Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

jeffersonlives posted:

I assume he's referring to Adrian Gonzalez, neither a free agent nor extended yet.

That still makes his statement wrong because then there'd be four deals.

God I hate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

For people who don't read the Baseball Hall thread, I thought this was a good insight into some of the bizarre bad thinking of baseball journalists.

If you're lazy contrast the bolded paragraph with the finalists.

quote:

I'm going to mail out my Hall of Fame Ballot later this week and I would like to get some input from you, the reader.

First of all, let me preface all of this by saying that in my opinion, the Hall has been watered down so much that it doesn't have the true meaning anymore that it once did.

To me there is only one category of ball players that should be considered for the Hall of Fame. That category consists of those once in a generation type ball players that were dominant at their position during the era they played in for an extended period of time. These are players who changed the way the game was played and managed.

For hitters it meant that that you didn't want to pitch to them; you would rather walk them and concede the base runner. And if you did pitch to them, in hindsight, you regretted not walking them.

For pitchers it meant that you didn't want to hit against them; you altered your lineup, advised your players to alter approach at the plate, and in the end, none of it mattered anyway.

While only considering all time, once in a generation dominant players of their era extremely limits those that would be considered for the Hall of Fame, I'm not totally inflexible about considering players whose dominance existed for a shorter period of time. While there is no specific time period I have in mind as a cut off, the shorter the time, the more dominant the player would have had to be to be inducted. I like to call this the Sandy Koufax category. Sandy was so dominant for the 5 year period between 1962—1966 that his Hall of Fame status can't be denied.

In short, the MLB Hall of Fame should be reserved for the immortals of the sports. In 1936, when the hall of fame was created five "immortals" of the sport were inducted; Ty Cobb, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Christy Mathewson and Walter Johnson. If you take that bar and only induct players with the prowess of those individuals, there certainly would be many less players in the Hall.

Here's the list of thirty three eligible players on this year's HOF ballot. I've scratched out the obvious players who are eligible, those who were never considered one of the best who played at their position to begin with. I've also scratched out the compilers; unless they were dominant and feared...., no cigar. 25 years of average or even above average play that places a players cumulative statistics among the all time leaders is not excellence, it's simply a good MLB player who was able to play for a long time.

Of the guys remaining, you tell me who fits the criteria I laid out.

After we narrow this down, we can then talk about whether the steroid issue should affect any of those still not crossed out.

Roberto Alomar, Carlos Baerga, Jeff Bagwell, Harold Baines, Bert Blyleven, Bret Boone, Kevin Brown, John Franco, Juan Gonzalez, Marquis Grissom, Lenny Harris, Bobby Higginson, Charles Johnson, Barry Larkin, Al Leiter, Edgar Martinez, Tino Martinez, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Mark McGwire, Raul Mondesi, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, John Olerud, Rafael Palmeiro, Dave Parker, Tim Raines, Kirk Rueter, Benito Santiago, Lee Smith, B.J. Surhoff, Alan Trammell, Larry Walker.

(Former beat writer for the Expos) http://www.athbaseball.com/2010-archives/december/2011-mlb-hall-of-fame-ballot-help.html

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The show is taped a week ahead of time (or it was planned to, I am not sure if they've changed that) which I think is a big drawback.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

morestuff posted:

A friend of mine who works at the AV Club told me they'd already filmed the entire season, so I wouldn't expect anything topical. I could have misinterpreted what she was saying, though.

I don't think they've filmed the whole season, but I could find out. Either way, it's not going to be the TDS of Sports or anything.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Bimbo makes good bread.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Onion Sportsdome posted a 1.1, that is a big dropoff from Tosh.0 but not bad. I haven't looked at the demo numbers yet.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

There's some quotable stuff you can pick out of there. My two personal favorites: Will Leitch being so seemingly disgusted by what Daulerio's done with the site that that the two don't talk about Deadspin anymore, and the revelation thatDaulerio kept a video of what might have been a rape on Deadspin for about a day.

What the gently caress was the video in question :psyduck:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Christ. Well part of the problem is that Denton pays his writers a base salary + unique visitors/pageviews so it's how the employees make monies.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

King Kaufman left Salon to work at Bleacher Report, he is the "manager of writer development".

Good luck to him but unless they're going to start paying people I don't see how the quality will improve a whole lot.

quote:

After 14 years as a writer and editor at Salon, I have signed on at Bleacher Report as manager of writer development. My main job here is to try to help improve the overall quality of the writing.

That's a big goal for Bleacher Report this year. To this point, my new bosses tell me, the site has concentrated on getting itself established and then growing. Now, it's time to raise the level of discourse, as it were. Imagine the state of things if they're bringing me in to raise the level of discourse!

I kid, I kid. But listen, I know Bleacher Report's reputation. "Enjoy your SEO dominance while it lasts Bleacher Report!" read a tweet by my virtual friend, MSNBC baseball blogger Craig Calcaterra. It was a reference to a Wall Street Journal blog post about Google's plan to limit search results for content farms. For the record, Calcaterra didn't know about my hiring when he posted that, and offered kind and encouraging words when he heard.

Another twitterer, Bill Parker of the ESPN SweetSpot blog the Platoon Advantage, responded to the news that I'd joined Bleacher Report by writing, "Seriously? Nothing in the world makes sense anymore."

Meaning it used to?

And one more: A month ago, Jay Jaffe of Baseball Prospectus, another virtual friend, which is to say we've never met but we've played against each other in a Scoresheet baseball league, corresponded via e-mail and he even sat in for me at the Salon column one time, tweeted, "Is there a Firefox extension or setting that can automatically disregard Bleacher Report URLs in Google results?"

That reputation isn't entirely unfair but it isn't entirely fair either. There is a lot of content on Bleacher Report and, while I would dispute that B/R is a content farm, a lot of that content is less than stellar. Some of it's quite good, though. I'll be honest: I don't see my job as getting rid of the less than stellar stuff.

Part of what Bleacher Report does is provide a forum and a community for people to blog about the sports they're passionate about. There are standards, but those standards are different from those at the New York Review of Books. There's room for people who just want to write for the fun of it, who aren't overly concerned that their offerings will not be winning them prizes -- or even praise from terrific, discerning writers like Craig Calcaterra and Jay Jaffe.

What I'm aiming to be a part of is helping the writers who have potential and an interest in improving to do just that. And we're also hoping to find more good writers and help them become even better writers.

How will we do all that? Well, I haven't even figured out where the bathroom is. First things first. And first, I'm going to be a Bleacher Report writer myself. When you next hear from me, I'll have taken an assignment, as featured columnists do. I want to see how the writing program looks from the writing side. I hope I'll be able to write regularly even after I've gotten my bearings.

If you don't know who I am, all that David Copperfield kind of stuff is on my writer page. If you want to read something I've written, I'm comfortable with you typing my name and any sports term you'd like into your favorite search engine.

If you do know me, you might guess that I'm excited to be working on one of the frontiers of what a year or two ago we were calling the future of journalism, at a startup, a disruptive business that's trying to rethink how things are done.

There is also some rumbling that this happened because Google said they're going to start docking content dump sites in the rankings.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Some of those content partnerships have already ended because of the quality of the content. If you look on WaPo you'll notice the box isn't there anymore.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I'm not sure what Gawker was going for with this redesign, honestly.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

I think it would be really good if I had an iPad but I don't so it loving sucks

edit: also they tried to copy the new Twitter layout but failed pretty miserably

I am pretty sure it's goofy on tablets too, it needs a better marker between story teases. They all bleed together.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I've decided that the one article preview while hoping you click on their not very enticing headlines HP is worse than the bunch of articles with <hr> tags the same basic color as the background HP.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

17 is legal in NY/NJ, and he's 24 not 30 so while it's kind of goofy it's not uncommon at all and not illegal.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Welp the Sanchez girl's full name and family info (including her dad's job!) are now being reported in various places. This is loving retarded and now her life is gonna suck for a while over something really stupid.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

For the gently caress of it: Age of consent in Connecticut is 16.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

loving Kate Hudson: totally embarrassing!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

That post highlights how terrible their new article layouts are.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I check it probably once a day late afternoon but I don't really find myself reading anything

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

This is really bad but all I can see when I read that statement from Brayant is

:qq: "I am so sad today," Bryant said. :qq:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have this conflicting gently caress the Po-Lice/Mass is a racist state thing going on that is in direct opposition to my gently caress Sportswriting/ESPN is the Worst thing. So much conflict.

Yeah that's why I felt really bad for reading it that way. Fully aware of Mass cops. :|

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

toadee posted:

Seriously, one time I got pulled over for having an inspection sticker 3 days expired and the conversation literally started with a city cop screaming 'ARE YOU loving INSANE YOUR UNSAFE PIECE OF poo poo COULD KILL SOMEONE GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE CAR'. That's not really an uncommon sort of exchange around here (although State Troopers are usually a little bit more tactful), so honestly the details need to be a bit more solid before I pass any judgments.

What the gently caress? :psypop:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Don't link to BR all they care about is pageviews.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

Seriouspost where do Japan Base Ballers have spring training?

Most of them are in Miyazaki (Southern Japan) I think.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Why is that a "dream World Series" scenario

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

NL-AL rivalries are stupid and only really excite anyone when it's two teams whose fans are always yelling at each in the same city playing. Even if Boston and Philadelphia played in the WS it wouldn't suddenly become a RIVALRY.

I blame the New York teams all being really loving good for a long time for all of this

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Victim blaming alert beep beep

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/steigstory/04-10-2011-Steigerwald

quote:

Maybe it's time for sports fans to grow up.

As I'm writing this, Bryan Snow, a 42-year-old paramedic with two kids from Sacramento, is in a medically induced coma in a Los Angeles hospital with a fractured skull and serious brain injuries.

Part of his skull had to be removed to allow for the swelling of his brain.

Snow went to the Los Angeles Dodgers' home opener on April 1 wearing a San Francisco Giants jersey. That was obviously too much for two 20-something men wearing Dodger blue to handle. Witnesses say that after the game, they came up on Snow from behind in the parking lot, knocked him down and kicked him as they spewed expletives about the San Francisco Giants.

It's probably safe to say that the two "Dodgers" were high on something or things, but somewhere in their sick, juvenile minds, they probably also thought they were doing their duty as Dodger fans.

They were protecting Dodger turf.

Just before he was beaten to within an inch of his life, Snow texted some friends and said that he was "scared inside the stadium."

Maybe someone can ask Snow, if he ever comes out of his coma, why he thought it was a good idea to wear Giants' gear to a Dodgers' home opener when there was a history of out-of-control drunkenness and arrests at that event going back several years.

Remember when it was the kids who were wearing the team jerseys to games? It was a common sight to see an adult male coming through the turnstile dressed as a regular human being with a kid dressed in a "real" jersey holding his hand.

Cute.

Are the 42-year-olds who find it necessary to wear their replica jerseys to a road game, those kids who are now fathers who haven't grown up?

Are there really 40-something men who think that wearing the jersey makes them part of the team? It was cute when a 10-year-old kid got that feeling by showing up at Three Rivers Stadium in a Pirates jersey, but when did little boys stop growing out of that?

Here's tip for you if you actually think that wearing your team's jersey makes you a part of the team:

It doesn't.

The team is those guys down on the field, ice or court who are, you know, actually playing the games. They like the noise you make as a group, and they love playing in front of you. If you're an adult, and you approach them in a replica game jersey with their name on it and your face is painted, you scare them.

If you don't put that jersey on in the locker room with them and have your own name on your jersey, you're not one of them.

Let's review: If you're sitting in the stands, you're a spectator, a fan. If you're down on he field, you're part of the team.

Obviously, not every fan who wears his team's jersey to a game is looking for someone from "the enemy" to beat up. But maybe somebody should do a psychological study to find out if all those game jerseys have contributed to the new mob mentality that seems to exist in the stands these days.

There's an outside chance that alcohol plays a role but apparently, the teams have ruled that out and continue to sell $9 beers.

If you're one of two or three guys wearing Steelers jerseys sitting in the middle of the Dawg Pound in Cleveland, guess what? The Steelers players can't see you and even if they could, they're not really getting a lot of inspiration from you.

If you're set upon by a bunch of drunken adults wearing dog costumes, you probably shouldn't expect any help from the guys on the field who are wearing the jerseys that look just like yours.

Why not just go to the Browns game in Cleveland dressed as a regular human being? When did it become necessary to wear a uniform to the game?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

When I wear my A-Rod jersey to annoy my mother I think I am actually am A-Rod annoying my mother :smugdog:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Oh God no NOT WOMEN!!! NOT WOMEN!!! :supaburn:

I am more self reliant than this fucker by far I would bet.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

Deadspin posted a great compilation of excerpts wherein Bill Plaschke wonders stupidly aloud whether players are distracted by completely irrelevant things http://deadspin.com/#!5794419

Ugh that Lindsay Vonn quote still makes me angry. He has no idea about alpine skiing and does not understand how loving good she is.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

quote:

It’s the move New Yorkers have been waiting and praying for since Walter O’Malley abandoned them for the west coast a couple of generations ago.

Where does he get this from? All the Dodger crazies are long gone

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The broken bones posted:

The ones that are still around post, depressingly enough, at the Baseball Fever forums in the Brooklyn Dodgers subforum.

They'll have an established fanbase of tens! HUGE!

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Keep on eating that cereal, don't let the bastards grind you down

leokitty fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 25, 2011

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I'm mourning the death of my baseball son how can I be expected to have a sense of humor :negative:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Author photos are great

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Ted Williams actually sat out and got dinged up quite a bit in the middle/end stages of his career

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

quote:

Even Will Leitch, the founding editor of Deadspin and one of Daulerio's closest friends, has gotten a little queasy. At first, Leitch talked with Daulerio constantly about the site, hashing out ideas and offering advice. But in July 2009, when Daulerio posted a link to the Erin Andrews stalker video, Leitch thought he went too far. They remain close but no longer talk about Deadspin. Leitch, now a writer for New York magazine, told me he wouldn't have published the Favre photos: "I never wanted people to feel like they needed to take a shower."

Daulerio is exactly the kind of person Nick Denton wants working for him

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I think that piece is supposed to be some kind of dark comedy bit but it's just really bad.

Also my favorite thing about his dumb Haiti column is the idea that they can just rebuild with modern structures instead of shanty towns because he suggests it

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The Grantland header is terrible, the quote text is unreadable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Ugh when did MLB hire Terrence Moore :(