Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Sad to see Deadspin go. I must have visited the site 20 times a day for the past decade. It’s going to be weird removing the bookmark. Like others, I guess I’ll actually have to read The Ringer now.

I hope everyone lands on their feet, and I really hope a few get together to start New Deadspin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I wonder how much of the Deadspin readership doesn’t know something is up and just figures they’re taking a break like when Daulerio took the reins at Gawker and gave everyone the weekend off.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What a ratio

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Lol and all, because how did he not realize what he was doing, but good on him for recanting.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Rich white kid soundcloud rapper is the stereotype that keeps on giving.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Just realized we’ll never get to see Gruden’s final shade of red. How tragic.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That was really good. Thanks.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

ilmucche posted:

Get proper trousers and learn how to slide? It can definitely be uncomfortable, but I have more fear of a routine ground ball than sliding into a base.

Saw a guy burst a testicle from a ground ball that took a hop. He had to get it removed, but he hit a walkoff in the final a couple weeks later so I’d say it was a wash.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Albino Squirrel posted:

Athletic go buy Deadspin instead

The more I’m catching myself trying to go to deadspin, the more I’m thinking how I’d pay like $5/mo... even with Haisley’s columns.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Have recent traffic numbers floated around? I would love to know what it looks like now.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

General Dog posted:

Bring it back with all the past hosts- Magary, Roth, Marchman, and Daulerio. Call it “Bum Town”

An excellent addition to the Bastard Radio empire.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Why won’t they create a patreon so I can pay for Newspin content?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Well yeah it’d take millions, but they don’t need to go right back to being their 2019 selves. A blog would do. I just miss Deadspin :(

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

General Dog posted:

They didn’t know the latter was coming, to be fair

IMO everyone saw the writing on the wall that Brady and Belichick were headed to splitsville.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Nice meltdown :smug:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Didn’t Simmons orchestrate Grantland’s editors simultaneously announcing their moves to The Ringer as some kind of mortal blow to the site to stick it to ESPN (an “eff you move” in Simmons parlance)? I don’t blame those folks for taking a secure-ish media job, but Simmons putting the rest of his former employees in the heap to settle a score is enormously petty.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Am I imagining Mariotti having a (former?) black partner? Maybe this is an instance where he has empathy.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Didn’t Magary and Roth say they’re bringing Deadcast back with a different name? Need to hurry that up.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

So hyped. I was beginning to think the calls for them to make their own site were just wishful thinking.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Weird of them to have an autographed photo from Sam Darnold’s senior prom, but there’s stranger memorabilia out there I guess.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Defector is beginning to put out posts about women’s sports and I’ve enjoyed reading them. I stopped following the NFL years ago and usually pass on their football articles, but I also get why they’re pumping them out.

I think holding Defector to such a high standard of inclusiveness as they’re getting off the ground, when we know they worked towards it at Deadspin, is a little too harsh.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That’s absolutely fair. I don’t blame anyone for not subscribing or cancelling if Defector isn’t covering what they want. I simultaneously think they’re allowed a little leeway while finding their new groove.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I gave Binge Mode a real try but Jason’s wacky drive time DJ voice was too much after a few episodes. I certainly seem to be the outlier though because people love that podcast and it’s nuts to hear Jason left because of a - I imagine modest - pay dispute.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I heard it as Roth trying to be gentle with his language in describing Drew’s condition, laughing when Drew crassly says “brain damage,” and then Drew giving him permission to call it that. Nothing about revealing a previously unmentioned substance abuse/mental health treatment.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 28, 2020

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

DJExile posted:

They had a few shitheads stop by to do one-off pieces, but as originals go you might be thinking of AJ Daulerio or noted sex pest Greg Howard.

E: they flirted with Bill Simmons and Rick Reilly for ages too but I don't think either one actually did a piece for them.

Wait what happened with Howard? I thought he was well liked and went on to NYT. I occasionally think about his absurd take that men shouldn’t wear shorts under any circumstances.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

You can't "disseminate" an entire copyrighted work without the creator's permission even if you're providing constant commentary on it. If you could do that, every single notable sporting event on earth would be live-streamed in HD for free on Twitch and YouTube by random people and there'd legally be nothing sports leagues could do about it.

I still don’t get how Twitch streamers are able to play, say, a Vice YouTube video to an audience of tens of thousands.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That’s unfortunate, but not surprising. And LOL if the ripple effect of Facebook’s scuffed metrics claims another victim and they start sticking all those beat writers in front of a camera.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I think it’s clear he hasn’t been the same since he cut off his ponytail.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah I like Normal Gossip, but Namedropping feels like it should just be a Radiolab episode.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

That’s terrible news about Jonathan. I hope his son learns just how much he cared about him. gently caress cancer.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Thanks for sharing. How heartbreaking. That piece linked on the previous page was very moving.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What psycho willingly eats a five-day-old sub?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Schremp Howard posted:

I met Darren Rovell at the national sports collector convention today. He really is just as weird in person as he is online and just really excited to own some insane oddball memorabilia/autographs. He had some cool things like Shaq’s student ID from LSU and a signed stub from the exhibition game between USA/USSR hockey in 1980 and then other random music stuff like a ticket form the Beatles first performance.

Later he tweeted about a guy who traded an Albert Einstein period photo for an authenticated strand of Kurt Cobain’s hair and he was giddy over a sealed vhs of Back to the Future II.

This reads like a lost page from Ready Player One

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

What an insane story. How do most of those adults make it through the day?

quote:

White parents in his defense reasoned that… an Afghan War veteran… had made an honest mistake and should be forgiven.

Gonna let my friends who deployed to Afghanistan know they can Say It, but the one who went to Iraq can get hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Holy poo poo he was actually there??????