Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

morestuff posted:

I spent a couple years working on a few different sports desks. The younger reporters were almost always wackos whose lives revolved around sports sports SPORTS, while the older editors were uniformly awesome, funny, well-rounded people.

I'm sure some of those guys will grow out of it, but I always wondered whether it was a generational thing. Are people just more obsessive about sports now?

Bill Madden is old and loving horrible I'm not sure your theory holds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The broken bones posted:

I personally love this one: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1158635/index.htm

This is a really wonderful profile piece about a kid from South Africa who plays baseball you should all read.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Criminal Minded posted:

I'm only just now finding out that Reggie Willits isn't black

You'll forget and be surprised when someone brings it up again later.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The broken bones posted:

I thought Dick Allen was white for a long time too

I take it that was before you found out about how he was treated by the Phillies org and fans?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Gift is like the black Reggie Willits. I hope he makes the show more than anyone not named Disco Hayes.

I just checked in on him and he is playing for State College this year! He seems to be doing pretty well given his level of experience: http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ngoepe001gif

I missed him when State College was in town to play Brooklyn :(

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

I will always remember when Bill said he had given up on the Bruins, but then 2 years later when they were good he was writing about them consistently. Also the Celtics. Currently, the Red Sox.

JD Drew sucks because he's just so boring :qq:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I assume he published it because he knew full well she wasn't going to send any of that stuff over, whether they exist or not. As far as I know none of it has materialized yet, though I don't keep up.

Which, you know, makes it even worse.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Rick Reilly has also written some fantastic articles. Just like Simmons, it's a shame that he mails it in so loving much.

It feels like he writes at least one column a month about how much he hates baseball. Poor baby, being all forced to watch a sport he hates.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

You could basically say the same thing about all of the Gawker network but for whatever reason idiots still throw money at them

Most people just keep going where they've always gone. If Deadspin et al were suffering traffic wise they'd change direction but I guess people really enjoy the weekly "I was going to hook up with this totally hot [I swear] chick but then I pooped my pants!" stories.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The ESPN NY baseball section is actually the opposite of homery. They didn't actually hire anyone away from the local media.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

R.A. Dickey posted:

Sure they did. Adam Rubin (NY Daily News), Ian O'Connor (NJ Bergen Record), Wallace Matthews (NY Post)?

No, they were all already working for ESPN in various radio capacities and slid over full time. Wallace Matthews was writing for Newsday and left before he was hired for ESPN NY duties. He threw a fit about the Dolans wanting their writers to be less negative or whatever.

When they started ESPN Boston they make a big deal that they poached big names, they utterly failed to poach anyone from the local media in New York. If they even bothered to try, I guess.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Marc Carig rules and is writing more opinion pieces and you should all pay attention to him: http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2010/09/views_why_the_yankees_shouldn.html

quote:

Over Labor Day weekend, through both my Twitter feed and the reader comments on my blog, I've read lots of groaning about how the Yankees don't bunt nearly enough.
And that their lack of "small ball" ability will somehow be responsible for their undoing. And that they'll inevitably find themselves helpless in a critical playoff game against some dominant pitcher. And that they'll really be sorry when they must scrounge for runs against that dominant pitcher with a roster full of guys who can't pick out a hit-and-run from an In-N-Out.

The chatter seems amplified whenever the Yankees drop a game in which their offense stinks, or when they botch a sacrifice bunt, or when the guy botching that sacrifice bunt happens to be Brett Gardner, as was the case on Monday afternoon.
On some level, I understand the frustration. There's no denying that there's something beautiful about a squeeze play, a drag bunt, and yes, a well-executed hit and run. Except, in the case of the Yankees, the notion that there isn't enough "small ball" is absurd.

Maybe the idea of the game as a battle of attrition -- working at-bats, drawing walks, popping home runs -- isn't your ideal brand of baseball. That's fine. But the reality is that the Yankees have chosen to fashion themselves in this mold. They have assembled specific parts to build a machine that's designed to 1.) Get players on base 2.) Knock in those players with extra base hits, whether they're doubles in the gaps or home runs in the seats.

The machine works.

As of Sunday, the Yankees led the American League in on-base percentage (.352) and rank third in slugging (.445). Put those together, and it should be no surprise that the Yankees also lead the AL in runs (743) and in runs per game (5.42). Heck, it's not even close. In fact, they are the only team in all of baseball to average more than five runs a game.

An offense's job is to score runs and the Yankees offense scores a ton of them.

He talks a lot about how people who want more bunts are silly.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

They took it down now, but someone posted a whole thing on the ESPN rumor mill ruminating on whether the Phillies would pick up Rollins' 2011 option, apparently unaware that they already did that in January.

For whatever reason that reminds me of this:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The broken bones posted:

Who was the old school writer dude who wrote the "vorp blorp shmorp" article?

Bruce Jenkins? http://sportsargumentwiki.com/index.php?title=Bruce_Jenkins

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I consider SKANK to be a very important statistic so Bruce Jenkins was right.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Wally Pipp was actually benched for sucking by Miller Huggins.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I've seen them put a gay couple on the kisscam at Staten Island at least once. If Staten Island can do this and not explode, so can you St Louis.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I think between innings stuff is only a problem I you go to a lot of games. I see the same poo poo all the time at Yankee Stadium and RCBP but that's just because I go so often. It's for the people who go a few times a year, which is probably most of the people at any given game.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I think it's fake!! So let me publish it anyway!!!

I thought he was going away?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

He said he was going away for a while but then never actually went away.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Badfinger posted:

I can't quite point out the way that article is stupid, but I know it is.

It has intangible stupidity.

Because Adam Dunn isn't near the end of his career. He hasn't even put in 10 years of service time. It's pretty goofy to write an article like that when the only possible conclusion is ~time will tell~.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

also his career OBP is .381 and Cameron talks about him like he's just a home run hitter or something

Well he also doesn't seem to know how loving good Gary Sheffield was so I just ignored that whole thing.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I just read a post on Fangraphs that is "Mariano Rivera is a good pitcher because he does whatever he wants with his pitches" (not as true for the two seamer but you get my point). I guess I'm supposed to be impressed by the color maps but it contains zero new info.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/riveras-cutters-working-the-count/

e: There's a chance I'm also tired of seeing 7,000 articles about Mariano. It's like everyone's backup. Hey, let's put up something about how Mariano is a freak

leokitty fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 20, 2010

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Yeah I mean the hot spot graphs are cool, the guys who do Pending Pinstripes use them a lot. It's just info that a huge amount of outlets have already done, in even cooler ways. Like the NY Times and that big writeup.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

It is really weird to see a guy described as "one of the leading authorities on LeBron James".

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

If THN is like the Sweet Spot for baseball, it was probably started as a labor of love by one of their basketball writers. Now the dudes in suits have decided that they have to give the Heat Index all of the possible Miami Heat related traffic and welp.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Badfinger posted:

In conclusion, Will Carroll is a fat stupid rear end in a top hat.

Been this way for a while!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

My question is how has Filip Bondy held a job writing his bullshit for so long?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

A drat FOG posted:

Haha oh my god, this is so great it might be a troll.

It is a troll it's Filip Bondy.

Here's his recent article history: http://bit.ly/9fyxi7

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

bishnu posted:

I guess this should be posted here. The Washington Post has just announced a content exchange partnership with...The Bleacher Report?

Jesus loving Christ

That is terrible. :psyduck:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I'm sure their quality is just going to go through the roof now!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

quote:

Jaworski: I saw it from Ben when we met with him Sunday, I texted him all along while having those issues and I think he’s a guy that has matured.

:stare:

1) Describing his behavior as "having those issues" makes me want to puke.
2) Texting!!!!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Be careful to puff her up with lots of praise and then, when you find a convenient place, do not hesitate to take what you seek and to embrace her by force. For you can hardly soften their outward inflexibility so far that they will grant you their embrace quietly or permit you to have the solaces you desire unless first you use a little compulsion as a convenient cure for their shyness.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The broken bones posted:

why is it that Philadelphia is like the only place on the planet where black baseball players get undeserved praise and white baseball players are treated with contempt?

Guilt over their horrible treatment of Dick Allen

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Murray Chass' 2009 Hall of Fame Ballot: Jack Morris, Jim Rice

I think that explains him completely.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

haljordan posted:

Is he one of those NO PLAYER GETS IN ON THE FIRST BALLOT jagoffs?

Don't think so, he was a writer for the NY TImes for 40 or 50 years or something so he has only been able to vote since 2008 when he was fired.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Badfinger posted:

Oh hey guys, just passing through. Gonna leave this here on my way out don't mind me.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/14385897/yanks-cut-drama-and-give-jeter-what-he-wants

Thanks, laters.

I ... I thought that was written by the Doyel troll but when I clicked I learned that, no, it is from Scott Miller.

Jesus

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Smoltz just got a hell of a lot cooler in my eyes. Not that he wasn't cool or whatever to begin with.

He is really bad in the booth even if he's not a bad guy, but if he's trying like that it gives me hope he'll get better. David Cone wasn't good his first year and then he was awesome and then he was gone :(

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Lee of course would have been a good signing for the Yankees but nonstop hyperbole is coming out of asses across the area today, he's just following the trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Also who's the second free agent Boston signed for 100million+ ...?