Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Apparently (this is something I've heard from people that would know) the White Sox FO still asks Hawk for his opinions on operations decisions. The White Sox did not employ a defensive overshift for like four seasons because Hawk doesn't believe in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
MLBAM has started easing up on the restrictions on posting videos online and At Bat is the best sports app out there [sponsored post]

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

MourningView posted:

Neither do the bulk of their viewers.

Yeah, honestly, blame the casual fan for that. It's not ESPN's fault that no one gives a poo poo unless there's a nationally popular team in the news.

For instance, if you look at the World Series ratings from the past decade, notice the markets and games that drew the highest ratings (New York, Boston, game 7s, etc) and compare that to the rest of the years. There is a definite spike in interest depending on the market and how long the series goes.

Dick Williams fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 13, 2013

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

haljordan posted:

Why is baseball the sport where, much more than the others, the people voting for Hall of Famers want more attention than the actual athletes? The amount of self-serving lazy articles that get spewed out every year is so incredibly awful.

Baseball has always been dominated by the written word rather than through images since the early days of the game (mainly because baseball has been around since like forever). Old-timey baseball articles were always written with a certain reverence toward the game with a touch of editorial proselytizing and these writers passed on the smarmy self-importance rather than the quality writing.

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
When it comes to any sportswriter penning any article about steroids just don't click on it and imagine the writer just jumping up and down showing "look at me look at me gimme dem page views" instead

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Knobler is apparently a pretty decent person outside of the fact that he looks like a Tim and Eric character and his anti-A-Rod rants so I hope he ends up somewhere

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005
Canseco's account has been run by a marketing firm since like 2011 and the Iron Sheik is most definitely not him actually writing it (not that it really matters for either of them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Williams
Aug 25, 2005

toadee posted:

How the hell can Jose Canseco pay for a marketing firm? Isn't he broke like 10 times over?

They probably pay him to use his name. I mean, hell, the bear sterns thing with horse_ebooks the buzzfeed dude paid for that account. It wouldn't surprise me if someone did the same with Canseco