Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

seiferguy posted:

My God, for a second I thought you guys were just posting some random crazy dude who just found the internet and blogging, but he's an actual "journalist" :stare:

WE DON'T LIKE NO LIEBRAL MEDIA SISSIES IN STILLERS COUNTRY JUST REAL MEN LIKE STEIGERWALD

e: YINZ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Grittybeard posted:

I thought this guy of all people would be all over the "Kordell=gay" thing.

You kidding? Just look at that 'stache. You know this guy is on the down low.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Seriously, when you have to go back and explain your point, you really didn't get the job done the first time.

ElwoodCuse posted:

For a guy that apparently considers himself a sportswriter and a sports fan he sounds like the people that come into the odd GBS sports thread and talk about how sports are stupid and sports fans are children and why do you get paid millions of dollars to throw a ball around but I only make $38,000 a year working 60 hours a week an IT Help Desk.

And he writes about as well as the GBS crowd, too! Do you think... :ohdear:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

New thread title rules.

e: So, the BYU Honor Code isn't enforced equally, and is inequitable toward non-Mormon black athletes? How incredibly shocking!

And the school and its representatives don't fully advise new recruits of the code, nor the consequences of breaking it? :monocle:

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 13, 2011

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

A drat FOG posted:

"it really is a world-wide web"

ya know we need a computerweb just for real people like we got here in P-A

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Badfinger posted:

You know what I loving hate? Keys to the Game that are never, ever actual keys and sometimes aren't even about that game.

Keys to the Game:
Win the Series!
Keep the Momentum going!

gently caress.

It is not journalism, but I don't have any long form place to bitch about this.

Flashback to late 1991. I'm in Omaha, visiting a friend who was attending Iowa State. We go to a bar to watch an ISU basketball game. The broadcast team finishes the intro and gives us ISU's KEYS to the GAME! They are:

1. Score.
2. Defend.

Yes, this actually happened.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

seiferguy posted:

Ironically, those are the most accurate keys to every game of practically every sport that has an offense and defense.

Indeed. But we were hoping for something, you know, a little less obvious. A little more incisive.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

Scott Raab, a writer for Esquire, tries to pen a new nickname for Dirk Nowitzki.

http://twitter.com/#!/Scott_Raab/status/70760366099005440

Oops...

Gassing Jews humor is always a good choice, especially when nicknaming a German guy.

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

How difficult is it to come up with something like Nowitzkrieg, really?

Now you've offended the Poles!

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Stiegz posted:

He didn’t beat up his wife, girlfriend or baby mama.

Cuz you know, those black players have a lot of baby mamas.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

swizz posted:

The Masked Man is outstanding even though his analysis is a little overwrought sometimes, it doesn't even matter. Does he write anywhere else?

Who knows? He is, after all, The Masked Man.

From Parts Unknown...

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

Not sure where else to put this but if you used to watch CNN back when Nick Charles and Fred Hickman did their nightly sports show together show (that lasted close to fifteen years didn't it?), Nick Charles has died at the age of 64.

I called into Nick's show two nights in a row in '83. Disguised my adolescent voice on the second night, because, you know, I didn't want to seem like that was all I did was watch call-in interview sports shows on CNN. The look on Nick's face said that he knew. I almost panicked and hung up, but stuck it out.

So long, Nick. You were aces back then.

And that was a drat good highlight show until they brought on that douche Van Earl Wright.

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 27, 2011

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Moose Bigelow posted:

Were you Hank from Festus or Armando from Miami?

I don't remember if I used my middle name the second night. I probably just said I was from Omaha one night, and the name of the suburb where I lived the other (Papillion).

It's better than cranky old man "John in Plano" who called up The Hardline on The Ticket to complain about being left on hold too long, and then called back the next day as "Joe in Frisco" and didn't even try to change his voice. Then, he threatened to call the Better Business Bureau about them leaving callers on hold too long.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I once took a tech support call from Barnicle regarding a malfunctioning Mac G4 Cube in 2000. He was easy to work with.

Because he was not the usual bitchy, entitled jackpipe we usually got on the phone, I didn't ask him, "So, how's the plagiarism and making-poo poo-up game these days?"

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

zakharov posted:

He is the same dude who one tweeted the ultimate First World Problem

MY ENTITLEMENT

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

the talent deficit posted:

We can talk about exemplary journalism here too, right? From Jane Leavy, courtesy Grantland:

Read that today. A drat fine piece; highly recommended.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Anime Reference posted:

Look he's not a pedophile, he's an ephebophile.

:siren: WARNING: GIBBIS DETECTED :siren:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

morestuff posted:

From the Charlotte Observer:

This is always entertaining. The Steve Levy incident from 1995:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-cq0WG_qSA

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

The SituAsian posted:

Getting nearly beaten to death by a giant Korean will make you crazy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqsLJKeyR0w

He uses a still from that fight as his Twitter page background :lol:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Frot Lesnar posted:

She was dating BJ Penn?

them foreigners all look alike lol

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

seiferguy posted:

That reads like an union article, drat.

How dare you compare this article, clearly written by an industrious, independent-minded American, to union propaganda? :911:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I was shocked he actually said that, and followed it up with a disastrous clip from Thursday's Jay Paterno interview.

Why is Jay acting as the family spokesman? Why isn't the Scott, lawyer kid, taking that role?

Running Jay out for interviews is like putting a wounded cow in front of a wolf pack.

Dr_Strangelove fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 19, 2012

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Sara Ganim is going to CNN: http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/11/sara_ganim_who_won_pulitzer_pr.html#incart_river_default

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

ElwoodCuse posted:

Didn't he write a column once about something that was days out of date? And it led to him leaving the Philadelphia paper for good?

He wrote a column before SBXXXIX about McNabb's triumph as the first black SB-starting QB since Doug Williams. He kinda forgot about Steve McNair in SBXXXIV.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Frot Lesnar posted:

Why do you hate sex tourists?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

1. Shawn Kemp = Promiscuous
2. All Gays = Promiscuous
3. (All Gays[Jason Collins])

Ergo, Jason Collins is like Shawn Kemp.

I see his logic :pseudo:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Crazy Ted posted:

Yep. Part of what pushed her all the way to the right as opposed to just being a moderate Republican was her experience at what she termed "radically Left-Wing" Oberlin.

Also, a friendly reminder: this is the same woman who wrote an entire book centered on the main idea that the United States government's internment of Japanese citizens during World War II was a good decision - good policy and good for the safety of those Japanese-Americans.

Look, freezing tar paper shacks on the plains of Wyoming are good for your health, OK?

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Holy balls, Whitlock is on TV with Olbermann :stare:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

uublog posted:

I send carrier pigeons to voice my displeasure with the media

I sent a smoke signal to Rick Reilly.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I'm glad that burgoo got the nod for Kentucky. Fantastic stuff.

(food chat all up in here, this is surprising)

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

MourningView posted:

That is a common phrase and anyone trying to make a bigger deal out of it than that is going out of their way to be offended about something, or just wants to poo poo on Peter King for the sake of making GBS threads on Peter King.

That fact in no way makes his timing less exquisite, nor does it make him any less myopic.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

MourningView posted:

he is a football writer talking about football

He lives in a football bubble. Football is not its own universe!

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

midwat posted:

I hope Peter King stays in his football bubble, because his real-life opinions would be bland, terrible or both.

A very valid point.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

That was gross. I need to wash up after reading it.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

"Keep Jackson away from the putti, please..." - The Almighty

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

:negative:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

I found this piece interesting, and difficult. You know it isn't going to end well, and it does not. The Writer Who Was Too Strong To Live

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

General Dog posted:

Promise me you won't try it if I tell you

Of course it had be some Aggy poo poo

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

HOO-WEE THAT WAS ZESTY :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Timby posted:

They don't have beef, per se, they're just very distant from one another, partially as a result of their upbringing (their father was a drunken, abusive piece of poo poo).

That explains Skip, anyway...