Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I still can't believe that internet ads are considered a viable thing to do in any capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

DildenAnders posted:

Corny name aside, we have to make sure Defector sticks around.

They seem to be doing well and don't have a mandate or desire to try to grow indefinitely leading to stupid decisions.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Lockback posted:

Digital coupons, job boards, craigslist/FB marketplace really took away probably the core reason so many people actually interacted with newspapers. For most, journalism was mostly window dressing.

I dunno about this. Reading the paper was an every-morning activity, complete with swapping sections when people were done reading and stuff. I suppose this might not have been a typical experience.

My neighbor from back home still mails me clippings from the Boston Globe that she thinks I might find interesting periodically. :unsmith:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Can we just ban all Porters in the NBA until we figure out what is going on?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Roth actually spoke on this on the last ep of The Distraction. Former pitcher Steve Carlton went full proto-Qanon after retiring, up to and including living fully off the grid and willingly giving interviews and sharing dozens of mutually conflicting conspiracy theories.

This has always been a specific but rare archetype of humanity: the kook. Back in the day, getting this deep down the rabbit hole involved getting onto weird mailing lists, reading pamphlets and newsletters, and then writing to ads in the back of those mailings to get onto the really crazy poo poo. It took work, dedication, and literacy.

Nowadays, its spoon fed. If you have even a slight tolerance or proclivity to what these idiots are selling, it is trivially easy to get and what you do get is highly optimized to drive you toward more.

So yeah, we are broke brained from covid, biologically, pharmacologically, socially, economically. But also, we are rats in a cage with the cocaine lever in paw's reach. The rabbit hole has never been larger and now has a lubricated gradient leading in.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

Thankfully the snowfall from the last two winters - the 22/23 mountain snowfall was the most in recorded history - has actually caused the reservoir and lake levels to go up, including the Great Salt Lake.

It felt like I brought the planet's worst loving drought with me when I moved here in 2018, but the last two winters are expected to bring the Great Salt Lake up to its highest level in 5+ years in time for summer.

I knew next to nothing about Utah before I moved here as a remote work with my wife for her new, and weird, teaching job where she gets to write her own custom curriculum - there was Salt Lake City, Provo, mountains, and some national parks. Coming from a place where water has never been an issue, I had no idea the lakes here were in that bad a shape.

I'm going to Logan, Utah next week for some stupid corporate growth summit/workshop and can't say I'm looking forward to it. Is there anything I should do while visiting?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is dirty soda a Mormon thing or something? Like how they do super saturated sugar solutions as drinks?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I've always heard of the Fortified Soda thing referred to as Brigham's Brew. But that may be a specific varietal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

One thing I've learned here is that mountains never stop being really pretty if you didn't grow up near them and/or take them for granted. However, Idaho & Wyoming are pretty much flat, depressing, and really loving windy if you're on the Interstate.

Driving I-80 through Wyoming was, I think, the first time I've been seriously scared for long stretches of time driving through something other than heavy & aggressive traffic. I can't remember where, but there are places on I-80 in Wyoming where they have electronic signs telling you what the current crosswind speeds are because they're frequently over 55 MPH. Driving through that with a Speed Limit of 80? gently caress that.

I remember going to Jackson Hole for a wedding and flying in late at night. Basically just checked in and went to bed. The next morning when I woke up, stepped outside, and saw all the mountains I was floored.