Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
simmons to hbo would own. he's great at managing his own poo poo, and hbo knows how to handle creative types

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i read that conde nast thing yesterday and i kept thinking how is this news, glad to see they took it down but uh, cat is kinda it off the bag now

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mozi posted:

Somewhere, Barry Bonds' ears perk up...

barry bonds is the greatest baseball player of all time, he wouldn't be concerned about whatever chucklefuck comes in second

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i watch sportscenter generally when I'm going to bed because i like to have a tv on while I'm reading at night. if i could get nhl network i would watch that.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

xbilkis posted:

I love that someone bought the url http://blackgrant.land to redirect to the archived version of this terrible article that had to be taken down

lmao

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Found the weirdest coat at a second hand store the other day:

Which immediately made me sad that Grantland doesn't exist anymore (despite its flaws) because they wrote a great article about Sports Phone like a year ago.

e: holy gently caress breaking tables

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

If you wanna find some weird American second hand clothes, go to retro/second-hand stores in foreign countries. I went to one in London for shits and giggles and they had things like American high school varsity football jerseys from the 1980s (you could tell because they were those high cut midriff ones) on one of their clothing racks.

ayn rand hand job posted:

or 3rd world countries

oh yeah that same store + it's sister stores have racks of football/cheerleading/field hockey/etc. varsity jackets from the 80s-00s and it's vaguely creepy to me to imagine walking around in someone's high school jacket that says JEREMY 02 03 04 05 on it

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
peter thiel is a weird dude. i saw him give a talk where he praised karl marx endlessly and said that most of what he wrote is true. the main focus was the idea that capitalism always produces markets that end in monopoly. thiel agreed with this but thinks that just means that investors and business folks should only work on or invest in things that they can monopolize because that's how to make money.

afterwards he did a book signing and i asked him if he could make it out to my old lady and his little gay dwarf helper looking guy said "no special requests!!" and moved in between me and thiel like i was going to attack him or something. but thiel just said "what's her name" and did it.

he told people to pitch him a fifteen second idea that sounds crazy but is true so i told him that i get super hungry when I sneeze a bunch from allergies and he said "I'm not sure how you can make money on that."

anyway that's my Peter thiel story. he has really dead eyes.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I think it's good he's caring more about women's issues now that he has a daughter. I didn't care about Boston area townie assholes until I read his stories about Sully, Murph, Turd, Boob Dog, Cuntass, Seath the Scaleless, etc.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
good to see pareene at deadspin. i wonder how much political stuff he'll do over there

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i like watching people play pro cs:go, some of the recent tournaments have been very exciting. watching high level NHL is also fun but hard to find and not nearly the level of competition because there's no money in it yet

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

C. Everett Koop posted:

i really hope NHL stands for National Hockey League here

yeah i meant the game, not the league. league gaming had (has?) a pro series but the stakes were absurdly low, like a $150 buy-in per team.

the talent deficit posted:

competitive rocket league is absurdly good to watch

yeah forgot about this, that's very fun

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
like alex Rodriguez would gently caress anything other than a blowup doll that looked uncannily like himself

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

He has two daughters already

so he screwed his beard in front of a mirror twice. big deal. hell, he's a man with needs

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
there was a second hanger

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
jon bois is very good, i like his videos a lot

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
you can nPIN IT ON THE BROAD. YES!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Glad to see Carp's getting work again but they should really just poach Andrew Gross from Fire & Ice and put him back on the Rangers beat

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
"electronic" sports are cool

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

a false posted:

hmm.... they're not

no, they are

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i will say that I have tried to watch League of legends and hearthstone and some fighting games stuff but I rarely understand it, so I'm not sure where the appeal is for people that don't actually play the game like i do with overwatch. but i've never played anything other than backyard football and like watching that so i don't know. but there seems like a difference even though football is very hard to understand for people who haven't grown up watching it.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
as a Deadspin reader who watches e sports, that's exactly the type of content that I Want

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fast cars loose anus posted:

My favorite was the person who wrote a whole article basically going "oh NOW I get sportsball fandom" after she started rooting for the NY Overwatch team

why is that bad. i thought that was a good article

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

I will probably pay for this just for full access to the 30 for 30 archives any time I want it.

yeah pretty much, there's been a ton that i haven't been able to watch since i never catch them live and they went off netflix

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I mean, I would pay 4 bucks a month or whatever it is if Andrew Gross covered the Rangers again since he was their best beat guy, but they hired Rick Carpinello who is just very bland so I read more of the other stuff on the site. so it depends on the beat writer for me

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

I must be missing something obvious...

it's an "all asians look the same" joke

e: fb

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fairly sure felix lurked/lurks the psp threads so this could be interesting. and i think everyone likes jon bois so that's exciting.

there's a fuckload of MMA history that is super fertile ground for longform stuff. Pride-era/any of the insane kickboxing criminal stuff

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Fauxhawk Express posted:

there are many other candidates, but every MMA/pro wrestling fan on the planet needs to know the story of Yoji Anjoh getting his rear end beat by Rickson Gracie

yeah or mark hunt trying to throw that dude out the window or any of the hammer house-chute boxe stuff.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Declan MacManus posted:

any good resources to read about this stuff? i only know boxing stuff

the kickboxing thread in psp is honestly one of the best ever threads on the forums. there was a link in there not long ago to a guy who ran a blog about the dutch underworld which is a complete venn diagram overlap with the Dutch martial arts scene, but i can't find it

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Ramadu posted:

There was a thread where an employee of one of these was talking about it and the questions they got. The angriest people got were if they had black people in their past or jews. it was pretty amazing.

i would love to read this. know what it was called?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
so incredibly hyped for that

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
http://deadsp.in/6oOnnND

Really good article about Tyson Fury

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Stephen A is funny and about as entertaining as you can expect for someone in that role, until he gets serious like telling pro athletes that they don't want to make an enemy of him, then he's extremely funny

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Redgrendel2001 posted:

The "Honk if you're carrying Steve Garvey's child" bumper stickers were popular in SoCal for a long time.

lmao

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Henchman of Santa posted:

David Roth is at Deadspin

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
yeah i was really upset when i thought they were gonna close, deadspin in particular tends to have some of the most required reading of any site period coming out imo

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
even if their ARPU is fairly low it still bizarrely will almost look better for investors since it will be easy to show somewhat stable growth. they will raise prices or not offer as many deals next year to bump it up a few dollars, then more the next year, etc.

they'll probably have good retention rates since people have short term memories and the investors are probably on board with that growth plan.

not that it might be as great for us in 5 years when we're paying 10-15/month but they give a lot of freedom/pay to a lot of really good writers and their interface is clean, so the price point before i cancel would be pretty high

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the fact that deadspin's writers routinely write poo poo like that (their interview with Univision after they bought them, eg.) is one of the reasons I trust them 100x more than basically any other publication

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
California's about the only state that could pull out of the ncaa and have good leagues with juat their in state teams so i hope they do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

then how come I'm 900lbs despite being masters in overwatch