Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The only good thing Murray Chass has done was an awesome hit job on Selena Roberts for her lovely A-Rod defamation book because it didn't name any of the sources that gave her the juiciest information since it was most likely bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ForbiddenWonder posted:

MMA 'journalism' has to be worst overall out of any of the 'major' sports. Josh Gross sucks a lot, and 90% of the online stuff is atrocious in every way.

Dave Meltzer's fine but Kevin Iole is the loving worst

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

Back when I cared I'd write a troll article and it'd get linked to on every CBS-owned website there is.

Even CNET?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Simmons has his moments. I liked that column he did about opening his eyes to sabermetrics through its usefulness in fantasy baseball.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Every fan graphs blog post is exactly this:

State thesis based on a current event

Lazily quote xFIP or wRC+

Compare to much better player

Come to an irrelevant conclusion

Also

Identify player who having an uncharacteristically good or bad season

Cite BABIP, LD% and some other things.

Say they will regress

:smug: I am a baseball genius :smug:

woof! woof! woof! woof!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

purkey posted:

wait that's just what we do in the n/v threads

Nobody here is claiming to be an expert or is writing articles on it

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Solution: Get rid of all the retarded between innings jumbotron horseshit

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
whoa whoa whoa !!first off if i get kissed im punching someone out, the last time i was on kiss cam i got arrested my case is in march. she was not at all amused i got excited, sorry , anyway ,if this happens will we get barf bags like airplane flights?? enough with the gays!! dont ask don't tell. no punches thrown cappech!!

The best part is that this guy's username is THE ONE AND ONLY BIG AL

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I say to each his/her own.BUT.....the ballgame draw families and gays kissing is NOT appropriote for young kids.Sorry.Yes you can be gay...that is fine...but I don't HAVE to teach my children that IT is NORMAL because it isn't. It has become a fad a cooll thing "to be gay",I don't believe that many people are BORN this way.So do as you like,I will tolerate it fine but I WILL NOT TEACH MY CHILDREN IT IS NORMAL

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the best part is that people are afraid that the cam will show them next to their guy friend, and that means they will literally be forced to kiss them due to the Kiss Cam Laws

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tender Bender posted:

I get that we take baseball seriously and poo poo during the game is dumb but really, are we hating on between-inning stuff? GOD DAMMIT TURN DOWN THAT MUSIC AND LET ME JUST EAT MY HOT DOG AND CROSSCHECK MY SCORECARD WITH GAMEDAY IN PEACE

Well, at least find better poo poo. Dump things like THE GREAT SUBWAY RACE, Zales Scoreboard Dude, and YMCA. The fan trivia and sausage races and stuff are good. At least the Yankees got rid of Cotton Eyed Joey.

Oh yeah also get rid of God Bless America

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

chutwig posted:

I am horrified by the thought that Dave Cameron will find a female foolish enough to reproduce with him.

He's already married

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

stuart scott irl posted:

Seriously though, the way Philly fandom latches on to replacement level players and becomes obsessed with their "contributions" is loving maddening. Everyone loving LOVES Valdez right now.

I think every fanbase does this, though. It took months of sub-replacement hitting and my constant bitching to convince my dad that Francisco Cervelli has no business being on a major league team.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The broken bones posted:

I liked this:

I'm sure he's happy he wrote this before FJM happened

I'm more offended he used loving "Webster's defines..."

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kim Jong Il posted:

This was on Primer today, and holee shittt

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/letters/articles/2010/10/14/a_swing_and_a_miss_in_ted_williams_tribute/

Still not sure he's worse than Selena Roberts though.

He isn't. If Ted Williams is so much greater than A-Rod, then why is he dead, frozen, and having his head used as a ball by lab techs? :colbert:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Amalie's kinda dumb but I guess not even close to the worst in her profession.

I can't remember the specifics, but she made up this stat a few months ago that was heavily reliant on RBIs.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I thought it was great except for the A-Rod part. It felt like a joke from 2004.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well you see this one time I saw women, ahem, "getting crunk" in a "nightclub" to some wildly inappropriate "hip hop." The lyrics repeatedly mentioned "bitch" and "ho," and the women loved it, so therefore all women love being degraded.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jonah Keri is too good for Fangraphs

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

leokitty posted:

I'm not sure what Gawker was going for with this redesign, honestly.

"We wanted synergy between the quality of our articles and the appearance of our sites."

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Mark Sanchez's homeland is Mexico as much as my homeland is France

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

I CHALLENGE THEE posted:

Sportswriters and/or Forbes writers are all old white men she is probably dead

Well tell him you tried but she was too busy rolling over in her grave in shame

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
On a scale from Joe Posnanski (1) to AJ Daulerio (10), where does he fall

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Grantland looks like a tumblr someone threw together in 3 minutes

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ian O'Connor is beside himself because Derek Jeter pulled a muscle.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/columns/story?columnist=oconnor_ian&id=6658934

quote:

… if Jeter were available to comment after his MRI he surely would’ve said he would return to the lineup the only way he knows how—ASAP. No captain who busted up his cover-boy face on a teeth-first dive into the stands against Boston in 2004 and then played against the Mets the following night would ever allow a silly little calf strain to keep him down for long … It was something that reminded all witnesses of Jeter’s extensive wear and tear, and of a noble willingness to play hurt that reminded Monahan of certified ruffians the likes of Thurman Munson.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm laughing my rear end off at the concept of a "sinister Scrabble game"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
He still had that Rick Reilly Touch even back then

quote:

Sending Schott to sensitivity training is like sending a pickpocket to a Rolex convention

:pwn:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bob Shabazz posted:

hahaha 63% say yes

Can't wait for the :qq: articles when he gets like 1%

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bigass Moth posted:

3000 hits is kind of a Big Deal but he is having such an ungodly lovely year that they really should't be hyping it so much...but The Captain, etc.

I hate Jeter now as much as the next guy, but...really? They shouldn't hype it up because he's bad now? I can't even begin to count how many things are wrong with that statement. At the very least did you consider that most players are well into their decline by the time they get to 3000 hits? Biggio had been in decline for years (masked by his home park). George Brett had a .397 slugging percentage the year he hit 3000.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
CC Sabathia just threw a complete game shutout. His last 4 starts: 31.2 IP, 22 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 6 BB, 42 K.

Seems like a good time to remind everyone what a retarded piece of poo poo Mike Lupica is!!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
He might have done better if he weren't using the retarded gesture pitching mode

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
He deserves it but this is a textbook example of "A broken clock is right twice a day"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bret Boone probably avoids Seattle but you don't think Nintendo would pony up the cash for Ichiro? And A-Rod would probably make up for Boone and sustain it.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think we all knew Jim Bowden was a retard but wow

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post?id=765
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post?id=715

Highlights:

-Lists the entire AL Central save the Royals as contenders
-Says the White Sox, who are getting no production from the DH or outfield, need to get a setup man since that's their primary need
-Says the Yankees, who are running out CC Sabathia and 4 time bombs, have a primary need of reliever and backup 3B
-Says Randy Choate, who has a 1.33 ERA and the highest K/9 of his career this year, can "bounce back" if traded
-"Bartlett’s winning attitude would work well with the Brewers"
-Pirates need an "RBI bat"
-"...the lack of a true ace is a big reason the Twins have been swept in the first round of the playoffs the past two Octobers" a year after Francisco Liriano had an amazing season

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Smoak has been terrible for like 2 months now.

April: .920 OPS
May: .750 OPS
June: .737 OPS
July: .402 OPS

He has a .334(!!!!) OPS since being scratched from the lineup on June 25. He's probably injured, but he's playing so it counts all the same.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's advertising an article from that gigantic idiot Schoenfield, too.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/!/richarddeitsch/status/117703321946570752

quote:

Deadspin announced today at #bwb4 that they have met with Jay Mariotti about writing a sports media column for the site.

Deadspin is trying to be the sportswriting version of Al Qaeda at this point

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MorningView posted:

There are no depths Deadspin can sink to that will surprise me at this point.

Why 9/11 Needs To Happen Again Except A Million Times Bigger Also Some Musings on Peyton Manning by AJ Daulerio

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Joel Sherman thinks the Yankees should sign Carlos Beltran. The Yankees do not have holes at any of the positions he can play. Let's see how this would work.

quote:

Here is a question: Can the Yankees have Beltran and Swisher? Forget about the finances for a moment. Simply, could manager Joe Girardi find the at-bats for everyone?

It would be difficult. But remember that the Yankees want to turn their DH slot into more of a group effort. Even without Beltran, the Yankees probably envision a 2012 campaign in which Montero DHs about 80 games and catches 80 games, as an apprentice season to see if he can do that because Russell Martin can be a free agent after next season.

In the other 80 or so games, the DH slot would be divvied up by mostly the Yankees’ older players, such as Alex Rodriguez.
Beltran has said he does not want to DH. But could the Yankees sell him on 50-60 games at DH in 2012 and 80-90 as a corner outfielder? That still leaves 100 DH games to divvy up elsewhere. Then could Girardi divvy up the corner outfield play among Beltran, Swisher and Brett Gardner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
What loving world do we live in that Cowherd, Plaschke, and Whitlock are voices of reason and Joe Posnanski is a drooling moron on this subject?