Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/sabermetrics-moneyball-stat-geeks-are-ruining-sports-092211 Goodnight, folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Oh rats I did a link search and it hadn't been linked to

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Schur's article itself was kind of "eh" for me until I read the footnotes

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Does anyone know what relationship Frangraphs has with ESPN (is it just a content-sharing deal?) and do you know when it began? It's a point I'm trying to make in an essay for class but can't find any press releases announcing the deal.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

trem_two posted:

http://www.ussmariner.com/2010/03/01/fangraphs-on-espn/

Not a ton of info on their relationship, but maybe it'll help.

Thanks. I guess "early 2010" works for textual reference.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
momentum

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

No Safe Word posted:

Cross-posted from the gif thread, but I just don't get why anybody would bother putting these words on paper even for an op-ed piece:

City of Atlanta doesn't deserve win

I guess Rob Parker's job is to be ESPN NY's crazy militant homer guy?

if he's going strictly by attendance to prove his point, how are miami and tampa not by far the worst? The Braves were in the upper 50th percentile in both years shown and it was important enough in his story to get the lead photo caption.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I still contend that Bayless is pretty funny when you realize it's intentional trolling. I don't know who in SAS goes to loving First Take for serious, well thought-out sports discussion, so I think it's hilarious that his schtick works up so many sports-radio listeners.

And honestly if Joe Pos was on First Take the entire reaction of the viewing audience would be, "Well, yes, that makes sense." No furor, no reader reaction, no website comments - this discussion on this Internet message board doesn't even happen.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Groucho Marxist posted:

yeah but then something like this happens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl26EU2zkH0

"i take a little pride that he came from a white mother"

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I was a sports editor for my college paper in undergrad and had a few sports-related internships and it really sucks the fun out of sports. It detaches you so much from the fandom that got you interested in sports in the first place that I would much rather cover high school sports for the rest of my life and be able to retain the interest I have in professional teams.

Sports journalism just isn't worth the hassle. You stick to the old ways, you're a dinosaur. You adapt to the new ways, you lose your social life. gently caress that.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I guarantee someone involved in that decision was like, "Yeah... But only a racist would construe that as racist! It's a figure of speech - he just happens to be Chinese!"

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
There's a pretty good piece about Stephen A in the ESPN book that basically said that ESPN asked him to create a black persona and be over-the-top about race, and then when he did that, ESPN told him that he was too black and that they were no longer comfortable with him being featured so prominently.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
There are bits that are interesting but I thought it was too long and went into too much depth about mergers, acquisitions, MNF/SNF, etc. The best nuggets are from disgruntled commentators who don't really care what ESPN The Brand thinks about their comments. Stephen A was candid, anything about Olbermann was great, and the parts about the culture at early ESPN being incredibly sexist (and also basically one giant orgy) were interesting.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

R.D. Mangles posted:

My favorite baseball player in the whole world, Slammin' Sammy Fuld, has a great article on Game 162 from the Rays' perspective. Not a lot of articles by baseball players that make explicit references to win expectancy tables.

That is wonderful.

If only because JP Howell greets people with "What it do?"

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Groucho Marxist posted:

Wait why does ESPN have a music section

The same reason Lynn Hoppes has a job with ESPN. A small subset of people for whatever reason go to ESPN for entertainment news.

Hoppes, by the way, is my old professor and author of literally the most shameless piece of poo poo assemblage of words in the history of ESPN.

Seriously, just flip through this guy's article history on ESPN. It's incredible that's hes paid.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=7126005

like, what the gently caress is this, lynn

how does this possibly warrant coverage? the amount of clicks on these stories can not possibly justify ESPN actually paying someone to write them.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Good, now I can don't have to renew https://www.firelynnhoppes.com

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7829016/boston-red-sox-swoon-product-sustained-mlb-success

noted alarmist Howard Bryant clearly understands sample size. even if the basic point of the article is true - teams inevitably rebuild - it's a kneejerk piece coming off the heels of what he thinks is an absolutely soul-crushing, team-destroying defeat to Mike Napoli

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I don't really get the deduction there. She originally pretended to be a hot girl. Then she turned out to be ... a hot girl?

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Mornacale posted:

A hot girl who scams people for thousands of dollars.

I meant in regards to the identity fabrication. That just seemed like a very unnecessary lie. I thought fake identities were mainly used if you were A) A dude pretending to be a woman, or B) An ugly guy/girl pretending to be a better-looking guy/girl.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Mornacale posted:

Well, I imagine that if I were planning to lie to and screw over several people, I'd do my best to keep them from learning the details of my identity.

You'd think she wouldn't have folded so easily then, if that were the case. She started using her real photo (or what we assume now is her real identity) really early on, according to that article, and then recently has embraced doing video work. It's just an odd about-face considering she continued on with the scam.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
This poo poo is getting a lot more bizarre. Apparently Sarah Phillips is also the owner of Condescending Wonka twitter.

http://deadspin.com/5906849/sarah-phillips-admits-she-concealed-her-identity-made-poor-choices-with-who-to-trust?popular=true

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
How do those parody accounts make any money when there's no personal advertising on Twitter yet? Are they just prepping for when it does go public?

Or I guess they could link to their websites that have ads but I don't follow any parody accounts so I dunno if they do that.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
But everyone who buys Sponsored Tweets owns a business or sells an item. NotBillWalton and all those just post stupid jokes all day. What's the money-making item? Am I missing something here and being naive?

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I didn't know people still hated Bill Simmons. I thought we had come full circle on him. He's good at his job, doesn't try to reach outside his homerism niche and is responsible for Grantland, which I really like. Of all the ESPN columnists he takes himself the least seriously and generally speaks for the reactionary passionate casual fan. He's also a self-aware Boston fan, which is nice, and he's come around to sabermetrics recently so he's not spouting off bullshit about hustle and Kevin Millar and cowboy up anymore. He's harmless, and the worst thing he ever did was that 30 for 30 about the 04 ALCS.

The lack of a background check makes sense with Phillips only in that I can 100% understand a scenario where Lynn Hoppes really needed an attractive woman who was an at least halfway-competent writer and he struck gold and pulled the trigger. In such a backwoods niche bullshit corner of ESPN, I think the guy has free rein to be his pervy, action-figure obsessed self with little influence or double-checking from the higher ups.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
My paper just laid off two more last week, too. I don't even think we have a sports copy editor anymore. I'm surprised more stuff like that Celtics headline hasn't happened, to be honest.

Oh, and I can't wait to see reporters copy edit their own articles. That'll be fuckin fun.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

BackInTheUSSR, what's the circulation of your paper? Daily, or something else?

It's a daily, I think we're somewhere around 35-40K.

And here is the newsroom yesterday, of which only like 40% is actually in use. And still I was the only person there. Nobody even bothers to show up until like 3 p.m. lately.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
Jonah Keri has fallen way too hard into Rays fandom to be taken seriously as a journalist but I guess it's good that the only journalism he does now is Power Rankings on Grantland.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
That's kind of weird since it's the last really untapped market. I thought that ESPN the Magazine College Edition they used to make was going to be huge but that floundered too. I guess people who are into high school sports really only want to read about it on the hyperlocal level. "Texas Forever" and all that poo poo.

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 14, 2012

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
The only pressing concern that deadspin article left me with was why the gently caress did deadspin want Mariotti in the first place? A universally despised commentator in his downward spiral was sought out by an up-and-coming media mogul to play the role of the disgraced-but-reforming good guy down on his luck? What the gently caress?

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
When I used to be an editor for my college paper, I was covering the Capital One Bowl in Orlando and it was the year that there was an absolute downpour and the field turned to mud immediately. Erin was down on the field the whole game getting soaking wet and after it ended she happened to file into the same elevator as me. This guy in the elevator turns to the douchey radio guy next to me and says some smalltalk intro like, "Hell of a rain we're getting, huh?" and the douchey radio guy motions towards Erin and says, "At least we weren't down there on the field." Erin turns around, stares him in the eye for three seconds but seemed like 30, and said, in the coldest voice I've ever heard, "Everybody's a loving comedian, aren't they?" and right on cue exited stage left. It was the most incredibly timed, most badass exchange I'd ever witnessed.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Crion posted:

I haven't read the piece since it came out but I don't remember anything especially misogynist about it outside of the site allowing itself to be used as a negotiating flack because of something they did previously which was

I think maybe he is referring to the slut-shaming of when Daulerio posted the video of the girl being raped in the stadium bathroom stall.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
from GQ.

quote:

Perhaps Daulerio's darkest moment came last spring, when he posted a video of an obviously drunk college girl having sex in a bathroom stall at a sports bar in Bloomington, Indiana. At the time, he was thinking of it as part of a series on fans having sex in bathrooms. (In the fall of 2009, he'd posted a clip of a couple getting it on in a stall at the new Cowboys Stadium.) On May 11, a few days after the video went up, Daulerio received an e-mail from a woman imploring him to take it down. "I know the people in it and it is extreemly [sic] hurtful. please, this is completely unfair," she wrote. In separate responses, both Daulerio and Darbyshire, the Gawker lawyer, refused to comply. "Best advice I can give you right now: do not make a big deal out of this because, as you can tell, the footage is blurry and you are not identified by name," Daulerio wrote, assuming the e-mailer was the girl herself.

For the rest of the afternoon, Daulerio and the woman traded five e-mails. Finally, before handing the matter off to Darbyshire, Daulerio wrote, "It's not getting taken down. I've said that. And it's not a very serious matter. It is a dumb mistake you (or whomever) made while drunk in college. Happens to the best of us."

someone later stated that she was passed out and being raped so essentially Daulerio excused being raped as "a dumb mistake"

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 4, 2012

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

If she was being raped then the dude in the video should've been arrested for rape, which obviously did not happen.

i def didn't watch the video but i can't imagine he'd be that easily identifiable

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

AsInHowe posted:

Of course, his next post really gets to the heart of Erin Andrews being a terrible journalist, by being an attractive woman. Here's the actual post, the contents (and headline) of which are not an added-on joke:

Truly breathtaking levels of sexism. Hard to believe it took him three pieces to call pretty women bitches, indirectly.

I went to college with Laura and it really upsets me to know that she's about to get poo poo on by a bunch of old men simply because she's a pretty girl who is successful.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I know from the half-dozen Paterno book reviews I've read that it's mostly a mixed bag - not adding much to the conversation, not bringing much new about the guy to light - but does anyone here have anything to add?

I really like Pos and want to support him but $30 is a lot of money for a book that barely scratches the only topic anyone wants to read about.

BackInTheUSSR fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 23, 2012

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

The Prisoner posted:

What ESPN ought to be doing is hiring people who are legitimately entertaining and likable to helm Sportscenter, as their subsidiary north of the border seems to have done. Many of my Canadian friends watch TSN's Sportscentre for Jay Onrait and Dan O'Toole antics as much as they do for the news and highlights. The distinction here is that Onrait and O'Toole are light-hearted and enjoyable guys who don't take themselves or their roles too seriously - which may or may not be inherent to TSN's less dominant position over Canadian sports media versus ESPN's over the US' combined with the fact their timeslot is later at night.

In the ESPN oral history book that came out a couple years ago they go into why this isn't the case on ESPN anymore. The brass, at a certain point, got wary about creating personalities rather than news anchors, and the Eisens/Scotts/Olbermanns of the network were growing big enough as "names" that they could demand superstar-level salaries.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Craptacular! posted:

Part of the reason America isn't interested in hockey is that ESPN fails to inform them of anything exciting about it.

This is the longest-running debate in mass-media academic theory and it is really above you to pretend like you know the answer to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE

Dusseldorf posted:

Presumably he's referring to whether or not the media generates popularity or whether it's simply responding to it. I would assume this is a nature vs. nurture type thing that the only people who argue the tail doesn't wag the dog at least a bit are purely being provocative. That said I'm not sure what's wrong with what Craptacular said as it was a super weekly worded statement.

I think I sounded way more douchey than I was trying in that reply. Sorry bout that, wasn't my intention.

Agenda-setting theory is cited in nearly every academic article ever written about mass media, and there is really no consensus on whether the media dictates popular culture or if popular culture dictates media coverage in a one-to-one setting. Obviously the two are interconnected, since media and culture do not exist in bubbles separate from each other, but I think - and a lot of academics in the field will agree - that it is probably a little more slanted toward culture->coverage, rather than the inverse (and a lot of that comes from the economic failures of certain types of news coverages, which has helped disprove the media's old "Hypodermic Needle" theory). But it is really taking a lot of liberties to say that hockey isn't popular because ESPN doesn't cover the interesting parts of it. ESPN doesn't really cover the exciting parts of soccer very much and the sport has seen a huge popularity surge in the last decade.