Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
They also didn't know this would happen so quickly - a bunch of them have said they're still in shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

afaik the “stick to sports” mandate was really about not criticizing g/o’s internal practices especially w/r/t advertising (which, by the way, does make every gmg website a fuckin nightmare to read)

i also remember some nonsense about listicles and slideshows (which iirc is how we got that classic rock bands ranked article) and they also put in autoplay videos which literally no one but advertisers likes

I vaguely remember when Greenwell left, Magary mentioned what happened to Kissing Suzy Kolber once Uproxx took it over - that could be why the staffers put up such a fight, given KSK's connection to Deadspin.
It was probably Spanfeller's goal - a boring site with steady traffic.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 6, 2019

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

I can't wait for Jezebel to run a piece on this and get shut down too

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
It makes sense, everybody uses sudden bulk and hair loss to ID baseball players on PEDs.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Giri Nathan got a full time gig, too:

https://twitter.com/girinathan/status/1197181258964570112?s=19

I think almost all of the writers have gotten something printed since they left, from small time gigs like Medium to serious outlets like the NY Times and The Guardian.

Fixed for clarity

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 22, 2019

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

BWV posted:

Succession is good and I like it but it's also Entourage for Gen Exers.

Entourage was also written for Xers, just slimy ones.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

The question is, are they trying to hire anyone, or is it that no one will work for them?

According to that Times Square display, something huge is happening soon!

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Craggs, too.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Patrice Lumumba (who was a soccer player to keep this on sports)

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I hope he makes a reference to BIG TOTEBAG

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
UnDeadspin has started slowing down - I've seen articles from Roth, Theisen, and Paez-Pumar that haven't gotten retweeted.

Following individual writers is the best way to go.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
loving Barstool is catching this stuff now?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Did he sign it at a Hooters?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Is there a possibility they'll tell some junior Onion writer - "We're going to publish all your articles under Onion/Deadspin now, if you don't like it you're fired"?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I can't believe it's 1918 and a woman like Mata Hari is going completely unmentioned! She's got a higher +/- than any of those jamokes.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Dave Portnoy's girlfriend by a soulcycle instructor?

:golfclap:

But how many Barstool employees work from the office? Most of them probably work from home.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

BWV posted:

Writing his first column in months, "are we sure class consciousness is even good?!"

He's going to end up like Paul Maidment, writing terrible articles to fill up dead space after everyone quits.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

General Dog posted:

What’s your starting five for the dead before 60 all-stars?

Another 5000 word article on how much Len Bias meant to Celtics fans, with half a paragraph about Kobe.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
And he had a running "joke" about naming his kid D'Bill.

That Whitlock column is almost 20 years old, it was published on loving Page2

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Bear Friday is every day if you follow the right Twitter accounts.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
UPS and FedEx don't deliver to PO Boxes so he could just be making sure people don't get their submissions returned.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Editor-in-chief Dave McKenna is a national treasure.

https://unnamedtemporarysportsblog.com/recovered-memory-that-time-sam-kinison-annihilated-me-and-my-mom/

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

NHL Apex predators
Canucks (orcas)
Bruins (ursus arctos horribilis)
Preds (smilodon fatalis)
Kings (l'etat c'est moi)
Devils (prey on mankinds' souls)

Panthers don't get in, they're occasionally eaten by lions and tigers.

The Wild contain all apex predators within their vast domain.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

hcreight posted:

Finally, Bill Simmons has enough money to produce his true dream project: a shot for shot remake of Roadhouse with him in the Swayze role.

It'd be White Men Can't Jump.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Timby posted:

In short, no, Deadspin is dead. No one's going to put together the amount of funding it would take to get people like Magary, Roth and others back into a full-time fold.

Will Leitch wrote that he was part of a group that tried to buy Deadspin from G/O but they were turned down out of spite.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Vindog is kind of sad - imagine putting your face on gifs and thinking it's scary. He's like the dumb kid the bullies used to keep around in high school.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

ChickenMedium posted:

I'm not convinced "Dave Portnoy" isn't a two-13-year-olds-in-a-trenchcoat situation.

He isn't tall enough.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Excuse me, Bear Friday was very consequential.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
When do they reopen the comments?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

MourningView posted:

what the gently caress are they even going to talk about on sportscenter all day that sounds horrifying

Minute-by-minute updates on Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Are the new writers part of the GMG union?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

If a studio commits to putting a serious tent pole film on demand it could become a thing, but until then it will just be an idea.

Roma and Marriage Story were both big sensations, but I don't know if they boosted Netflix's revenues at all.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Vichy Deadspin's going full Simmons:

https://deadspin.com/these-guys-were-great-they-just-never-got-enough-credi-1842646349

I mean...

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

morestuff posted:

As someone voted for Bernie, “Biden will have a hard time winning over Bernie supporters” seems like a pretty mild take

Yglesias was a big Bernie supporter, I don't know why people are accusing him of attacking the left right now.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Dutchy posted:

sports blogging needs to cast off the corporate yoke of vox et al and return to the days when a hobbyist made a blogspot account, called the site something like "Ken Macha is a Moron and I Hate Him," and stopped updating a month or so after getting linked by Deadspin

This plus an extremely problematic comments section.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

morestuff posted:

even if their parent company went under they'd just be sold off somewhere else. cost aggregate crap that conglomerates love

A big question is if Portnoy was paid in cash or PennLive stock. If the stock value drops like a rock, he's screwed.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
There is - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/business/media/deadspin-editor-jim-rich.html

He worked at the NY Daily News, why can't he come up with headlines like "BEATER BEATING AGAIN - UFC'S SHAME" ?

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

harperdc posted:

are the new positions joining into the same union as Deadspin Classic had? I'm not sure, which was part of the issue.

That's what the new writers said, and the union never disputed it.

DiCaro has taken a lot of principled stands, it's really disappointing to see her join a company that's being sued for sex discrimination. The article that started things is pretty clear about the environment Spanfeller created.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Sure, but most of them haven't been as good about moral issues as DiCaro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Airline stocks just dropped 11-16% today. Portnoy just lost everything he made and more.