Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

leokitty posted:

Not even the dumbest article on NESN today http://www.nesn.com/2011/07/is-jason-varitek-a-hall-of-famer.html

The author seems to argue that Yogi, Bench, Fisk played in better offensive eras than Varitek

So good-not-great catcher plays in a harder era than 3 of the greatest of all time, two of which played in the dead ball era. Ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

SporkOfTruth posted:

How in the hell can you poo poo on a kid's adoption? How is it even possible to be that callous and ignorant? :psyduck:

He should have been dedicating 100% of his time to rehabilitation for the Cubs' sure playoff run.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

BackInTheUSSR posted:

gently caress you.

3000 hits is kind of a Big Deal but he is having such an ungodly lovely year that they really should't be hyping it so much...but The Captain, etc.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Captain Charisma posted:

I hate Jeter now as much as the next guy, but...really? They shouldn't hype it up because he's bad now? I can't even begin to count how many things are wrong with that statement. At the very least did you consider that most players are well into their decline by the time they get to 3000 hits? Biggio had been in decline for years (masked by his home park). George Brett had a .397 slugging percentage the year he hit 3000.

I know but looking back in history there aren't many 3000 hit guys who were in their prime except for maybe Pete Rose and Ty Cobb so it is still a big deal. Especially for a True Yankee.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I thought I remembered that they didn't donate 100% of the money to charity.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Who's closest after Omar, A-Rod?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Grozz Nuy posted:

If Barry hadn't been blacklisted in 2008 he probably would have made it to 3000 :(

He also would have had 2000 ribbies and been only the 4th in history to do that...and with a very good year he could have been the all-time Runs leader too. Barry owns.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Captain Charisma posted:

CC Sabathia just threw a complete game shutout. His last 4 starts: 31.2 IP, 22 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 6 BB, 42 K.

Seems like a good time to remind everyone what a retarded piece of poo poo Mike Lupica is!!

That's so stupid. CC and Johan were like comparing apples and oranges at that point. It looks like he was just pissed that Johan turned down the Yankees, which is some sort of mortal sin.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

zakharov posted:

Johan didn't turn down the Yankees, the Twins decided they preferred the Humber/Gomez package :laugh:

Stil lthe point being YANKEES DESERVE ALL HALL OF FAME PLAYERS HOW DARE THEY NOT GET (INSERT X PLAYER HERE)!!!!!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Nate RFB posted:

How is it that the Phillies are able to trot out a rotation of loving Halladay/Lee/Hamels and Howard is STILL the guy journalists will not shut up about as the reason the team is worth following.

*ribbies
*dingers
*pitchers don't have many of those so their stats are confusing and irrelevant (except Wins and Saves of course)

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Moose Bigelow posted:

Did that just become a thing around 9/11? That's the earliest I can remember sports writers pulling the "if ever a city needs a title right now" bullshit.

Yes and the Arizona Diamondbacks needed it more than the Yankees :lol:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I finally understand Twitter. It exists to troll sports writers. I have seen the light.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Peter King has been going bonkers on twitter saying that John Beck is the answer for the Redskins for such reasons as:

RT @gamecocksfhb: You can't be buying into the Beck nonsense from Shanahan ... Brady. Warner. Hasselbeck. Romo. You never know is all I say.

RT @GonnaPhlyNow: None of those 30 when they became starters. John Beck will be ... None missed 3 NCAA seasons on Mormon mission. Beck did.

RT @wynnde13: All those QBs succeeded w/a shot. What did Beck do in Miami? ... Lord. He started 4 games when Mia was 0-10. In came Chad.

RT @JLevin28: Why is it not obvious to more people that the Redskins are tanking the season for Andrew Luck? ... Smoke reefer much?

So because Beck played limited time for one of the worst teams ever, and missed several years of college to be a missionary, he is clearly in the same class as Brady, Warner, Hasselbeck and Romo.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Twitter should not exist:

SI_PeterKing Peter King
I'll give you a bizarre Stat of the Afternoon. RBI: Ellsbury 75, Pujols 75.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Badfinger posted:

Understood. And yet he has only the 4th highest OPS among CF this season. In a down year overall, it is a pretty good year for CF! Plus, while I would not be that surprised for Ellsbury to maintain this OPS, I'd also not be surprised to see Pujols' OPS continue to rise.

Ellsbury OPS+ 136
Pujols OPS+ 148

Also Albert missed a good nugget of the season with an injury and RBI is a mostly meaningless stat anyway.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Nerokerubina posted:

I hope he posted that as a "wow RBIs don't actually matter" epiphany.

Think it was more of a "very good Boston player has [same meaningless stat] as one of the best active players in baseball"

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
SI_PeterKing Peter King
I guess Tim Tebow was Den's 4th-best QB when he led Broncs to 24-second-half pts and 24-23 win over Houston.

I'm not sure if he's being serious or sarcastic, but who cares what Tebow does against guys who will be cut in the next two weeks?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

leokitty posted:

This is how Jeff Passan's most recent column ends

Here is another excerpt

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_10_degrees_red_sox_choke_blame_091911

Reminder that the Red Sox have won two World Series in the last 8 years.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I have relatives from Boston and they are absolutely insufferable about sports. Even though the Celtics have won a shitload of titles and the Patriots have been in 7 Super Bowls, they acted so downtrodden until the Red Sox "finally" won (and then again). Come to Cleveland and witness some real pain :(

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

FairGame posted:

Does Twitter count as journalism? Because if so, insufferable douchebag Jeff Suppan Passan has a series of tweets condemning John Lackey for divorcing his cancer-stricken wife.

That's a lovely thing to do but hardly anyone's business.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Someone should just email him a huge picture of that ESPN Boston Magazine.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I could write a book of just bad Cleveland media tweets:

@TonyGrossi: Great QBs are great in the red zone. They lust for the end zone.

FYI, Shurmur called 6 straight runs in the red zone.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Mornacale posted:

Guess he should've audibled. :smug:

Jokes on you, he's not allowed!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Just wait until someone posts an article about how this is totally different (from Sandusky) because he was raping young GIRLS instead of young BOYS.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Crion posted:

3B Yankees is the new QB Eagles

I believe you mean Redskins LB #56

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

CraigK posted:

"WHY SHOULD I VOTE FOR SO MANY GUYS THAT MIGHT MEAN THE INDUCTION CEREMONY GOES ON TOO LONG AND I MIGHT MISS MATLOCK"

DOGGONIT MY VCR TAPE RAN OUT AGAIN

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer was demoted from Browns beat reporter, a position he'd held for 25+ years of lazy and uninspired writing. The reason? He accidentally tweeted that Browns owner Randy Lerner was "a pathetic figure...the most irrelevant billionaire."

I finally agree with something Tony said, but that is a lovely way to lose your job. However, this is the same hack who headed the expedition to force Mangini out of town and then blindly make excuses for the continued failures under Holmgren, so good riddance.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

seiferguy posted:

I still think the second-most insufferable fans is a tie between NY fans and Chicago Cubs fans. Boston always wins now and forever.

Cubs fans aren't bad at all. They have zero to brag about and their wining is easily understood by a Cleveland fan like myself.

My order of annoyance

1. Boston fans of any sport
2. Steelers fans
3. Yankees fans
4. Generic bandwagon "whoever is good" fan

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

R.D. Mangles posted:

You can avail yourself of this incorrect opinion by going to Wrigley Field and interacting with masses of douchey Cubs fans. Cub fans by and large* are terrible and if the Cubs ever win the world series, it is possible that we will make Boston fans look sober and rational in celebration.

*SAS Cubs fans, of course, are awesome.

Yeah maybe but they don't have any KISS DA RINGZ stuff to cram in your face like Boston or Steelers fans. It's been nearly 50 years since any Cleveland team won a title and when (if?) it happens in my lifetime I will be the most insufferably smug person on the planet.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is that the same person who poo poo on Greenberg before? I know I've read a ridiculous "this is a mockery of the sport" take on it before.

Yeah I don't see the outrage, it's basically a September callup for a lovely team. So what?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
http://www.thelantern.com/sports/the-torg-i-have-paid-the-price-and-i-want-to-be-back-on-the-air-1.2936285#.UIkS5sXA94w

quote:

Scott “The Torg” Torgerson apologized and tried to show remorse, but it was too little, too late.

Torgerson, former co-host of “The Common Man & The Torg” radio show on Columbus’ WBNS 97.1 The Fan, was fired Wednesday as a result of an Oct. 13 tweet in which he wished death on ESPN college football analyst and former Michigan football star Desmond Howard. Torgerson and his laywer, Columbus attorney Joe Edwards, said they believe the firing was unlawful and will consider legal action as well as an investigation into ESPN college football analyst Kirk Herbstreit’s potential role in the firing.

From 97.1 The Fan’s Twitter account, @971thefan, the station announced the firing, tweeting: “Scott Torgerson is no longer employed by our company as of today. We appreciate his contributions and wish him well in his future endeavors.”

In an email interview with The Lantern, Torgerson said he did not initially expect to be terminated but eventually started to “hear a few things” and began to suspect it.

On Friday, The Fan offered Torgerson the opportunity to resign “with a small severance,” but he declined, opting instead to request to be allowed back on the air at a Monday meeting.

“I would have had to sign an agreement not to ever talk about this and could not take legal action,” Torgerson said. “The other option was termination with no severance or insurance. They gave me that option Friday and gave me the weekend to think it over. I showed up Monday for our meeting and told them I want to go back on the air. They told me that wasn’t an option. I received a termination letter (Wednesday).”

From his Twitter account, @myguythetorg, Torgerson tweeted on Oct. 13: “I wish Desmond Howard would get fired or die so I can watch ‘GameDay’ again.”

Torgerson later issued an apology via Twitter, tweeting: “My Desmond Howard tweet was a joke.” He said he maintains the position that the tweet was a joke, and added that he reached out to Herbstreit and ESPN college football analysts and former OSU football player Chris Spielman to apologize.

“(Herbstreit and Spielman) work for ESPN and I am sure it wasn’t a good situation for them. I think everyone who listens or knows me knows it was a joke,” Torgerson said. “Now I have to deal with the (punishment) for my actions. I just don’t feel firing me is a way to handle it. I was employee of the quarter the Friday before. I would think being the sports director, strong ratings, and the income I have made for the station, that deserves a second chance.”

The Fan did not respond to The Lantern’s multiple requests for comment on Wednesday. Josh Krulewitz, vice president of communications for ESPN, declined to immediately respond to The Lantern’s request for comment.

Edwards, who knew Torgerson prior to the Oct. 13 tweet and was hired as counsel for the firing, agreed, saying he feels it was an unjust firing.

Edwards told The Lantern he didn’t think 97.1, which is owned by the Dispatch Media Group, “had just cause in discharging” Torgerson.

“He’s now fired. He had a job where he was doing very well, had very high ratings, was very well-liked in the Central Ohio market and now all of the sudden he doesn’t have a job. So we’re going to explore filing a lawsuit against the station and anybody else that was involved in his discharge.”

Torgerson had between a year and a year-and-a-half remaining on his agreement with The Fan, Edwards said, and part of a potential investigation of his client’s firing could involve Herbstreit.

Edwards, who emphasized that he can’t be sure if Herbstreit played any role in his client’s firing, said he could choose to investigate Herbstreit for “tortious interference,” or interfering with Torgerson’s contract.

“At some point in time, we would like to know how Scott ended up getting fired and, at some point in time, what Mr. Herbstreit said, who did he say it to and why did he say it,” Edwards said. “That’s our interest — why did 97.1 The Fan fire Scott? And I know that Kirk Herbstreit did a radio show — his radio show on 97.1 — on Oct. 15 where he went off on Scott Torgerson. And we’d like to know, you know, did he talk to anybody else at the station? Did he call any people in management? What did he say? Why did he say that?”

Torgerson said his wife, Lauren Torgerson, has been crying for days, but the couple has maintained some semblance of a sense of humor — in a nod to one of Scott Torgerson’s familiar jokes about firings, she suggested he work at a Citgo gas station for a couple of weeks.

“I may do it,” Scott Torgerson said.

In the mean time, Scott Torgerson said he appreciates the support he’s received from fans.

“Just to the listeners … Their support has been unreal. Someone created a ‘Save The Torg’ Facebook page and in 10 days it has more “likes” than the 97.1 site,” he said. “The ‘Save the Torg’ has over (8,000), (97.1 has) under 5,400. I would have to say the listeners have spoken. They want me back and I want to be back.

“I am sorry for what I did. I feel I have paid a huge price and I want to be back on air.”

If reading is hard, local radio guy makes an ill-advised tweet about Desmond Howard and then Kirk Herbstreit flexes his Buckeye muscles to get him fired. I've met Kirk before and, surprise, he was a total douche then as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Ahahah AJ McCarron owns.