Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Badfinger posted:

And also the weird air of reporting where people are more focused on Paterno than on Sandusky. It may shock some people to learn that Joe Paterno is not, in fact, a child molester.

This has been repeated a lot by both media and non-media: Sandusky is going to get his day in court, he's going to be punished, and unfortunately he'll probably be raped and murdered in jail. Sandusky is doomed. There's no point in repeating what we all know about Sandusky.

Paterno on the other hand has been extremely narcissistic throughout this entire process, which has rubbed off on thousands of PSU students and alumni who think he's done nothing wrong. He will probably just pay off some lawsuits after covering this whole thing up for years and be revered as a martyr for the rest of his miserable life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Well you hated him because of one admittedly air-headed article about Ron Gardenhire, I think this is a wildly different situation

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think they do, actually. It doesn't really give a good explanation as to why we should give Paterno the benefit of the doubt, and it SURELY doesn't explain his loving Katrina comment.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

AlleyViper posted:

That has to be addition by subtraction for Deadspin, right?

I don't think that applies to things that are irreparably broken.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The BBWAA is so goddamn dumb.

http://bbwaa.com/conlin-statement/

quote:

Statement on Bill Conlin, winner of the 2011 J.G. Taylor Spink Award:

“Bill Conlin has been a member in good standing of the BBWAA since 1966. The allegations have no bearing on his winning the 2011 J.G. Taylor Spink Award, which was in recognition of his notable career as a baseball writer.”

-Jack O’Connell, BBWAA secretary/treasurer
Dec. 20, 2011

Jesus loving Christ.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Moe_Rahn posted:

the yankees should retire brad lidge's number because he was instrumental in their 2009 world series win

That was so great. He looked like old Brad Lidge for 2 batters and then Damon came up and the charade ended.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
New Yankee Stadium will have 2-3 entire sections empty (I assume they're reserved or something) and they're pretty much at 45-52k every game.

On that note it is really fascinating watching clips of the dynasty years and seeing the upper deck in right pretty much completely empty. My dad always talks about how he could just go up and get a ticket on gameday until A-Rod was brought in.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I have to imagine Will Leitch isn't too happy about that rear end in a top hat ruining his baby

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jon Heyman made a "best signings of the offseason" list. It's worse than I could have ever imagined.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/33714192/34892221

1. Francisco Cordero 2. Brad Lidge 3. Carlos Beltran 4. Ryan Madson 5. Alex Gonzalez 6. Joel Pineiro 7. Chris Capuano 8. Paul Maholm 9. Lyle Overbay 10. Jon Garland 11. Ryan Spilborghs 12. Mike MacDougal 13. Kosuke Fukudome 14. Micah Owings 15. Jonny Gomes 16. K-Rod

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Need a laugh today?

http://waswatching.com/2008/08/31/yanks-should-trade-cano-this-off-season/

quote:

Yanks Should Trade Cano This Off-Season
Posted by Steve L. on August 31st, 2008 · Comments (11)

Things are bad these days for Robinson Cano. Via Kevin Kernan -

It was fitting that the Yankees turned sure victory into defeat yesterday when Robinson Cano made a lazy, backhanded flip on what should have been a double-play ball in the seventh inning and the Yankees leading by four.

Cano was a no-show after the game, ducking out of the clubhouse while reporters surrounded Alex Rodriguez

The Cano play showed just why the Yankees are in the hole they are in this season. Cano simply lost focus and made the flip in a nonchalant manner. Joe Girardi said it was not a nonchalant play, but a smooth play. He was trying to protect his player. He compared it to the kind of plays Roberto Alomar used to make, but I covered Alomar from the time he was a rookie with the Padres on an everyday basis for three years and never saw that kind of play.

The Yankees first mistake this year was giving Cano a four-year contract extension that guarantees him $30 million. They also should have kept coach Larry Bowa. Bowa had a way of keeping Cano focused. Players will make errors, but these lack of focus errors are the real killers.

Looks like those “baseball people” back in January were right on about Cano.

Back on January 15, 2008, I warned Yankees fans that Cano might not be the next great star that many believed that he would become for New York. And, based on his batting results this season, that warning is starting to look good.

In fact, way back on November 5, 2005, I suggested that the Yankees should take this approach with Robinson Cano:

quote:

Personally, I would “Roberto Kelly” him. Let him stay here for a year or two. You know that he can handle New York and the post-season spotlight. (That’s good.) Maybe he starts to do more things at the plate – and then you keep him. But, if he stays the way he is – productive to some on the surface but also not giving signals underneath of potential improvement – then you trade him, say, around 2007 or 2008 (and hopefully get a Paul O’Neill type in return).

Looks like it’s time, now, to do the Roberto Kelly thing, huh?

For next season, if the Yankees went out and got a journey-man middle infielder with a solid glove, who was just so-so with the bat, he might be just as serviceable to them at second as playing Cano….if they could then trade Cano for another player who could fill another need on the team…and it would rid the team of someone who’s attitude has to be questioned at this point.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think the guy who runs SB Nation saw The Verge doing their videos extremely well and just figured "Well hey if those COMPUTER NERDS can do that poo poo, anyone can!!"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Which is the same guy so...yeah?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also congrats on Lindsay for writing a big article on inverted W, which I think is as old as some fossils.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm not going to link it because he's a worthless Tigers homer hack that doesn't deserve the page views, but Jon Morosi just wrote a column about how Dodgers fans should and will be thankful and grateful to Frank McCourt for selling the team to Magic Johnson

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Posnanski told a class that he thought the media was skewering him and being too hard on him for no reason or something.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
"We want to do something creative with the head shots. Make 'em really stand out. Can you do that, Josh?"
"Sure thing." *presses Live Trace in Illustrator*

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The broken bones posted:

Camerons the new wave of Bill Plaschkes, where at some point he's going to stop listening to criticism and just publish whatever garbage he feels like because it gets page views and being relevant is more important than enlightening people.

He will probably outlast Bill Baer, Mike Petriello, Mark Simon, Cistulli, etc., because he literally doesn't give a poo poo about being wrong.

He does give a poo poo about being wrong, which is why he'll tell you he's actually right in the form of multiple blog posts.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

That's the hit he was paralyzed on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
That guy is like double behind the times. He's writing a column in 2015 that would have made Fire Joe Morgan in 2006.