Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

From what I've seen on Twitter Bomani Jones would have a whole section devoted to complaining about people in the comment section.

That seems reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

straight up brolic posted:

this criticism lacks any kind of depth in perspective. he's a bad writer because he's not versatile, but (in the context of the article) he's a good writer because he writes about sports in a way that the layman can relate to and laugh about. I don't get the people that want him to be like David loving Foster Wallace, he's served his purpose at ESPN for 15 years by driving viewers to the site and, in the past couple years, radically changed the culture of their audience with Grantland and 30 for 30. Reflecting on his reign as anything but a triumph for his employer is missing the point.

Forget it Jake, it's Gawker.

They're entertaining, but pretty much any time any of those sites get up on their soapbox to "speak truth to power" it's just a wet fart of self-righteous anger.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I love that every article about how egomaniacal Athlete X is always includes a little line like this:

From that Jenkins article posted:

Then he shuffles away from the podium in socks and slippers, as if it’s too much trouble to dress properly for something as paltry as a news conference.

"Cam Newton is an egomaniac and the proof is that he didn't dress nicely enough when we went to ask him dumb inane questions, does he not realize how important we are?!"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

El Gallinero Gros posted:

gently caress, black athletes can't win. It feels like if you embrace having swagger and playing the game at a high level, you're a "thug". Doesn't matter if you're actually involved in some criminal activity, because we all know what people who throw that word around really mean anyways.

But if you try and classily sidestep the issue of race and posit that peoples' dislike of you isn't based on such a tawdry, mean spirited, ugly thing like bigotry, then hey, you must be an uncle tom (at least according to dummies like the dude who implied RG III wasn't black enough, his name escapes me), or an egomaniac who thinks he can inspire hate with his "specialness". What the gently caress?

The general dislike for athlete's having egos is ridiculous to me. Cam Newton earned the right to think he's good at football by being really good at football.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

straight up brolic posted:

the ringer is an awful name and the visual brand is terrible too

I don't think it's a terrible name aside from the fact that all of the Google results are for the Knoxville movie.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
THIS THREAD IS GETTIN ME HEATED NOW.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Niwrad posted:

I don't get the point of reading Deadspin. They just find news that other people broke or stories trending on Reddit/Twitter, write a brief paragraph or two summarizing it, and that's it. I know they fancy themselves "real journalists" but they're mostly news aggregators. The original writing they do is just poorly informed takes on sports that are Bleacher Report levels of sophistication. Or I guess Drew Magary's wacky act that feels really dated these days.

The first time I read a "heavy-hitting" "think piece" on The Concourse I swore off of Deadspin forever.

Holy poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Yeah it's gonna be super awkward to him to not run into his birth mother since Denver's population is what, 3, 4 people?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Metapod posted:

Does he honestly think we give a poo poo?

It's Twitter, who gives a poo poo about anything anybody puts there?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Nick Denton personally penned a response to the Hogan verdict and his entire defense hinges on "He had it coming because he talked about his alleged sex life in public."

If you really must read it: http://gawker.com/the-hogan-verdict-1766460791

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crazy Ted posted:

"Well of course we posted the Erin Andrews video. It was newsworthy, you see..."

"We have been assured by reliable sources that Ms. Andrews is above the age of 4, so there was no editorial conflict."

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I am still disappointed that it's UConn and not actually Yukon that is murdering everybody in college basketball.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ElwoodCuse posted:

I don't know if I'm Too Old or what but I give zero fucks about podcasts no matter who is doing them or who is on them. This might also be because I can read way faster than anyone can talk.

I never figured out how to get them on my phone without using up all of my available space so I never really bothered. Plus it seems like most of the ones that weren't baseball-related I got recommended were at least 50% ads made to sound like part of the show.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

There's a kernel of a good story in here but it seems ridiculous that overall they went with "Black people are just emotional!" as the overriding thesis.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DJExile posted:

I liked a couple of Deadspin's writers (Burneko especially, and HamNo was great if he wasn't talking about culture/politics) and I'm sure they'll find places to land, but I got burned out really fast by Gawker, who seemed to be HEH :smug: : The Blog. Jezebel has one good article for every 4 that venture way into self-righteous eye-roll territory, literally nobody cares about lifehacker, and there are 10 billion other anime and tech blogs out there.

Jalopnik seemed alright on the whole, I'll give them that.

The most infuriating part of Gawker was how they would constantly "call out" other publications for being clickbait muckrakers as if the Gawker conglomerate was anything other than that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

R.D. Mangles posted:

Anyone else here reading The Only Rule Is It Has To Work? I couldn't stand Lindbergh at Grantland because I thought he was incredibly tedious, but I'm about halfway through and really enjoying this. In case anyone here isn't a giant baseball nerd it's about two Baseball Prospectus writers who took over an independent league team for a season and tried to use sabermetrics to vault them to the top of their four-team league, but it's mainly about trying to run a professional baseball team as a giant baseball dork and it's really fun.

I just picked it up last night. I think it's the first targeted Facebook ad I've clicked on, too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I guess it's good that it looks nice on mobile because it looks pretty lovely in a PC browser.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KFBR392 posted:

K thanks for that summary you bunghole, now how about you tell me who should get the difference between sale price and market price of an in-demand ticket, and why?

Peter Thiel should get all of the difference.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

soggybagel posted:

I miss grantlands layout.

Seriously, who the hell looked at this and was like "Yeah that's good, roll with that!"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kibner posted:

That looks like a very nice, minimalistic layout that is easy to read.

The header takes up the entire page and then the actual content takes up 1/3 of the horizontal real estate when you try to read it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kibner posted:

The header is only that big on the landing page and if you stretch out the content to the full width of the screen, it becomes unreadable. The content will only stretch to so many pixels/characters/other-length-unit wide. There is a reason why books with text people are expected to read only get so wide before they split into multiple columns (which isn't very feasible in the scrollable internet world).

I don't expect or want the content to go edge-to-edge, but it just seems like very strange choices for proportions.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm crazy because I guess Medium actually uses the same exact layout horizontally but seems wider?

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 9, 2016

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kibner posted:

They can set a max width. You can inspect the css to see what it is and compare it to what Medium uses. Once you go below a certain browser width, it should switch to a more mobile friendly layout.

It seems like they made the whole site proportioned for mobile even on desktop, I guess is my gripe. So much empty white space.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I figured when you land and see this in the airport, you just kind of turn around and get back on the plane.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
They need to pivot The Race Card into a NASCAR show.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The open water swim events are going to be held in literal sewage, so...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

morestuff posted:

Did anyone actually do anything like this at Sochi? All I remember is some tweets of broken toilets or whatever

Edit: which Petchesky thought were "hilarious" at the time

People did write about how the Sochi situation was the result of a hosed up political system and rampant cronyism with the building contracts, but that hardly seems like outlandish reporting.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I read a decent article recently about redesigning the Olympics and the gist of it was to have the events be held in different places, and have them maybe rotate. But instead of having to build some $allofit swim center in some new place, just keep having it at one that already exists. And then you can get more countries involved because you only have to worry about a single event rather than the $allofit that comes with every event. It's not like they can't do liver coverage from multiple locations on the globe, either.

I of course can't find this article anymore so...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chunkles posted:

I'm more worried about what "liver coverage" means. Is organ harvesting going to be a new sport in the Olympics?

They're just going to make it official now.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh also apparently the amount of contamination in the waters at Rio has actually gone up since last year..

quote:

Despite a project aimed at preventing raw sewage from flowing into the Gloria Marina through storm drains, the waters remain just as contaminated. The first sampling there, in March 2015, showed over 26 million adenoviruses per liter. This June, over 37 million adenoviruses per liter were detected.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/nypostsports/status/764300474447265793

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

FlamingLiberal posted:

Part of Gawker's problem is that at times they were extremely irresponsible when doing certain stories. They've done some good reporting but you have to have some restraint when certain issues come up. Like if I recall they had several opportunities to not end up in court over the sex tape and they refused.

http://gawker.com/a-judge-told-us-to-take-down-our-hulk-hogan-sex-tape-po-481328088

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Henchman of Santa posted:

Lifehacker sounds like something that could be folded into another blog.

I'm still amazed Lifehacker is still around, it's so hilariously useless and dumb.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lockback posted:

He has a white birth mother and was raised by white adoptive parents, so (race) traitor is a pretty charged insult. I'd like to believe that wasn't how it was meant....

They're calling him a traitor to America. It's stupid but come on you really thought they were saying he's a race traitor to white people?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Lockback posted:

It's a poor choice of words. I don't think that's what they meant, but there's a ton of racial poo poo being thrown around and anonymous quotes like that get taken as dog whistles by a lot of people. Just look at twitter.

When we're talking about somebody "disrespecting" the national anthem I feel like the intended meaning of the word traitor should be pretty clear. But maybe I'm just naive.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

xbilkis posted:

Drawing positive comparisons to the Berlin Wall is a great way to get people to buy into your ideas

I bet he thinks the Berlin Wall was meant to keep Communism out and clearly it worked!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

My favorite part is the implicit admission that Americans have better teeth than Europeans.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

milk milk lemonade posted:

American exceptionalism means this possibly true fact caused my head to explode.

We even create the best foreign dictators! EXCEPTIONALISM INTACT.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

This is just incredibly poorly made, too. Wow.

I mean, is this gonna end with "LIKE AND SUBSCRIBE GUYS!"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Regarding the HBO show criticism, Prestige TV critiques is a booming industry of its own and is full of as many hot takes as any sports league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Crazy Ted posted:

simmons offering promotions where you get half off a ticket if you show up dressed up as your favorite character from an 80's/90's TV show

I don't see the downside here.