Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mods please change my name to The Enemy of Sports Journalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

He's not the one writing the tagline, for what it's worth.

That said, he's the same guy that advocated hosting the World Series in some nice warm city. Dude can write, but he's wrong about things an awful lot.

I actually find myself disagreeing with a lot of our sports content.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

In fairness, the author is probably right that if Lueke pitches well, the fact that he's a loving rapist will be largely overlooked by most people because baseball

I mean, poo poo; look no further than Penn State where there are still people happily overlooking rape because SUCCESSFUL FOOTBALL

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

jeffersonlives posted:

Yeah I just can't imagine why those companies are willing to put their logo on this kind of unprofessional trash without any oversight.

Because then when you have an RFP you can massively inflate the uniques your brand reaches, and advertisers are generally neither savvy nor invested enough to really give a poo poo as to the inner workings of your number.

Meanwhile, the PR hits you take from time to time with this sort of thing just really aren't all that damaging externally. I'm sure there are people within the company who feel like poo poo and have a lot of internal meetings right now, but externally? Nobody outside the industry gives any fucks.

sportsgenius86 posted:

ad revenue at no overhead cost

I'd be shocked if the CPM for these sites was anything worth writing home about. Suspect it's really just a way to get a prettier top-line number to be more attractive to advertisers who want the flagship brands.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

We interrupt your story of weird leather fetishes and WAR additions to bring you this, from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Bernie Miklasz. On the Adam Wainwright extension:

A guy who's smart enough to know better posted:

We can talk about Wainwright the pitcher and his value on the mound. Generally speaking, I believe that all of the “good in the clubhouse” talk is overblown. We sportswriters tend to whip up these narratives and pump them until the point of absurdity. But in this case, the intangibles do matter when assessing Wainwright’s value to this team.

"People talking about clubhouse chemistry are dumb and it's a dumb narrative. Now let me tell you about the value of Adam Wainwright's clubhouse intangibles."

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This is the best SB Nation article of all time and Jon Bois is a wonderful human being who brings me great joy

http://www.sbnation.com/2013/5/1/4282368/tim-tebow-cfl

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This is older than dirt but it came up again in conversation.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/the_bonus/09/18/coolbaugh0924/index.html

A really touching story about Mike Coolbaugh, who died as a 1st base coach after being struck by a foul ball. A lot about the family he left behind, the guy who hit the ball that killed him, etc.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So the St. Louis Post-Dispatch has been running a morning video series featuring Bernie Miklasz, their lead columnist.

It's entitled "Breakfast with Bernie."

In which the titular character seems to've just shuffled out of bed (where he wears a sports jersey as pajamas), pours some oatmeal and places it on his radiator, and then mumbles about sports into a webcam.

Miklasz is a very talented writer even if he does get really lazy sometimes and cherry picks a few stats to make his case--a practice he's clearly smart enough to know better than.

But...who thought this was a good idea? Poor guy looks like he'd rather be doing anything than this.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Want to see a hilariously melodramatic article written about Ryan Braun and PEDs in which the author is dead loving serious the entire time?

Then click here!

click here for the soundtrack!

A choice exerpt:

Joe Strauss at Peak Emo posted:

Its credibility shot, Braun’s show is all but over. All that’s left of the gutless act is an orchestrated presser in which he again looks soulfully at his audience while offering a soulful apology. Perhaps this time he’ll entertain questions. Who knows? Maybe he’ll grope for a kernel of truth within a sack of prevarication.

Cut me. Cut me. I can’t wait.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

What the hell? The day after Biogenesis and there's not a single A-Rod story here yet?

I submit exhibit A, in which "maybe his name isn't even Alex Rodriguez and instead his name is Beldar from the Planet of Lies"

credit to Smasher Dynamo in the Baseball Mogul Let's Play, which more of you guys should join!

e: I have started a Google Doc to collect the worst examples of overwrought sanctimony. Feel free to make submissions!

FairGame fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 6, 2013

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How dare that loving Cuban be awesome at baseball in a way that is not pleasing to me, the crotchety white sportswriter!

Here are some hypotheticals that may happen as a result and they would all be really bad! Did you see the nerve of that guy hitting a game winning home run when he should've struck out and then felt appropriately bad?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Not to flog Scorekeeping or anything, but the whole finding was "announcers are biased against foreign-born players." Couple that with the fact that I had like 2 observations for Ichiro and Kuroda or whoever, and "foreign-born" really just referred to Latinos. Craig Calcaterra argues the exact same point while simultaneously telling Scott Miller he's a jackass.

FairGame fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Aug 22, 2013

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Mornacale posted:

Your link is just to the front page of HBT. I presume you meant this article about Yasiel Puig?

Yep. And fixed in my post; thanks!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Crazy Ted posted:

Probably doesn't really cut it here, especially considering the kinds of accusations he's making toward his former Special Teams coach.

Why? What damages can the special teams coach prove? You think he's ever going to be able to demonstrate that he's employed/not employed on the basis of his opinions of same sex marriage? What damage has Kluwe caused any of these guys? This is a league that employs rapists, racists and murderers so long as they are good at footballing. Nobody is going to ever be able to say with a straight face, "Sorry dude but you're not coaching solely because you are a terrible human being with terrible opinions on same sex marriage. Otherwise you're amazing."

I don't see how this is any different than an athlete offering a parting shot at a former coach, which happens all the time without legal ramifications.

Kluwe's account of things other than the "I can still punt, guys!" is probably pretty close to the truth, but it really doesn't matter at all.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Crazy Ted posted:

I wasn't considering anything from a legal standpoint. I was just considering things from the fact that if Kluwe can't offer up any solid proof that any of this happened it's just going to make him look like a word-happy idiot again.

In his own article he said that NFL organizations aren't inherently homophobic, so if he wanted to he could have taken his parting shot at the Vikings back when he was actually cut and if his punting was as good as he describes it being he still would have received opportunities with other teams, because just as teams employ rapists and murders they'll also employ outspoken Gay Rights advocates if they get results.

I don't think we disagree with each other, then. At the end of the article he identifies the reasons he's no longer employed correctly--and erroneously flags his SSM stuff among the other correct reasons. Because a dude can do pretty much anything and still find a job in the NFL if he can play.

I think people are letting their opinions on Kluwe color their perception here. It's entirely possible--likely, even--that the Vikings employ(ed) a bunch of people who behaved exactly as he said, and that Kluwe is kind of an attention whore.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Gary Gaetti got a Stern Talking To for wearing "JESUS IS LORD" on the inside of his batting gloves during some 1980s ASG lineup announcement and he waved at the camera with them. I only remember that because that was how he was presented to the fans in 1996 when the new ownership Cardinals acquired him.

Also he was a very ugly man. Owned, though.

Last season the Cards' groundskeepers were putting a tiny cross in the pitcher's mound dirt before games in honor of Stan Musial. They were asked to stop and some fans got Real Mad at Mozeliak for enforcing a club policy of not having religious symbols up.

But no, no athlete is going to get clubbed for being like "yay jesus" or whatever.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I don't know what the policy is for posting content behind ESPN's Insider paywall, but if it's allowed, this is possibly the worst poo poo I've ever seen.

Synopsis if you can't get at it: We totally have an algorithm that puts a value on clubhouse chemistry in terms of the number of wins it creates/prevents. Oh, and clubhouse chemistry is influenced by a variety of factors including "the mixing of the races is bad."

It's utter poo poo, and while I saw a lot of you on Twitter also calling it poo poo, people may have missed it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

:getin:

I love this poo poo. And I believe Buster Olney poo poo on Scorekeeping once upon a time, too, so gently caress him.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

ElwoodCuse posted:

This thread's namesake is on Twitter right now blaming the Pittsburgh school stabbing on anti-bullying hysteria, the lack of male teachers, harsher punishments for in-school fighting, and the lack of armed security guards. This is a new low even for garbage like him.

I forget who it was, but someone after Newtown wrote 100% unironically that children need to be trained to rush shooters since a herd of 30 1st graders can probably bring down a shooter with fewer casualties than most school shootings have.

Nice to see that sportswriters can get in on the idiocy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Kevin slaten in stl has had about a million radio jobs, all of which he's been fired from for fighting, being an rear end in a top hat, slandering dudes, and so on.

Yet he keeps getting jobs.