Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Captain Charisma posted:

Also

Identify player who having an uncharacteristically good or bad season

Cite BABIP, LD% and some other things.

Say they will regress

:smug: I am a baseball genius :smug:

woof! woof! woof! woof!

wait that's just what we do in the n/v threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

OU football was something else.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

trem_two posted:

Speaking of Pearlman, he's in fine Pearlmanean form on the BYU/Davies dismissal.

That's written poorly enough to make me rethink my positon on that stupid honor code.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

i don't know why, but the phrase quad 5 galaxy really bugs me

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

he's a virgin or something i dunno

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Napoleon Dynamite. Topical.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

His hat has the tiniest halo floating just above it.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

All it takes to get the attention of the owners and players is a movement. A movement from fans for fans that will send a clear message to a league gone crazy. It starts with the remote. Maybe a web site. Some twitter campaigns. If a whole nation can rise up in unity (Egypt) I think it’s feasible to rattle the cages of the players and owners that it’s time to get this thing done. I almost launched a movement myself called the400. the400 is a reference to the horrible treatment 400 fans got at this years Super Bowl when they took their seats away and never replaced them. So you start a website called the400.com and you tie in social media, a few local radio stations, a press release and a forum for an entire country sick of the greed of professional sports. You urge nationwide boycotts of advertisers (start with the one that sponsored the Super Bowl) and away you go. I’d do it, but frankly don’t have the time. If you feel the urge. Go for it. Someone has to stop this nonsense.

I love this guy so much. Not watching football is like the revolution in Egypt. He almost did something once!

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

It's a pretty bad simile, but I've always liked that article anyway .

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Edawg06 posted:

Honestly, I don't think that's really it. I think it's more "Oh god we are going to have this rammed down our throats for a month." The HBO Documentary is proof of this. I mean, Jeter is a fine player and full credit to him when (if!?) he reaches 3000 hits. But it's not a national event and I don't need live look-ins of every at-bat.

Why didn't anyone make a documentary of Craig Biggio's 3000 hit and as an Astros fan I am totally unbiased in that statement.

They do live look-ins on every player's big milestones. They did it for Biggio too! 3000 hits, 500 homers or whatever are national baseball events.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

3000 hits is pretty cool, but it really doesn't say much about why Jeter was great.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

The broken bones posted:

Reminder that TJ Simers wrote a hatchet job earlier this year on Marcus Thames, one of the best people in sports, that made fun of his name pronunciation, which is exactly like the river and not hard to pronounce at all.

e: Another reminder that TJ Simers once wrote a season's worth of articles calling Andruw Jones fat and coaxed Jones into standing on a scale in front of him.

OK the Andruw Jones thing almost makes up for all of the other terrible things that he's written.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

That tweet would be right at home in the Irabu thread. Well, if it was funny.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Dumb simile aside, Orton is pretty decent!

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Yeah, shame to have a Princess Bride reference as your last public communication.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Huh, way to go out of your way to blame the victim Hickey

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I'm still struggling with the comparison to Finley's trades back in 1976.

Edit: Also he thinks that Burnett can only be good if there are better starters on the team which is pretty dumb all in all.

purkey fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 21, 2012

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

That almost reads like an Onion article.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Toffile posted:

This is the same newspaper that published this cartoon:

Editorial integrity isn't exactly a strong suit of the Post.

:stare: This isn't really a Post cartoon, right?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

I didn't even know that there was an ESPNHS.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

General Dog posted:

Crossposting from TFF, since it's kind of dead in here

Rick Reilly- always bold enough to argue a stance that virtually everyone agrees with.

Nice content free Rick Reilly we've all grown to ignore. "Hey Notre Dame, you suck, stop accepting all of the money and praise that the media, which I am a part of, heaps on you annually. No, that's it, I'm offering no solutions or any actual insight on Notre Dame football as an institution or how the press covers them. I'm not even going to weigh in on whether their independence is worth maintaining, how it's gotten them where they are now, or what it means for their future. I'm not going to even mention it it all. I'm just tired of you, Notre Dame because you don't win football games anymore. If you win ten games this year, all will be forgiven, and I'll give you a big 'ol blow job. Love and kisses, Rick Reilly"

Here's Mike Golic's surprisingly lucid rebuttal.

I'm amazed that someone wrote an article that makes me even slightly pro Notre Dame. That's just amazingly awful.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Hey, that guy invented Catcher's Earned Run Average. He's awesome.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Is that a joke article or does he really think that the word offense is confusing?

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Declan MacManus posted:

No, rumored Soviet abortion doping is the creepiest drat thing, but recruiting is pretty skeevy!

I was happier not knowing about this!

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Spoeank posted:

A 300 foot home run is fundamentally different than a 500 foot home run mostly because the shortest porch is 310 feet.

Inside the park or something I dunno

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

You can be pissed off about multiple things, it's not a limited resource. Also the sports forum would be a weird place to discuss the coverage of wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s