Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

I've heard of mailing it in but Jesus Christ

I am horrified by the thought that Dave Cameron will find a female foolish enough to reproduce with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

I feel like the anti-SABR types think that watching baseball to a stathead is like staring into the Matrix, where all we see are glowing green lines of numbers. They seem to have trouble recognizing that it's something that adds to the game-watching experience and that nobody but the most Stallmanesque of sabermetricians, if they even exist, would seriously suggest that it is in any way a substitute for watching the game or that people find statcrunching to be more fun than watching a game.

However, I suspect they do this because they have trouble actually attacking the notion of advanced statistics, so instead they set up this strawman of a basement-dwelling STATA geek who doesn't even watch games but just compiles numbers all the time and attack that instead. Whether or not advanced stats capture everyone's attention is not and has never been the issue. It's whether it can capture the attention of people whose baseball decisions matter that's important. I don't give a crap whether Will Carroll knows anything about SIERA or xFIP, but I would like it a lot if Ruben Amaro understood and used them in his pitcher evaluations.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am the strawman.

Confession time: I don't know much about Excel and certainly don't know how to do a multivariate regression. :(

jeffersonlives posted:

I don't ever use :stare:, but uhhhh :stare:

"Wow, I thought since she's not ugly she'd have to be really stupid! What a wondrous discovery that she wasn't Paris Hilton after all!"

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

He started off so well and then what the hell happened? Like was he just being sarcastic for the first three answers? Because those seem pretty correct and then he dives into "Rollins is a more valuable player than Utley" and "minor league numbers don't mean poo poo"

The copy and paste is a little misleading. The answer immediately under [Hayes] is what Marcus Hayes said, and then the next line between that and the next comment is a comment by the writer from Crashburn Alley casting aspersions upon Marcus Hayes' relentless idiocy.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:stare:

no seriously

:stare:

If Utley is dealt for anyone short of a package of Pujols, Tulowitzki and Posey I will poop into my Phillies hat and mail it to Ruben.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Tender Bender posted:

*Marquee free agent signs in large market city for huge cash*

"WHAT AN IMPROBABLE PUNCH!"

Every time a Philadelphia-related sports article references Rocky in some fashion, take a shot~~

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

What's better is that they probably paid someone decent money to do two utterly awful caricatures.

The first one is at least somewhat recognizable as Peyton Manning. The one on the right, though? I thought it was a Dolphins uniform until I looked again and realized it was supposed to be Tom Brady.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Parlett316 posted:

Have we heard from one female sports reporter crying about the weather yet? Someone should ask Peter King if that string between his legs tickles.

I get it! Peter King must have a vagina because he's whiny! Nobody with a dick would ever complain about things.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I really doubt gawker is as open to libel as everyone thinks. Denton and AJ are twats, but they aren't dumb. I'd imagine those dudes have a pretty drat good legal counsel on hand for these stories.

Keep in mind that Gawker's legal counsel is some British woman who gave that Gizmodo editor every single wrong piece of advice she could have given in regards to the iPhone 4 prototype that the editor bought off somebody. Regardless of whose side you were on in that case, she gave pretty bad legal advice and was clearly unaware of a number of California state statutes, so I wouldn't necessarily assume that Gawker's aware of where the legal boundaries could fall.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Bigass Moth posted:

Good thing Sanchez doesn't play for a team in his Mexican homeland where the Age of Consent is 12 :negative:

Mark Sanchez is from Long Beach :confused:

chutwig
May 28, 2001

The broken bones posted:

What surprises me most is some of you actually read Deadspin with regularity

I occasionally look at Deadspin or other Gawker sites for the same reason that I keep up with various right-wing media outlets; it's not for actual consumption of news items.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

AlleyViper posted:

I feel like this fits here
e: some more
ee: wait, wait, one more

Antonetti, the grittiest of all GMs.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

gardenald posted:

Man he's really buying into the MLB-created "Boston-Philadelphia rivalry!!!!" thing, isn't he?

I don't understand why MLB even wants to create this rivalry. Is it not adequate to play up Phillies-Mets or Phillies-Braves, which do actually exist? Phillies-Mets in particular should be more than enough material, and I can't think of any other cases where MLB is trying to set up interleague rivalries that don't already have reasons to exist (SF/Oakland, Cubs/White Sox).

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Crazy Ted posted:

Deadspin is such a hard site to get a read of because for all the horrible poo poo they do they turn around and post heartwarming stuff like this and it makes you want to like them again.

I'm really glad that the first comment is BUT WHAT ABOUT THE KID DOING THE BULLYING HE COULD HAVE BEEN KILLED. As somebody who had to deal with being bullied, that video was gloriously gratifying.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

FairGame posted:

In which Murray Chass uses gossip to paint Stan Musial as a racist:

Go gently caress yourself, Murray Chass.

(better discussion here (http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/murray_chass_on_baseball_musial_no_man_of_honor_mr._president/P100/); apparently this is old news and was already addressed. Chass is either late to the party or is cherry picking accounts in order to be a dick.)

I am really enjoying some of the comments on this page in which people attempt to come up with new Murray Chass blog headlines:

SANDY KOUFAX- YOU COULD HAVE PITCHED ON YOM KIPPUR IF YOU HADN'T SINNED SO MUCH
MARGE SCHOTT WAS GOOD IN THE BEGINNING, BUT SHE DID NOT GO FAR ENOUGH
KIRK GIBSON- THE SLOWEST HOME RUN TROT I'VE EVER SEEN

chutwig
May 28, 2001

Well, you know, the guys who did the beating were probably negroids driven into a frenzied bloodlust at the sight of a blonde white woman, or possibly illegal immigrants angry that this gringo was on their turf repping the colors of their mortal enemy.

What I'm REALLY saying here is, if you'd stop letting these welfare recipients spend my hard-earned tax dollars that Nobama insists on giving to lazy shiftless browns on baseball games and crowbars, we wouldn't have this problem! Am I right? Huh?

Think about it.

please write something like this in your next column Steigerwald

chutwig
May 28, 2001

stuart scott irl posted:

This is one of Mandy's blog posts on Jayson Werth last year

Note that on the day she wrote this, Jayson Werth was hitting .283/.373/.505

Believe me, many things go on that as a journalist I can't talk about. For example, I can't mention the time he took batting practice by ripping the heads off kittens and hitting them into the upper deck. I especially can't make light of the numerous occasions on which I witnessed Jayson Werth savagely sodomizing poor Kyle Kendrick with a fungo bat, and under no circumstances could I mention the time I tried to ask Jayson about his lack of clutchness and bad attitude for another lovely smear piece only to be rebuffed and told I was a third-rate journo who was lucky to have a job at some Lehigh County fish wrapper.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

The Goog posted:

If following the Red Sox has taught me anything it's that you can spin a 3/4 empty stadium for game two of a doubleheader on a rainy Sunday with the worst pitcher in the world starting as a "sell-out," and the local media will eat it up.

"Sellouts" are judged based on the number of tickets sold, not the actual seated attendance that passed through the gates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chutwig
May 28, 2001

I really like that in a sport where there are 1200 players combined from each team's 40-man roster, they feel the need to point out the top 500 of those. Even with changes to 40-man rosters over the course of the season, they're highlighting about 40% of all baseball players. Why even bother?