Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Avoid ye all Cleveland media, especially Browns beat reporters. When Mangini was hired he cleaned out the front office and installed his own people. The people he fired were media leaks. Lo and behold, the media immediately had a grudge against Mangini and he was deemed a bad coach (2 playoff runs in 3 years with the Jets) and a terrible evaluator of talent (Mangold, Revis, Ferguson, etc.) Drafting Alex Mack may as well have been a deadly sin with Maualuga still on the board according to these people, who are now grudgingly admitting that a good offensive line is better than a 2-down linebacker.

Specifically, avoid Tony Grossi and Mary Kay Cabbot. I don't think I've ever seen either of these two actually break down the information given to them. They are muckrakers through and through. The only Cleveland-based writer of any value of Terry Pluto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

bananasinpajamas posted:

A lot of people expect Bill Simmons to be black, and entertaining. Neither are true.

I bet Bill Simmons is really, really entertaining if you are a Boston sports fan.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's one of the things I was referring to where you can see the talent underneath the layers of laziness and stupidity.

I will always remember when Bill said he had given up on the Bruins, but then 2 years later when they were good he was writing about them consistently. Also the Celtics. Currently, the Red Sox.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Is the joke that Aaron Hill is clearly having a down year or that anyone who hits 20 DINGERS is on roids?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
There are people in every walk of life who think their poo poo doesn't stink. It's not surprising that someone who gets paid (probably more than most of us make) to write about sports (a job any of us could do) would be like that.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Eggs posted:

As far as statistics go I wonder why a pitcher's wins are always displyed so prominently, seems to be one of the more useless stats in sports.

It was probably more important 100 years ago when pitchers started 30-50 games and rarely did not finish them.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Old tyme baseball stats like ERA and WINS dont really tell you much other than the run support a pitcher had. Nolan Ryan ended with around a 3 ERA and almost as many losses as wins but it's because he played on terrible teams for nearly 30 years.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
It only makes sense that Wins should decide the Cy Young winners. After all, Cy himself won a lot of games.

The NFL MVP award should also thusly be awarded to the Quarterback who wins the most games.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

stuart scott irl posted:

This is apparently an "article" by a "writer"

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2010/09/in_pitching_all_that_matters_a.html
From earlier this thread:

Bigass Moth posted:

Avoid ye all Cleveland media, ... only Cleveland-based writer of any value of Terry Pluto.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Hahah, "If he hits 500 homers, and is presumed to have done so while “clean”," well argument over there. *Puts Sammy Sosa in the hall of fame*

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

barkingclam posted:

Here's a fun column where a guy repeats a sentence about the 2009 Yankees 50 times. I'm not kidding: it's the same sentence, repeated 50 times, on purpose.

That is by far the laziest thing I've ever read.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I assume all baseballers are cheating in one way or another. Even if he's not, why would he ever intentionally do worse than he is able to? Terrible writing as usual from sportz media.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Lazy like a Fox posted:

I'd listen to a show that was 15 hours a week of some guy saying things like "Kobe is pretty good at basketball. So is Lebron. I feel no need to compare them."

The thing that angers me the most about Cowherd is that I never hear him talk about the West Coast unless it's Lakers.

I stopped listening to him because he was always either talking about how awesome it was that USC/Lakers/Steelers/Yankees were at the top, or how small market teams shouldn't exist because their fans suck or something. Seemed like every day he said the exact same stuff regardless of what was happening in the news.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I still haven't seen a good reason why his suspension was reduced to 4 games.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Badfinger posted:

Where'd he steal the comedy bit from again? I remember it being from somewhere I recognize.

Some Michigan fan blog or something.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

http://www.murraychass.com/?p=2621

yeah that happened

"Just ERA+, baby!" - sportswriters of the future

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

haljordan posted:

Doesn't the fact that Felix accounted for over 20% of Seattle's wins this year count for anything in that guy's mind?

He also accounted for over 20% of their losses!!!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

FairGame posted:

In the grand scheme of things, the Cardinals trading Brendan Ryan is irrelevant. Doesn't stop columnists like Jeff Gordon from writing dumb things, though!

I can quantify the missing attributes!

Hint:
1.) A 3rd baseman that wasn't Pedro Feliz
2.) A 2nd baseman that wasn't Skip Schumaker
3.) A SS that OPSed above .600
4.) Colby Rasmus on the bench in favor of Jay-CF/Stavinoha or Winn-RF
5.) A suddenly porous bullpen
6.) With Rasmus on the bench, only 2 full-time players who had a SLG above the league median. This might've not been so bad if not for
7.) the fact the team was really loving slow and full of Thurstonesque baserunners

Brendan Ryan being kind of silly had nothing to do with ANY of the above problems. Brendan Ryan being kind of bad only had to do with ONE of the above problems.

Oh, but that's just a convenient excuse for statheads. poo poo, man; you don't need to be a stathead to see all the horrible flaws in the team last year.

Wrong. Here is why they were bad: Last year’s Cards lacked grit, focus, perserverance and a variety of other attributes hard to quantify with a calculator. The team played fine against elite opponents, but struggled against lesser foes.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Copernic posted:

TMQ takes a bold stance against applause.

He's 100% right except for sporting events where you basically should never be seated anyway (except baseball because it lasts 30000 hours),

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
What's funny is they used to play NFL championship games in wonderful open air stadiums in places like New York, Cleveland, Detriot and Green Bay every year. These writers are just so used to being pampered that they act entitled to perfect Miami weather every year when the reality is that gosh, it's February in the Northen Hemisphere.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Good thing Sanchez doesn't play for a team in his Mexican homeland where the Age of Consent is 12 :negative:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

chutwig posted:

Mark Sanchez is from Long Beach :confused:

You may have heard America is somewhat of a "melting pot" of different nationalities.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

OrangeKing posted:

Based on that script, I can't even see that show ever getting on the schedule. Then again, maybe I shouldn't overestimate the networks.

I watched the pilot to Mr Sunshine. This script is about as entertaining.

I hope half of every episode is about how sports are a business and fans are totally stupid for supporting teams that are bad.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

jyrka posted:

Bill Simmons is starting his own website: http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Morning-Buzz/2011/02/18/simmons.aspx

ESPNBoston.com

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

AlleyViper posted:

I feel like this fits here

e: some more

ee: wait, wait, one more

Wrong

Wrong

Wrong

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Seriouspost where do Japan Base Ballers have spring training?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

At this point I really wish they would just do away with interleague all together because it's getting really drat tired. Or, at the very least, spread it out every couple of years so it's still special.

Interleague play was the worst thing to ever happen to baseball since the DH and banning of short pants.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I literally learned in 4th grade that paragraphs must contain at least two sentences.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

MorningView posted:

This isn't actually true, it's just a thing they tell little kids so they won't turn in assigned five paragraph essays that are five sentences long. You shouldn't overdo it though!

I know I'm not a journalist, but if I could get paid to write about a sport by scrawling random one-sentence paragraphs about nothing in particular I would love to do it.

"Our team sucks? Add more grit.

So says this reporter."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Destroy the entire human race if that's what it takes to get this dude to stop getting paid to write about sports.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Well, you see, the Pirates are bad and he hates them but the Penguins are good so they deserve a new arena.

Sportz journalism.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
It's almost as if he's saying that Babe Ruth won more titles because he played with better supporting talent than Ty Cobb. That would be a logical opinion though.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

euphronius posted:

Let me double check here: When Barry Bonds alleged used PEDs they were not banned by baseball right? I have read so much about Bonds "cheating".

PEDs were not banned by baseball at the time of the supersluggers in the late 90s-early 00s. Barry was in trouble for lying to congress about it, while Big Mac's "aw shucks" routine somehow got him in no trouble.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

AlleyViper posted:

Just gonna go ahead and cross-post this from the N/V thread

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110503&content_id=18575184&vkey=perspectives&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Ah back to the old "A Rod only hits dingers when it doesn't matter" fallacy.

I wonder how many of Barry Bonds' home runs won World Series. Hint, none.

By the way the grand slam isn't some mythical mark to set when Travis Hafner has 11 or 12 of them.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Funny how it met editorial standards to be posted in the first place.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

seiferguy posted:

I wish this dumbass wasn't writing for the regional newspaper:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/stevekelley/2015064565_kelley16.html

Yep, Brandon League's failure as a closer this past week has nothing to do with the fact that he throws fastballs all the time, he lacks "closer mentality."

So I guess we can add "attitude" and "stuff" to a checklist of what makes a good baseball player along with grit, heart, and intangibles?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Mornacale posted:

If a baseball player said they were taking the year off to read poetry, they would immediately become my favorite baseball player for all time.

This is why I forever love Ricky Williams.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
The DH is a totally worthless position but at the same time it's far more exciting than watching pitchers strike out 4 times a game.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Grozz Nuy posted:

But pitcher hits are the best kind of hits and totally make up for the other 90% of ABs.

agreed that nothing owns more than seeing a pitcher launch a dinger to improve his batting average to .059

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

unhwillneverwin posted:

I don't know how anyone can write this with a straight face.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/columns/story?columnist=marchand_andrew&id=6736177

The reason Jeter has such a high fielding percentage is because he has no range to get to any balls he might make an error on!

B-b-b-b-but he's the captain!!!!!!