Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Here's a helpful political cartoon that really covers the intricacies of the lockout.

Edit: The rest of his cartoons are almost as thought provoking

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Geno posted:

i know how much SAS hates Simmons but here's a great article from NYT about him

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/05/magazine/can-bill-simmons-win-the-big-one.html

Holy crap, he actually said this:

"Bill Simmons twitter posted:

I don't care if JJ Barea is from Puerto Rico, we need to put him on a dollar bill. He's an American hero.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Looking up the WARs Seattle paid 147 million to Ichiro and Boone from 2001-2011 for 73 WAR. Texas and NY paid A-Rod 252 million for 68.4 WAR.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

swizz posted:

Man, I don't read Peter King, but gently caress that dude, what a douche. That was awful.

Love this quote though

No one tell him that Stalin was born in Georgia.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FairGame posted:

Whoever the editor of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch sports section is needs to get kicked in the junk repeatedly.

In Game 4 of the NLDS, a squirrel ran across home plate after a pitch was delivered. Now "BUSCH SQUIRREL" is some sort of loving celebrity, someone created a Twitter account for it, and there is literally an article in today's P-D (a week after the incident, mind you) with "Busch Squirrel's Best Tweets"

Ugh.

People are going to bring stuffed squirrel dolls to your games for the next 15 years. Sorry.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The broken bones posted:

Here's a Tub of poo poo written by Murray Chase Jeff Passan

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=jp-passan_pujols_world_series_game_two_cardinals_102011

Pujols Displays Zero Leadership After Game 2 Loss

Is there a way for someone to actually choke to death on their words?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The broken bones posted:

A dodgers blog wrote this one and I have to share it, it's too good not to

This was written by a 40-year-old man.

A WALKING VOMIT

Did I miss some news on this or is this guy just :qq:ing because the reserve clause doesn't exist anymore?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I wanna know who shot their death load in Magic's neg hole.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

hcreight posted:

He literally thinks this is how WAR works.

Baseball needs +/-.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Frot Lesnar posted:

Can someone explain his math to me?

22-50 = 72 games so .500 would be 36-36 right?

He's saying the Red Sox are a .522 team with Ortiz and a .302 team without them. If this sample set were over 10,000 games interlaced with and without Ortiz I would be inclined to agree. It's just a meaningless sample size on something that will converge super-slow.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Do you like running? Yes? No? Whatever. Just read this piece and get back to me.

Jesus that style is unreadable. Also good job making the guy sounds like a Faulknerian idiot man-child.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Has anyone created a definitive ranking of sports mediaentertainment personalities that give them 1-10 rankings on things like insightfulness, trolling, dogwhistling or yelling ability?

Fake edit: this could be wrapped into a Around the Horn branded tabletop RPG.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Nate Silvers gonna sit in an arm chair while an ESPN executive throws heaps of money at him from one side and Skip Bayless just yells incoherent gay slurs at him from the other side. This would be a 22 minute format show.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Benne posted:

Peter King is doing an AMA http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1itqoc/i_am_peter_king_sports_illustrateds_senior_nfl/

It's going about as well as you'd expect

What's the backstory to the "lofty" jose everyone is making?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The fact that there are about 20 MLS players who make more than the league minimum salary of the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB shows where the US spends it's sports budget.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hand Knit posted:

Come on, don't leave us hanging.

Presumably he's referring to whether or not the media generates popularity or whether it's simply responding to it. I would assume this is a nature vs. nurture type thing that the only people who argue the tail doesn't wag the dog at least a bit are purely being provocative. That said I'm not sure what's wrong with what Craptacular said as it was a super weekly worded statement.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is just something I've always seemed to wonder about, but it seems like the NFL, out of all the original sports, is least concerned with it's own history. As far as they're concerned, if it was in the pre-SB era, it didn't happen. The early history of pro football in the US is actually real interesting, so this is just another thing to add to my "I hate the NFL" pile, but, hey.

Major League Baseball does this too for the pre World Series era. In both cases there was a real expansion on the competitiveness and professionalism of professional football/baseball that occurred before and through the transition. Professional football wasn't the premier football league in the US until at least the mid to late 50's. Professional football was a dirty place for ex college players to keep on playing. Super Bowl l is a decent demarcation of the "Modern Era" for professional football although the change probably happened in the 10 years before.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mornacale posted:

Anyway, colleges schools should not have sports teams.

I'm fine with situations like college baseball where there is an explicit alternative professional track.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

Speaking of....

Jesus, those 8 year olds doing the Oklahoma drill is absolutely horrifying.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

MourningView posted:

who even takes a loving pitching wedge to the driving range

You can hit a pitching wedge really far if you blade the ball.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Archo posted:

Are we gonna sit around and pretend that this isn't how news media has worked for the last 100 plus years? Or that when downsizing that money shouldn't be a priority?

There was actually a real change when companies realized that news could be profitable. For a long time companies accepted that the fourth estate was a money loser but a necessity. It wasn't until the last 30 or so years that media companies realized that the news could be the most profitable division. This change in organizational philosophy also rearranged what it meant to provide news content.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ChickenMedium posted:

I didn't even know that Hardee's was still a thing, so I guess their creepy ad is a success.

I bet picking through the letters to the editor is the best part of being the editor.

Little Turkey Burgers.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

straight up brolic posted:

it's insanely good when you get a homegrown hot take in the hot takes thread

Just like Josh Duggar got a homegrown hot...

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Badfinger posted:

Teams with over 100 wins have failed to reach the postseason on multiple occasions.

During the wild card era?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Parlett316 posted:

Are journalists in other fields the huge man babies that these weirdo bitches are? Good God it's just a constant stream of whining.

This is about ethics in sports game journalism.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

He plays for the pats, wrong sport.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

BRIC is so last decade, we're on to MINT now (mexico, indonesia, nigeria and turkey i think?)

Is Indonesia undergoing a large domestic insurgency? if so we're 4 for 4.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What's the deal in the first place with Joe House? As far as I can tell he's a degenerate gambler who can't make any good picks or even tries to claim any ability to yet makes a living (?) on picking coin flip sports bets. I'm just not sure how he's a thing.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

You could do docs about...

-Lee Murray robbing that bank
-the McCain crusade against MMA
-Jon Jones’ parade of fuckups
-Ken Shamrock’s hosed up life
-the legend of Rickson Gracie
-PrideFC
-Diaz Brothers
-Dennis Hallman’s banana hammock
-Kimbo Slice
-Rampage Jackson

The Lee Murray one is an absolute must.

Personally, I want a good 30-40 minute doc on the Joe Riggs-Nick Diaz hospital fight

A full doc about the don frye vs yoshihiro takayama fight where they only punch each other in the face.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The cumtown live reads are the only good ads

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Spoeank posted:

I drive around a ton for work and I listen to so, so many podcasts.

On 2x speed :getin:

That's mental illness

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
But do they have silver lining to suck the filth off your cock and balls

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

Has a school bus of children disappeared recently

Pizza gate but the kids are in a basement being subjected to the spiciest culinary takes.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
lol at watching a superhero movie 2k19

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
New rule in basketball, if someone dunks on you then you're allowed to stomp on their hand as hard as possible.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
How much money is in the Buzz Beamer IP?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

The ringer has a "has a problem" problem

"Are 'has a problem' themes sports pieces now underrated"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

It's not so much a beef as they are pointing out that the athletic is going to be liquidated for a quick buck by venture vultures

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The only true Ewing theory was 94 bulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

whitlock calf cramps