Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Who just loves lovely Philly sports journalism? Have some, free of charge!

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/101449839.html

Bob Ford posted:

Bob Ford: McNabb plays blame game best

All these years, I thought GQ stood for Gentleman's Quarterly, but when the magazine came out with its exclusive, wide-ranging interview with Donovan McNabb this week, it's obvious the initials stand for Gone Qwazy.

Because that's where McNabb has gone. Not Washington, D.C., or Landover, Md. But Qwazy, USA, Zip code 55555.

McNabb said some things in the article that were dumb. He said some things that were insulting. And he said some things that were downright bonkers. This is not a particular surprise. McNabb was good for any of the three on a given day during his time as quarterback of the Eagles.

This interview, however, is like his Greatest Hits, a compendium of his best rationalizations from more than a decade. He should get K-tel Records to put it on a CD and sell it as an infomercial. Operators are standing by for your call, and they didn't throw up in the Super Bowl, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

stuart scott irl posted:

Dom Amore re: Cy Young award

Reasons Steve Carlton should have won the Cy Young Award:

WINS

Things that seem related to winning the Cy Young Award but totally aren't!:

50 more IP than any other pitcher in the league
310 K, more than 60 more than any other pitcher in the league
Allowed less runs than walks, yet led the league in K:BB
8 Shutouts
Adding Up The BBR WARs, he was almost more valuable than the 2nd, 3rd, 4th place pitchers combined (Bob Gibson had 2nd highest WAR of vote recipients, but was in 9th place).
8 CG Shutouts with 30 CGs (hilariously did not lead the league in shut outs, only 7CG ahead of 2nd place)

Clearly it should be named the Old Hoss Radbourn Award For Best Season of Wins For A Pitcher in honor of his baseball-leading 59 wins in a single season. Hilariously he misses out on CG and IP by 2 each to some guy named Will White in 1879.

Old Hoss himself agrees with me.

@OldHossRadbourn posted:

Of course wins matter! And pitchers entirely control winning! This is why I personally scored and drove in all of the runs when I pitched.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Badfinger posted:

Clearly it should be named the Old Hoss Radbourn Award For Best Season of Wins For A Pitcher in honor of his baseball-leading 59 wins in a single season. Hilariously he misses out on CG and IP by 2 each to some guy named Will White in 1879.

seiferguy posted:

Cy Young should really be the Old Hoss Radbourn award. I'd like to see anyone today pitch 678 innings in one season :colbert:

Sup OHR budy. :hfive:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Captain Charisma posted:

Also

Identify player who having an uncharacteristically good or bad season

Cite BABIP, LD% and some other things.

Say they will regress

:smug: I am a baseball genius :smug:

woof! woof! woof! woof!

:colbert: Excuse me, that's totally wrong.

You forgot sample size.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

zakharov posted:

The comments on an article about gay couples wanting to be on the Cardinals' kiss cam are truly stunning.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/article_c97e027b-d897-5fa4-88fc-40b014719810.html?mode=comments

QUEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have actually thought about this before at the ballpark. I think the main difficulty is that unless they are already making out, which defeats the point of the kiss cam!, is that basically it's harder to tell if you are going to put your camera on a gay couple or two dudes hanging out at a baseball game.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Captain Charisma posted:

Solution: Get rid of all the retarded between innings jumbotron horseshit

You would deprive a man of his BONGO CAM?!

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I can't quite point out the way that article is stupid, but I know it is.

It has intangible stupidity.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

leokitty posted:

Because Adam Dunn isn't near the end of his career. He hasn't even put in 10 years of service time. It's pretty goofy to write an article like that when the only possible conclusion is ~time will tell~.

Oh yeah, I know.

To be honest, reading that I thought "Who is a current hall of famer that consistently hit 35-40 home runs and got on base at a pretty high clip?" and my answer was Hank Aaron.

I don't actually think that's a good comp for Dunn, but consistent high power with consistent high on base percentage is pretty loving valuable and Dunn's good at it. His hitter profile hasn't particularly changed since he was 23 years old.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Valdez might make Rollins expendable

quote:

The question that no one wants to ask: Does it have to be Jayson Werth who leaves, and not Jimmy Rollins?

Yes, because Rollins is not going to try to sign a new contract at 15m AAV when his FA value has never been higher.

Way to become so enamored with an awful hitter who plays pretty good defense that you'd want to replace one of the league's better and most durable (outside of this year) shortstops. Way to use the argument that Rollins is old, and suggest replacing him with a player THAT IS OLDER.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

stuart scott irl posted:

I thought you were talking about Rollins :v:

Seriously though, the way Philly fandom latches on to replacement level players and becomes obsessed with their "contributions" is loving maddening. Everyone loving LOVES Valdez right now.

I'm not pretending Rollins is a wonderful hitter, but compared to Valdez he's a much better hitter and he plays much better defense. He just hasn't twirled around turning double plays much.

Shortstop's some kind of awful offensive black hole this year. There are 22 shortstops that qualify for the batting title. Tulo's amazing, Hanley's very good, Drew is good, everyone else starts the slippery slide down to Ceasar Izturis and his .555 OPS. Rollins is having a cruddy year but he's still about Jeter's level, and that's a top 10 shortstop this year. His career OPS is .764, his OPS the last 3 years is .738. I would honestly take that in 600 PAs from a shortstop right now.

(Just not hitting leadoff. If Rollins hit 7th I wouldn't complain much about him.)

Vvvv It's not his fault! Uncle Cholly, you don't have to bat your worst leadoff hitter leadoff. It is not written in his goddamn contract.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 24, 2010

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Captain Charisma posted:

I think every fanbase does this, though. It took months of sub-replacement hitting and my constant bitching to convince my dad that Francisco Cervelli has no business being on a major league team.

Pretty sure that right at the moment, Wilson Valdez is more popular among the media than Chase Utley.

Chase "Permanent Reverse Racism" Utley.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Do blogs by well known stupid people count as Sports Journalism?

Here's a piece by Will Carroll that starts off mentioning that Roy Halladay doesn't know what his xFIP is, so advanced statisticians don't know how to tell stories... or something?

http://presscoverage.us/soapbox/the-geek-shall-inherit-on-baseball-bill-james-storytelling-the-simpsons/

Will Carroll posted:

Statheads will never let a good story get in the way of a fact, a decimal place, or a holier-than-thou snark. Don’t know how to do a multivariate regression or a pivot table in Excel? Heathen. They’d certainly never let a good game get in the way of their viewpoint. Put up against Joe Morgan, ex-players, and an entrenched viewpoint ripe to be questioned, statheads might have figured out the right algorithms, but they never figured out the right formula for capturing anyone’s attention. I’m sure some out there – a small, rounding-error kind of niche – like their baseball on an 8-bit platter but most are captured by stories. The statheads never had one.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

chutwig posted:

Confession time: I don't know much about Excel and certainly don't know how to do a multivariate regression. :(

The only thing I understand in this sentence is :(

Is Sabermetrics right for me?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Okposolypse posted:

I didn't find that article to be so bad. Yeah, its basically telling fans to not read into stats cause its a waste of time, but its focus is on the idea that as fans we should focus on the story, as players they should focus on creating the story, and as journalists we should focus on telling it. The stats behind it all are the GM's job. I disagree, I think understanding the stats makes for a more informed fan, but its not straight up saying its all BS.

Though I am also much more optimistic.

If the point of the article was that people that are into stats sometimes aren't great writers and people that are very good writers don't understand stats then it'd be spot on. If it was something along the lines of "This is a blueprint for how to make stats mainstream!" that'd be pretty cool.

But it doesn't actually have a point. He never manages to finish a thought and the only thing that comes across is spite.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Okposolypse posted:

Oh its definitely horribly written, but beneath the meandering thought it didn't offend me as much as some other articles would have beyond the fact that essays I've written an hour before class are better and more coherent than that.

It doesn't need to be wrong about sports to be horribly written sports journalism.

It's ironic that the whole "can't tell stories thing" is kind of living in his article.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Here's the article he's talking about.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=10101

So it's a mainstream broadcaster- he is on ESPN - talking about first pitch strikes. This is not an obscure stat. It gets brought up on basically every broadcast. True it doesn't generally get tracked over the course of a season in the broadcasts, but everyone pays attention to it. SO, not a sabermetric stat. All you need is time enough to watch the ballgames and the ability to do division. Then it sparks both a good story, by a guy who's done a good job telling it, and musings on how sabermetric stats can be more properly introduced into the mainstream without being 1) overwhelming and 2) smug as hell.

In conclusion, Will Carroll is a fat stupid rear end in a top hat.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Where'd he steal the comedy bit from again? I remember it being from somewhere I recognize.

vvv Oh that's right MGoBlog.com. That's a pretty well recognized fan site.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 15, 2010

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Crazy Ted posted:

Tim Keown: STEP ON UP!

Let's just be clear, that Black Ops commercial loving owns.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

seiferguy posted:

Chase Utley and Dom Brown for Matt Kemp would probably be the greatest trade ever.

If it wasn't ~My Chase~, I would desperately want that trade to happen.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
His national sports reporting kind of sucks, but it sucks in an entertaining way.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Oh hey guys, just passing through. Gonna leave this here on my way out don't mind me.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/14385897/yanks-cut-drama-and-give-jeter-what-he-wants

What. A real person wrote this? posted:

Yanks, cut drama and give Jeter fair offer for an icon

Derek Jeter held hostage, Day 40. ...

The bruised and battered captive, er, Captain, is brought into the plush Yankees offices in Tampa, Fla. It is Tuesday. It is time for another whipping. The Yankees brass is ready to get down to brass tacks. Maybe this time they'll tell the shortstop he can keep the $100 bills they routinely lose under the leather sofa cushions to supplement his dramatic cut in pay.

Derek Jeter has become the face and the voice of the New York Yankees and wants to keep getting paid like it. (Getty Images)
Jeter, dazed, dehydrated and blindfolded, is wearing a Movado watch, but it's old and the glass on its face is smashed. He's unshaven, as it's been weeks since his Gillette endorsement has allowed a new supply of razors.

He is wearing his Nikes. But they are, gasp, LAST YEAR'S model!

Gingerly, general manager Brian Cashman offers a Gatorade-soaked sponge and allows Jeter three or four licks at it. Endorsements are drying up more rapidly than the parched Jeter's tongue. In the background, Hank Steinbrenner is cackling, something about "Let him eat cake, hahaha ... hahaha ... HAHAHAHA!"

Jeter remembers the time he danced in that Visa commercial with Hank's Old Man. Those were good days. "If only he were still alive," the Captive Captain thinks. "Then none of this would be happening. ...

Thanks, laters.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
That is a very good article. I didn't know they had Smoltz following the games on At Bat during a broadcast. If he was actually keeping up that's very cool, because that's exactly how a lot of us on the forum are also following the games. TV on, laptop open to mlb.tv, twitter on the phone. Even if it's just a product placement for both At Bat and the iPad, I definitely got that connection the way the author described it.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I'm sorry Visual C# Express but you have just never been dominant. You can never make the Hall of Fame. :smith:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

stuart scott irl posted:

Here are some writer opinions on Brett Favre's punishment from the new ESPNw -- ESPN for women!!!!

I am breaking from the herd here, but I do believe that they should have made a decision far earlier on Brett Favre than they did. Plus the punishment doesn't jive with the findings. The crime was... nothing? No conclusive evidence or however it was worded. FINE OF 50 GRAND! It's probably a worse outcome than not punishing him at all. At least they would be consistent between ruling and outcome.

The editorializing about LOL SHOW HER YOUR DONG is dumb but I do feel like if the league could have completely covered it up they would have.

e: Philly fans are dumb, water still wet. :(

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 12, 2011

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

SAS > everyone, shut down the sports industry

conversely, i feel bad for the intern that had to search the internet for bad deadspin publicity.

Not even bad publicity about deadspin in general. Just poo poo about lovely AJ Daulerio.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

quick someone cash in on their kyoon griffey jr cock pictures

DEADSPIN: MORE CORRUPT THAN ESPN?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

jeffersonlives posted:

Just give his number to Daltos and let the hilarity ensue.

WHY DO YOU HAVE SKILL POSITION PLAYERS ABOVE MY PRECIOUS LINEMEN?

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Kim Jong Il posted:

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/files/newsstand/discussion/the_big_lead_espn_has_three_finalists_to_replace_rob_neyer/

The Big Lead says ESPN is looking at Sheehan, Calcaterra, and Keri.

Hope it's #3 because gently caress Sheehan, and Calcaterra already has the equivalent forum.

Oh yeah, guess we didn't discuss all the new BP hires either.

Unless there's some kind of perk that is just outrageous, I couldn't imagine Craig Calcaterra moving from HBT. He has basically free run to say whatever he wants and exactly how he feels. The reason I enjoy reading him so much is he has license to be critical and he uses it where appropriate.

And Jonah Keri JUST started writing for Fangraphs. Not that it's the same level in any way, but would he be permitted to write for two sites? He doesn't seem like a guy to buck a commitment. He still likes the Expos for god's sake.

vvv He makes it so some of their articles are readable!

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 7, 2011

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Deathlove posted:

Katie Baker: http://deadspin.com/people/katiebakes/posts/

I don't know if people consider it "good" writing or not, but I really enjoyed the top article there "I was Teenage Hockey Message Board Jailbait". Here's hoping it turns out well for her.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Was this worth the time?? I remember starting it but stopping because I knew I didn't have the time to finish it on my lunch.

I enjoyed it, so I guess it was worth my time? Not sure what other qualifier you're looking for. :confused:

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
gently caress, Pearlman went to University of Delaware? :suicide:

Please do not think he is representative of the education you can receive at that fine institution.

Also that's pretty loving insulting to suggest the basketball team's mandatory slutting around. I know that being a big-sport varsity player is license to pimp, but jesus.

No one should ever say "lil' somethin' somethin" ever.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
HOW DARE A MAN REPLACE HEART AND HUSTLE WITH QUALITATIVE ANALYSIS OF THINGS THAT MAY ACTUALLY MATTER.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Politicalrancor posted:

I'm nearly as suave as you are. Also I really do not possess the wherewithal to talk on the phone to a University of Delaware grad.

Hey man you want to talk on the phone, you just have to ask. You don't have to dance around the issue.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Crazy Ted posted:

Would 'fuckheads' work?

This is Delaware, not New Jersey.

(Chris Christie doesn't count)

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

TUS posted:

Is there a rivalry between Philly/Boson in either Basketball or Hockey? "Hey, Bruins and Flyers hate each other, why can't the Red Sox and Phillies?!"

Sort of yes, and sort of yes.

The Eastern Conference Finals where the Sixers beat the Celtics at Boston to advance to the NBA Finals is where the "Beat L.A." chant came from. The thing is that neither team has been good at the same time for about the past 25 years.

The Flyers and Bruins play in the same conference but not the same division. They had the epic 3-0 comeback in the playoffs last year and there's sometimes bad blood. But each team has other teams in line to be hated far, far ahead of the other. After the Rangers, Penguins, Devils, Maple Leafs, Sabres, etc I don't have the energy to hate on a team the Flyers only see a couple of times a year and every 10 in the playoffs.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

The broken bones posted:

This is great

Chass- HIDEKI MATSUI'S NICKNAME DESTROYS CITIES, KILLS THOUSANDS

Fantastic.

Chass: KEELER HIT IT WHERE THEY WERE

Chass: REMEMBER WHEN MARVIN MILLER TOLD ME TOM VERDUCCI DIDN'T VOTE FOR HIM FOR THE HALL OF FAME, SO I PUBLISHED THAT WITHOUT ASKING VERDUCCI, ONLY IT TURNED OUT THAT VERDUCCI DID VOTE FOR MILLER FOR THE HALL OF FAME? I DON'T

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 25, 2011

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
I don't like to click on lovely journalism to give more pageviews, but you can rate that article on a scale of 1 low - 5 high and it's at a 1.07 right now. You should go and rate it.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

MorningView posted:

I suppose that would have worked too.

I am pretty ok with the current thread title.

quote:

I’m pretty sure that’s what’s happening.

Journalism

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
It's like Reading Roulette except there's a bullet in every chamber.

quote:

A Sad Day At PNC Park

I was at PNC Park today. Not for the game. I had to do some remote radio work from Atria’s restaurant for TribLive radio.

It was the first time I had been that close to a Pirates game in several years and it made me sad.

It was the kind of day that I used to hope we would get for an opener and all the sights and sounds reminded me of why baseball used to be my favorite sport.

There wasn’t a day in sports that I looked forward to more than the Pirates home opener. I skipped school and went to my first one in 1960.

Everything looked the same but I knew that it was all superficial and I wondered how many of the people I saw were kidding themselves.

I saw a lot of guys my age and I wondered if they were there out of habit or if they were there pretending that these were the Pirates that they grew up with.

The longer I was there the more annoyed I became.

I left at noon and went home.

If you had told me 20 years ago that I would walk away from a home opener on a 60 degree, cloudless less day, I would have told called you crazy.

The next Home Opner I go to will the one that is played in the first season of the MLB salary cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
There is a book.

Only registered members can see post attachments!