almost unreadable now.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
I'm bothered by the Internet detective work but not by the story itself. Dating someone 7 years your junior when you're fresh out of college is a little creepy.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
So Henry Abbott of TrueHoop came out with a blog post entitled A Punitive Coach.

I haven't yet been able to gather my feelings toward this one, but I'd love to hear SAS field it.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Deadspin fixed their site to include a scroll bar for the article headlines. Thank Christ. Site becomes 100% more readable.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

unhwillneverwin posted:

And Tommy Craggs is still around to destroy Peter King in a thoroughly enjoyable written beating. Sometimes it may seem like we all pile on Peter King. But as long as he complains about coffee and other trivial poo poo while being a lapdog for the NFL and its owners, I say he is fair game.

http://deadspin.com/#!5763588/one-thing-i-think-i-think-peter-king-is-the-latest-in-a-long-line-of-management-stooges

That article owned; nice find. I still thought that Goodell piece was pretty good though.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
So, who has read ESPN's Fiction Issue? What do you all think about it?

I can't be too hard on a company that bills itself as Entertainment and Sports Programming Network, but it's pretty fascinating stuff so far. Miguel Batista's short-fiction piece was a clever story and an interesting read.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
:flashfact: GOOD JOURNALISM TIME! :flashfact:

"Heaven Help Marge Schott", by Rick Reilly (Sports Illustrated, May 20, 1996). Don't know how many people really knew about her beyond the "million dollar niggers" line, so here you go. Also features the best last three sentences of a feature story I've seen in quite some time.

"The Rabbit Hunter", by Frank DeFord (SI, January 26, 1981). DeFord on Bobby Knight, then at his prime at Indiana. I love DeFord's writing so, so much. Wear your tie, Bobby.

"My Roger Ebert Story", by Will Leitch (Deadspin, May 1, 2010). Holy loving poo poo, this story's a year old! And it's not really about sports. Still owns, though.

"Blazers Top 40: No. 30, Billy Ray Bates", by Jason Quick (The Oregonian, December 24, 2009). Jason Quick is the Portland Trail Blazers beat reporter for The Oregonian; Billy Ray Bates is a former NBA shooting guard who has garnered cult status among avid NBA fans that know about him. This story is not a happy one.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

barkingclam posted:

It makes me kind of sad to read DeFord's old pieces - all of which are some of the best feature writing I've read - and his current columns, which are nothing if not vanilla. I dunno if it's an age thing or if it takes a different kind of writer to do a weekly column or what, but it's a striking difference.

For the record, here's my fav. DeFord piece: Frank DeFord goes bowling.

I think a lot of it is the latter. The pieces are short, they contain opinions, and he's not expected to do much investigative reporting.

I'm sure he can still crank out a story from time to time, but the fact that his columns are called Sweetness and Light is :ironicat: as all get-out.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that article loving blew and represented literally everything that is wrong with current Rick Reilly

seriously read that article and then read the one on Kenny Wilcoxen http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006129/index.htm

Yeah, pretty much anyone who has read or seen anything from Reilly has to have figured he's been mailing in his entire ESPN deal. Meanwhile, Dan Patrick actually improves the overall quality of Sports Illustrated's output. Not a bad swap.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
That Pearlman OP/ED is a masterful troll and I will not accept any explanations to the contrary.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Deadspin with a nice piece on the case of BYU F Brandon Davies' dismissal from the team for sexual intercourse outside of marriage. Well worth your time.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

AlleyViper posted:

I feel like this fits here

e: some more

ee: wait, wait, one more

What is the point of this article

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

chutwig posted:

SANDY KOUFAX- YOU COULD HAVE PITCHED ON YOM KIPPUR IF YOU HADN'T SINNED SO MUCH
MARGE SCHOTT WAS GOOD IN THE BEGINNING, BUT SHE DID NOT GO FAR ENOUGH
KIRK GIBSON- THE SLOWEST HOME RUN TROT I'VE EVER SEEN

These are excellent. Dying at the Marge Schott one.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Rick Reilly's most recent written diarrhea is basically a hit piece on Jimmer Fredette for absolutely no reason other than that there's a chance his game doesn't translate to the NBA. It's like he tried this on Bleacher Report under an assumed name before bringing it to ESPN.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Grittybeard posted:

I intended to find something worthwhile he wrote, but instead I found this (from 12 damned years ago): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/magazine/lifeofreilly/1999/0315/

I've posted a few of them in this thread, check back a few pages.

Reilly doesn't make me feel anything when he's so obviously mailing in a column but the Jimmer column is the first one that has made me legitimately angry.

ne: This JV Baseball League column is stupid, but at least it makes a point.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Fisticuffs posted:

The sports editor at a Fort Wayne newspaper tweeted an IU basketball verbal commit suggesting that he decommit and go to Butler

http://twitter.com/Tom101010/status/51810584324341760

Very professional.

This only pisses you off because you're an Indiana fan.

But it's not terribly professional and the writer should be disciplined by his paper.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
^Exactly. It's just so frustrating, coming from someone like Rick Reilly.

Which reminds me...anyone up for some :siren: GOOD JOURNALISM :siren: ?

"The Mourning Anchor," by Rick Reilly (SI, Sept. 26, 1988). We'll start with a Reilly piece, this one on Bryant Gumbel. Suffice it to say, he comes out looking more like Malcolm X than Wayne Brady. This is rather dark stuff. But Reilly paints Gumbel in a human light. It's as though, over the past several years, he has just forgotten all about what made him a good writer in the first place.

"The Power of One," by Gary Smith (SI, Sept. 28, 2009). Sometimes, writers luck out with the details available about an event. Gary Smith has all the details in the world to work with in this case, and he uses them wisely. It can be hard, in the paragon of sports journalism, to find an account of an event that, at its surface, just sounds so cool.

"We must learn from McKinley's death," by Woody Paige (Denver Post, Sept. 23, 2010). Apparently, if you want to write something impactful about sports, you publish it in late September. This is the story where Paige tells you that, yes, he once thought about attempting suicide, but he didn't follow through. It's an opinion piece, but it reads like an actual human being, with feelings and emotions and fears, wrote it. That doesn't always happen (does it, Rick?).

"Her Blue Haven," by Bill Plaschke (Los Angeles Times, Aug. 19, 2001). I normally hate Bill Plaschke's columns. This one made me cry. If you cannot feel from reading this piece, you cannot feel.

LARGE THE HEAD fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 28, 2011

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

soggybagel posted:

Did anyone watch the Frontline program 'Money and March Madness' on your pbs station?

Or just watch it online? Just wondering because Frontline generally speaking makes solid programming.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/money-and-march-madness/?utm_campaign=homepage&utm_medium=bigimage&utm_source=bigimage

Anyone else having trouble loading the video? It won't load up for me.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
If the current thread name change wasn't so perfect the Mr. Rogers reference would HAVE to go here.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
The government of Nanada would respond to this if they weren't busy drinking tea while extending their pinkies in the air and sucking on each other's cocks

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

quote:

You don’t suppose this disregard for human life has anything to do with the fact that 70% of black women give birth out of wedlock, do you?

:allears:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

A drat FOG posted:

Glenn Beck is insane and deluded but I don't recall him ever blaming the victim of a horrific violent crime for what happened to them (though to be fair it's not like I watch him regularly)

I'm not whiteknighting Beck, just highlighting the depths of awfulness that article reached.

I'm not completely sure you're correct.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

Tender Bender posted:

Are you guys quoting the same article or does he reference this in like everything he writes?

The latter. He never once referenced an article.

I'm interested in goons' opinions on the piece about BYU that Deadspin just released but we can't stop this Stiegerwald train :allears:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

IS IT THE SHOES posted:

http://www.npr.org/2011/04/17/135471975/robot-journalist-out-writes-human-sports-reporter?sc=fb&cc=fp

A robot wrote a better story about a perfect game than a live person.

sports journalism

That's not sports journalism at all. The GW piece was written by a sports information director who wanted to cover up what happened.

He should also be out of a job by now.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

IS IT THE SHOES posted:

Can you elaborate on why he wanted to cover it up? I'm not familiar with the situation.

The team he follows had a perfect game thrown on them. It's natural to polish a turd, but this is the extreme extent of that.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
How is it possible that a human being cannot write onomatopoeia

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

leokitty posted:

The Grantland header is terrible, the quote text is unreadable

The Grantland header was the best part of the entire article, dunno what you mean by terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden

hcreight posted:

I'm failing to see how Grantland is anything other than a revamped Page 2 but with Simmons in editorial control. In fact links to Page 2 are getting more and more scarce on the ESPN main page, which makes me wonder if they'll phase it out completely as Grantland gets in gear.

Page 2 tried to be funnier and more quirky and badly failed in most instances while Grantland appears to be more of a throwback to the time when sports writing existed in essay form and personal opinions/experiences/views were called in to play. It has a niche carved out between E-Ticket features (more strictly reporting ventures) and regular features on the ESPN website.

That said, I couldn't get more than halfway through the Knicks' piece because I can't stand to read about them, and I hope their content doesn't become romanticizing over the few teams with mainstream identities.