Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm still laughing about the fact that WaPo partnered with them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

no seriously

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chutwig posted:

If Utley is dealt for anyone short of a package of Pujols, Tulowitzki and Posey I will poop into my Phillies hat and mail it to Ruben.

my favorite part was my reaction to the headline being immediately one-upped by my reaction to "they could throw in Dom Brown to make it work!"

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

http://www.murraychass.com/?p=2621

yeah that happened

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

I was listening to Mike and Mike this morning. They were talking about tonight's Cavs Heat game and Mike Golic said "the actual game is the least interesting part of this story."

I thought that summed up ESPN and sports journalism nicely.

he's right though

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Smoltz just got a hell of a lot cooler in my eyes. Not that he wasn't cool or whatever to begin with.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cowherd's a troll that fell for his own trolling at some point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what in the everloving christ is that list

edit: that list is so loving bad i don't know where to begin

edit2: i'm inclined to believe that he just selected that list by doing a P(Yes)=1/3 random selection

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 16, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Politicalrancor posted:

I'm fairly ignorant about the subject, but is Grady Little still reviled for keeping Pedro in? Was he wrong to keep him in? Am I an idiot?

He would be Buckner 2.0 if they hadn't immediately won in 04, yes, jury's out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

He's 100% right except for sporting events where you basically should never be seated anyway (except baseball because it lasts 30000 hours),

stopped clock, twice a day &c

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gently caress yeah, 15 ns of fame for me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

SAS > everyone, shut down the sports industry

conversely, i feel bad for the intern that had to search the internet for bad deadspin publicity.

i like to think that the dintern is actually a forums poster

it's me

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kaworu posted:

This really makes me worry about what's going to happen if I ever become famous, good god.

so has anyone pm'd you a dickshot based on your av or not

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

kaworu posted:

Well, a couple goon-friends that I was already familiar with did so jokingly, but nobody other than them. It's a cool avatar though, it produces amusing reactions and I enjoy that it marks both my gender and sexuality as ambiguous to some degree. I still don't know who bought it, though :(

unfortunately i can't claim credit.

that's disappointing, i was hoping that as a result you would be rollin in cock pix

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Parlett316 posted:

drat I must a touched a nerve poster chutwig! Maybe you should take some mydol and settle down!

maybe you should make better posts

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

chutwig posted:

Mark Sanchez is from Long Beach :confused:

yeah, long beach, mexico

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ryborg posted:

Hey let's combine everything terrible that's been mentioned on this page in one column

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/348986-rick-reilly-should-apologize-to-me

holy hell how bad do you have to be to unsuccessfully critique/troll reilly? that fruit's so low-hanging it's a tuber.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i'm undecided, that may in fact be so lazy and stupid that it owns

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

really the only thing there is probably doing steroids and the slap, with maybe a slight argument for the popup thing

grand scheme of things, arod still owns

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

leokitty posted:

That post highlights how terrible their new article layouts are.

I came in here to say this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

So Henry Abbott of TrueHoop came out with a blog post entitled A Punitive Coach.

I haven't yet been able to gather my feelings toward this one, but I'd love to hear SAS field it.

I think that last anonymous email pretty much nails it for me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah that article was obnoxious

i just made the mistake of reading the comments on a puff piece by fatty abe about how Mike Cameron is cool with being 4th OF and bench bat

i need a drink

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Simmons is annoying but there's at least some potential for that site to not suck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah like what the hell is Craggs doing still writing for that site? Dude owns.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

this is actually worse though

quote:

Do you think Josh Beckett(notes) is a six game winner or a 20 game winner? After an injury filled 2010 year, Josh has proclaimed himself healthy, and rearing to go. I think you can add 10 more wins to the 2010 total.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

leokitty posted:

This is really bad but all I can see when I read that statement from Brayant is

:qq: "I am so sad today," Bryant said. :qq:

I have this conflicting gently caress the Po-Lice/Mass is a racist state thing going on that is in direct opposition to my gently caress Sportswriting/ESPN is the Worst thing. So much conflict.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

Based on the info in those 2 articles I would tend to side with the independent witnesses though.

I don't really want to disparage my Fellow Citizens of the Common Wealth of Massachusetts but I'm interested in what their races and ethnicities are before I go ahead and side with them.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Smorgasbord posted:

So if they happen to be white then that must mean they made the whole thing up because they are obviously racist?

yep that's what i said you big retard

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BackInTheUSSR posted:

Listen I know this is the same story Reilly has been writing for 20 years but I thought it was cute. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6170690

that article loving blew and represented literally everything that is wrong with current Rick Reilly

seriously read that article and then read the one on Kenny Wilcoxen http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1006129/index.htm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Yeah, pretty much anyone who has read or seen anything from Reilly has to have figured he's been mailing in his entire ESPN deal. Meanwhile, Dan Patrick actually improves the overall quality of Sports Illustrated's output. Not a bad swap.

Calling it 'mailing it in' is a bit insulting to the USPS.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

how does he have a job, seriously

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

what in the hell is his point there i don't even understand

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Would 'fuckheads' work?

parolees?

so don't read comments etc but this is the most frustrating thing ever with stats: people conflate actually making descriptive statistics that better describe performance with increasing the levels of trivial minutiae, vis

quote:

There are too many stats already, with new ones seemingly added every day. "So and so is the career leader in three yard runs following a play action pass in the 3rd quarter of away games".

the hell that's not a new stat that's just adding more criteria to # of runs

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 4, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Fire Cafardo.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/03/13/phillies_and_sox_seem_to_match_up__in_trade_pieces/

Here's his lede:

quote:

So far, the Red Sox have held up their end of this Philadelphia-Boston dream World Series scenario, but the Phillies may be messing it up with injuries. But it’s early enough for them to recover, and the injuries have not played havoc with the Fearsome Foursome pitching rotation.

die die die die die

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

leokitty posted:

Why is that a "dream World Series" scenario

FOUR ACES versus SIGNIFICANTLY LESS THAN FOUR ACES?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MLB is trying to set up the Red Sox with literally anyone because they don't have a natural NL rival. They're also trying Sox-Braves because of the whole "Boston Braves" thing which was relevant in like 1950.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

zakharov posted:

That reads like the "game stories" in baseball mogul

It probably uses the same software.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Meltathon posted:

I can see how they might want to use that for low priority games because even paying someone say 3 hours to watch a game, and then say 30-60 minutes to write and edit a short column like that is going to cost at least $250. Multiply that by the hundreds of games like that and it makes sense. That computer summary is totally worthless though, it's just a straight up reading of the box score, for obvious reasons.

wait really, I got paid about a hundred bucks a go to write as a stringer for a Serious Business newspaper.

there aren't that many additional costs associated with the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The Pussy Boss posted:

I read that article and overdosed on heart and grit and now I can't stop hustling around the house the right way (with a lot of swagger).

i just slid into my desk chair headfirst