Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Funny how he doesn't feel bad about pissing on wrestler Eddie Guerrero's grave less than 24 hours after Eddie died. I don't care if you like wrestling or not, that was a dick move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
This begs the question: Did any Pittsbuirgh sports beat guys try to defend Big Ben after the allegations?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So how long before somebody writes a contrarian article decrying Sandusky getting the crap convicted out of him?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Ugh, I feel like I need a shower after watching that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Run Ricky Run is one of those rare documentaries that straight up changed my opinion on somebody.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also, wasn't Ichiro still learning english during his first year? Doesn't he still speak through an interpreter now at press conferences now? How the gently caress was he supposed to impart wisdom or learn through a language he doesn't fully understand?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The funny thing about that Cutler article is that if he was a vet who'd won a super bowl, people would be praising him his leadership.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Today he posted some cockamanie 3 way trade involving KG, Josh Smith and The Clips, with the usual who says no crap...and I thoyught to myself "Uh, 2 of the 3 teams involved in that trade say no".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Rick Reilly probably earned more for writing that than you or I will make in several years.

Yes, but money is not infinite, and his assholery is.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Maybe we'll get lucky and the modern day equivalent of Jim Everett trying to kick Jim Rome's rear end will happen on Cowherd's show. And this time the athlete in question will succeed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I would also say that even during his trolliest times, Rome knew when he hosed up and acted accordingly. Cowherd is frequently defiant when people call him on his stupidity. As if it's some sort of badge of honor to make fun of somebody for dying.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Prisoner posted:

Cowherd never did apologize for what he said about Eddie Guerrero, right?

He sorta did, but it was one one of those apologies where he mentioned he was being forced to do it, and that he thought it was ridiculous in the process. So it meant gently caress all.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Fox seems to delight in taking other TV networks' castoffs. I'm sure they'd give him a job.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Honestly, the only part about the coverage breakdown that bothers me is how little time Hockey gets but every sport above it is more popular in the US, so it's not even ESPN that's the problem.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
About the only way he's getting off light is that he avoided a lifetime ban, which I think Selig would like to avoid doling out, especially considering how many people think Rose belongs in the HOF.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nerdfest X posted:

I've written stuff just as good as that article, right here on SA. Stuff that makes people turn and look at a blank spot on the wall, squint their eyes and scrunch up their face like Bill Cosby, and ask that blank spot "Is this loving guy serious?"

I think I could get a sports writing job.

But are you old, white and cranky?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't disagree with the assessment, actually. I think he should be in the HOF.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Prisoner posted:

We've been over this a bunch in various MLB threads but Declan is spot-on. There has been one unbreakable rule in baseball that's been consistently handled with zero tolerance and Rose broke it. You don't bet on baseball. Period.

I understand that, but he didn't do it as a player, which is how he'd be inducted anyways. I realize the implication of him betting as a manager is that he could have done it as a player too, but they have no proof he did so. I say induct him as a player but make it clear he's still done with baseball.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Simmons vs Reilly would be ugly. They're both tools, but Simmons is not held back by his corporate masters nearly as much and can go anywhere he wants with criticism.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Neat oral history of the '89 quake during the A's-Giants series. Enjoyable. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9859539/the-1989-world-series-earthquake-oral-history

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningBoo posted:

I was gonna get mad at him for saying Iowa's state dish was a corndog but upon review that actually sounds about right. He way underrated it though, corndogs are one of the most perfect foodstuffs ever created and frying ridiculous things that should not be fried is a wonderful and delicious tradition.

It's a well known fact that most foodstuffs are improved by putting them on a stick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tyson was a talking head for the 30 for 30 about the 2 Leonard-Duran fights and he actually said some interesting poo poo and was one of the few who defended Duran.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Peter Gammons is dumber than dogshit, news at 11 http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/peter-gammons-compares-alex-rodriguez-boston-marathon-bombers-185814985--mlb.html

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Peter Gammons threw away decades of standout reporting and punditry to type nonsense words into Twitter.

I'd be curious to see how many people, not just in sports but in popular culture in general, have hurt or ruined their careers with Twitter.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

FuzzySkinner posted:

Armando Salguero ‏@ArmandoSalguero 5m
Trevor Knight mentioned Jesus Christ. Won't be long before the media hates him.

(some columnist for the Miami Herald)

This came up on my timeline via a retweet from a Browns beat guy.

I don't mean to even remotely trot politics into this, but the hell? I've yet to see anyone criticize any Athlete for their particular faith.

I mean Tebow was built into some Icon because of his faith.

Is there any documented proof of any news writer criticizing an athlete for their particular faith?

Tebow's faith was continually brought up because he supposedly was very expressive about it. Conversely, the only reason I know Jon Kitna is deep into Jesus is because he got fined for wearing a baseball hat that had a small cross on it during a post-game, which is against league rules, evidently.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

He agrees with you that it was dumb so I don't get what you're angry about. And just because you review stuff doesn't mean you listen to literally every single thing that's been released.

The dumber thing is that he is writing about Damon Albarn in 2014.

Not really, the album was critically well received and had a fair bit of anticipation amongst Blur and Gorillaz fans.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Anals of History posted:

That's peak douche. gently caress him, and gently caress all 41 people who favorite'd that post.

They're probably Pepsi employees.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What kills me about that Mel Hall article is the amount of families who took him in, then allowed him to sleep in the same room as their child.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Why don't they just can somebody who says something that stupid? The ESPN thing I get insomuch as ESPN has had a problem with disrespectful treatment of women seemingly forever.

But in the other case, is it common with that company? Help me out here.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Sports radio seems like a falling up industry, no matter how many times you gently caress up, if you get fired there'll be another radio station that will take you.

That makes sense...I mean Howard Stern got fired how many times? Not sports radio, but a similar thought process I'm sure.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Groucho Marxist posted:

Howard Stern has talent

He can be funny but he also had a gift for pissing off sponsors in his earlier years.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

That happened with LeBron and his top secret Nike contract that doubled if he played in New York too.

The problem I always had with this idea is that, yeah, in theory Lebron would get more media exposure if he played for NYK, but the guy's already one of the most famous athletes in the world, so it's unnecessary, really. Plus, if he couldn't win a title while there, I have to think a fair bit of the exposure would be of the bad kind.

I mean, poo poo, he plays for Cleveland again and people are making note of his JOGGING HABITS.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DJExile posted:

Stephen A Smith comes fresh off a suspension for saying dumb poo poo about hitting women, and promptly doubles down on it

:stare:

He learned nothing. Absolutely nothing. :catstare:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

It's incredible to remember that Ahmad Rashad was actually a multiple-time Pro Bowl wide receiver with the Vikings. All anybody knows him for now is his fluff interviews with NBA players.

Maybe it's relevant here, maybe it's not, but CNN decided to discuss Adrian Peterson and whoopings tonight and I caught some of it while I was changing channels. One of their panel guests (and African-American named Angela Davis I think???) actually said that the reason why black people use the switch on their kids is that way back in the day plantation owners beat their slaves so that's just how it ended up that way.

I always remember him as a host of NBA Inside Stuff, a valuable tool in getting through Saturday morning for a young El Gallinero Gros, and it also helped me get into the NBA in general.

Well, that and the bizarre physics of NBA Showdown '94.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Simmons has returned to Friday picks column duties. And if you expected to keep quiet on Goodell from here on out, well...that didn't happen.

"One more thing: Before we get to the Week 8 picks, I wanted to clear up my 2014 record against the spread. After three weeks, I was sitting at 25-23 … and then I didn’t make picks in this space for four weeks. So what’s my real record?

Well, if Roger Goodell can claim that Ray Rice deceived him on June 16, or that Goodell didn’t know what was on that second elevator tape, then I’m claiming that I went 58-0 against the spread from Week 4 through Week 7."

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/week-8-picks-a-gambling-epiphany/

That's the first discussion of Goodell in the column, but certainly not the last. Looks like he's not going to back down in the slightest. Could be interesting developments ahead.

I've gradually lost interest in Simmons every year for about the last 5 years, but if he wants to constantly take shots at Roger Goodell, I fully support that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Eh, Simmons always maintained even after going after Stern that the good Stern did far outweighed the bad. Plus he asked Stern to admit he rigged the draft, which Stern brushed off. Also, he admitted that Stern's decision making in the last few years made him lose some respect for him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I just picked up Boy on Ice, the Derek Boogaard story from the library. Anybody here read this? How is it? Apparently it was nominated for a Pulitzer.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MourningView posted:

Changing topics a little, this Joe Posnanski piece on Priest Holmes' life after football is typically excellent and absolutely heartbreaking.

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/priest-holmes-real-life-or-fantasy/

Poor guy. I wish we could find a way to protect these guys when it comes to life after the game. Football's catching up to pro wrestling with the number of relatively young guys who are either dead, crippled, or irrevocably screwed up. So sad.

Also am I being harsh or does Brian Billick come off like a dickhead in this story?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 25, 2014

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I hope those guys got paid REALLY well for those cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

would love to have that bears one

Here's a tiny fridge magnet version http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKE-SINGLETARY-BERMUDA-TRIANGLE-COSTACOS-POSTER-FRIDGE-MAGNET-chicago-bears-/251327352855