Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
http://www.sptimes.com/News/webspecials/abaseballstory/

Back about 11 years ago the St. Pete Times did this really great piece following Josh Hamilton through the low Minor Leagues. For whatever reason it stuck with me all these years. It's a really good look into how lovely the Minors are and there are cameo appearances by Carl Crawford and non-prospects like Seth McClung.

sidenote, when I applied for an internship about a year ago, I wrote about this article getting me interested in the field, and one of the writers on staff of the publication I was applying to was actually a designer at the St. Pete Times when this was written. brownie points!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

morestuff posted:

Also an of/or typo, great job.

That says more about the web desk than him. He doesn't manually enter his columns into the website. But hey, that's why they're the Tribune Company.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I had a writer submit this column for the UCF sports section a week or two ago. For backstory, the starting QB Rob Calabrese has lost the starter job in three straight years and Jeff Godfrey is a young highly touted freshman.

quote:

George O’Leary is a lifelong Yankees fan. Growing up in Central Islip, New York, he became familiar with Bronx Bomber history, as does any good pinstripe-diehard in training. One particular bit of New York baseball trivia mirrors the quarterback situation O’Leary is about to encounter as he enters the 2010 season.

Enter the classic Yankee tale of Wally Pipp and Lou Gehrig. Pipp had been the starting first baseman in New York for ten years and on June 2, 1925, he sat out of the game with a headache. He would be replaced by the rookie Gehrig and never reclaimed his job again, as Gehrig went on to start in 2,130 consecutive games.

Rob Calabrese is Pipp: the solid, safe player. Jeffrey Godfrey is Gehrig: exciting, oozing with confidence and portraying an aura of greatness. While there is no forewarning that Calabrese will have to sit due to ailment like Pipp, it’s almost inevitable at this point that his fate will be the same.

There is literally nothing similar about these two situations. Like, at all. They both play sports with a ball, and that's about it. Also they are nearly all white people, so there's that, as well.

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 16, 2010

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
He is incredibly verbose and reads sports journalism from the 60s and thinks that sort of writing is still popular and necessary. That isn't even a particularly poorly written piece considering the other poo poo people turn into me but it's just such a desperate reach for a storyline that doesn't exist. The barebones of the situation is "lovely guy loses job to better player" which happens EVERY SINGLE DAY in sports. The sad thing is I still had to publish it because the other column that was submitted was about "wanting it more" or some poo poo. College journalism is the loving worst.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
the most irrelevant article in the history of sports

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_bianchi/2010/09/peyton-manning-eli-manning-colts-giants-gators.html

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

zakharov posted:

Everyone leaves the field but Wally…he starts to trot in towards Howie…

He takes off his ’86 jersey…and he has another one on under it…but it’s #25?

YESSSS THE METS' HEEL TURN

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
College journalism, baby!

quote:

Connor Arendell has been a winner wherever he has gone whether its playing in national tournaments or for his school teams he just seems to succeed wherever he goes.

(that's the lede)

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Yeah I'm fairly sure no sports radio hosts actually believe what they're saying. It would be really hard to fill a radio show with well thought-out arguments for an hour a day every weekday of the year. You kind of have to delve into the "This dude doesn't have it" mindset.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Don't even bother clicking this but http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/twocents/content/cy-young-voters-got-it-wrong ---

quote:

"It means, essentially, that win-loss record is no factor."

b
i
n
g
loving
o

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
My roommate had lunch with Jemele Hill today, who sucks, but she said that Skip Bayless is not acting and legitimately believes everything he says.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I know this is super douchey and gbs-y but I trolled my employers' computer archives today and found a database of phone numbers for almost everyone in sports. Really the only number I'm interested in is Peter King's cell phone number, and I may or may not be texting lovely FWD: FWD: FWD: RE: RE: RE: RE: FUNNY PIC messages to him for the next hour.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I didn't/wouldn't do that, I am not from gbs. But this list has Mel Kiper and I do want to text him and just start a convo and see if he replies.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Listen I know this is the same story Reilly has been writing for 20 years but I thought it was cute. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6170690

:siren:ALSO:siren:
As I've said before, I'm an editor at my college paper and have seen some horrors of student journalism. I want to share the worst thing I've ever seen. It's not sports related but I don't care. It's about UCF potentially removing the arboretum to add more buildings. Which is awesome.

I will highlight the ending:

quote:

Let the Arboretum perish, and UCF will no longer stand for opportunity. Let the Arboretum perish, and UCF will stand for hypocrisy.
I think it's time we stop. Knights, what's that sound? What's going down? The environmental education center at the UCF Arboretum.
Timber.
For what it's worth: be conscious, my friends. Be conscious.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Deathlove posted:

Let's talk more about Jeff Pearlman and how terrible he is at reporting. http://www.jeffpearlman.com/albert-pujols-and-the-treatment-of-people/

ALBERT PUJOLS IGNORES PEOPLE WHILE HE PREPARES TO BE THE BEST IN THE WORLD AT SOMETHING, A BLOO BLOO BLOO.

Gerald LAIRD signs for people!

I don't think this is an incorrect opinion to have. He is slightly unnerved that Pujols is, by all means, kind of a dick to the fans. I can understand. It is not difficult to acknowledge fans and be friendly.

Not excusing Pearlman from sucking in other regards I just don't think this one's bad.

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 4, 2011

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

stuart scott irl posted:

I hate the "CHARITY DOESN'T MEAN HE'S A NICE GUY!!!" bits for implying that being nice to fans is more important than donating thousands of dollars to worthy causes.

I mean the real attack here by Pearlman if he's gonna go that route should have been "Pujols didn't give two fucks about charity till his daughter was born" but that's pretty much the case for everyone.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Fredette about it!!!!!

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

quote:

This has happened—but not as often as the fan thinks. As a matter of fact, if a superior player continues to play superior ball and does not let-discouragement or ennui set in, the chances are good that the franchise as a whole will begin to pick itself up and edge toward the pennant. Then, the addition of only one or two catalytic ballplayers, and suddenly there's a pennant.

holy poo poo

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Bigass Moth posted:

It's almost as if he's saying that Babe Ruth won more titles because he played with better supporting talent than Ty Cobb. That would be a logical opinion though.

ummmm hello if a superior player continues to play superior ball and does not let-discouragement or ennui set in, the chances are good that the franchise as a whole will begin to pick itself up and edge toward the pennant.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

caucasians write better columns in my opinion

what its just my opinion

the black community has not been represented very well by the black column writers tbh. whitlock, jemele hill and co are either complete idiots or use "black" as their gimmick.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
My old college professor, Lynn Hoppes, took over Page2 a couple of years ago and it's slowly died under him. It gets almost no front-page coverage outside of TMQ anymore.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
There are a few other sports journalists here, right? Has this profession made you hate sports as much as it has to me? When I started college I was this huge superfan homer and then I realized that everyone who goes to college for journalism is just doing it so they can watch their favorite teams in a press box and eat free food. Totally turned me off. I had some coworkers who got ejected from the press box for yelling at UCF's own players in anger. I enjoy writing about sports, but it's really hard for me to muster up any passion for sports anymore.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

morestuff posted:

I used to work as an assistant sports editor at a couple of places. I definitely got tired of working on, and talking about, the same poo poo day in and day out.

Are you still in school? Most professional sportswriters I've worked with have some level of detachment.

I'm in grad school, but yeah I've interned at a few places and the sports writers (Mike Bianchi aside) are usually fairly normal and aren't big fans.

College-level newspaper writers are just terrible, though. It's bad enough that my school produced 10th-grade caliber writers, but every single writer was just there so they could meet their favorite athlete and tell them how awesome they are and fellate then via text.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I don't even think the Latin America quote is bad. Do you think it's easy for most Latin American players to learn to fluently speak a second language while playing baseball year round? Some orgs, like the Mets, have academies and mandatory language classes, but I imagine many don't.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I think it's in the context that Latin American ballplayers are a difficult sell to the media because they historically speak poor English. And yet even though Bautista does speak clear English, he's not charismatic enough and not "American enough" to appeal to the common fan.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Lynn Hoppes used to be my professor and he was really pompous and rubbed me the wrong way, and even though after he got the ESPN gig he blew tons of their money on me and some friends at a convention one time, he still struck me as a bit of a creep.

I knew he was fairly hated around the Deadspin circle but they linked to this piece he wrote, and wow. http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=4892536

Edit: why the gently caress is this a story ugh

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 3, 2011

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

kaworu posted:

Anyway, there are no words for that pizza article. I really can't quite figure out if it's him showing off about having a conversation with the Papa John's founder, like "Hey I'm pretty cool the OWNER OF PAPA JOHNS gives me pizza slices :smug:" or if it's a thinly veiled advertisement for Papa Johns. I think it's the former, because it seems to be in keeping with his whole "Hey look at how cool and hip I am with my long hair!" thing.

he bought a bunch of us dinner one time and put it on the ESPN black card in this really haughty way. Like if any normal person were in that situation, they'd politely slip the company card to the waiter and not say anything more, but this dude was so blatant about it and was like "Hey waiter, bring me one of everything.... ESPN is paying :smug:"

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

GoutPatrol posted:

But this is the first thing I have ever seen/read that successfully taught me the how cricket works.

that, and it's the first time I've heard someone admit in a public forum that cricket does indeed suck. I thought that piece was really funny, especially their initial shock to what the hell is happening.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Deathlove posted:

And that's why Zambrano is the best pitcher in the world.

Finally got our first :stare: out of Grantland: http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6708682/the-math-problem

You can't underestimate intangibles, everyone!

I hate this. The car analogy is so flimsy and I am so tired of people trying to compare basketball to baseball in terms of sabermetrics.

This paragraph loving sucks:

quote:

If that little kid were around today, he'd be obsessed with sabermetrics. He'd almost certainly win his fantasy league, but he'd miss the point of the game. Sure, he wouldn't have squandered center field on Rowand, but he also wouldn't have started Barea or bet on the Mavs. His car would have way too much horsepower and lovely seats.

This is essentially a mature version of the "You nerds play with your numbers in the basemen while I'm outside, getting dirty, having fun."

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Reilly was a very good long-form feature writer back in the 80s for SI.

Stuff like this makes you look at stuff he does now and just cringe.

And he was creative and did stories like this. He was innovative before Bill Simmons innovated new sports writing, for better or for worse. Reilly inspired a lot of prose-ridden hacks like Plaschke, and Simmons inspired BleacherReport.

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jul 1, 2011

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't know, I've started those pieces and he gets into a bunch of his awful hackneyed similes and I can't get through them. Reilly is completely worthless. I think that Reilly benefited from a relative lack of decent writing about sports and his inspirational/shame on you/dad humor somehow convinced people that he was a good writer.

What's so bad about similes? He overuses them now and they're part of his schtick but in the pieces we linked to they're fine. I think you're getting too angry over nothing.

That Marge Schott story - which I had no idea existed, holy poo poo she was nuts - was well researched, extremely well sourced and had good bookends. That simile about the Rolex convention was really enough to convince you he's worthless? It's a literary device. I don't mean to get all "GET OUT OF YOUR PARENTS BASEMENT, NERD," but a lot of people like their writers to include color in their stories, rather than fact - quote - fact - quote.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
well then I guess there is that.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

quote:

NEW YORK -- On the eve of Derek Jeter's return to pursue DJ3K,

gently caress you.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
This Jeter thing sucks is because the ESPN coverage is AS PREVALENT AS A PICKPOCKET AT A ROLEX CONVENTION.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I hate three things about this.

One, that story was nowhere near as good as it could have/should have been.

Two, that struck me, too, as a bunch of "imagined" quotes.

Three, god dammit Deadspin stop loving caring so much, you petty bitches.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6846531/tim-tebow-not-ready-prime-time

First goddamn paragraph, guess who

quote:

The irony is not lost on the city of Denver that John Elway is judging a QB controversy between Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow. This is like Heidi Klum judging a bikini contest at a fat farm.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I think ESPN doesn't want to give too much attention to the story at this point because Yahoo completely scooped them in every regard. Once the violations are given, ESPN will go back into "run this poo poo into the ground" mode because Yahoo's reporting will no longer be the biggest part of the story.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
What's the story behind Stu Scott and Daulerio?

Nevermind, I just found it. He literally looked over his shoulder and read his text message and made a giant assumption about what it pertained to. Wow.

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 26, 2011

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
The only thing that would have singlehandedly saved the Rays season is if they played in the AL Central.

Simmons just does not get this argument. Thought process goes as follows:

Simmons:
He's batting .351/.439/.634 through 130 at-bats!
Why wasn't he playing all year?
If he played all year like that, the Rays would be in first.
Yeah, I know he probably would have regressed a little, but still.
The Rays would be in first.

Keri:
what, no

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Local MN sports writer Jim Souhan is horrible and I generally try my best to not read him, but I had to with the title of his most recent blog

He's one of the big reasons there are so many stupid sports fans in MN.

Honestly does this guy not watch baseball? Except for the playoffs I have never seen a completely stoic bench from the losing side. How he thinks that's even a thing is loving remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
dane cook would work but his only knowledge of baseball is how many octobers there are.