Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

barkingclam posted:

I will admit that Deadspin has really gotten one thing right under Daulerio: their Dead Wrestler of the Week series is really good. What sounds like (and really should be, since so much of their content is) a gimmick/snarky look at wrestling is always a insightful look at the personalities behind 'sports entertainment.'

This week's piece on Owen Hart is one of the best examples of this. If you've never read this series, it's a good place to start.

Came in here to post this. That piece was loving unbelievably well-written. Helps if you were a fan of wrestling when Owen was around, but god drat, Masked Man has put out some great pieces.

I like that the comments section for the articles, unlike EVERY OTHER SECTION of Deadspin, doesn't turn into some stupid circlejerk where a bunch of unfunny assholes quote random parts of the article and make the most obscure joke possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

stuart scott irl posted:

This is apparently an "article" by a "writer"

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2010/09/in_pitching_all_that_matters_a.html

The gently caress is this poo poo :stare:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

fsif posted:

Nathan Bernhardt @jonbernhardt
I've got a lot of angry thoughts about this I won't air publicly, but one I will air is this: Grantland was killed by ideology, not budget.
2:06 PM - 30 Oct 2015

I'm guessing the point being that the ~*big media dawgs*~ want to guide sports discourse down a more lowbrow, clickbaity, easily digestible path? I'd probably say that's a fair point.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

davecrazy posted:

I doubt they care very much what the content in, the only metric that matters is how much revenue it brings in vs how much it costs.

Fair, but that's a sort of ipso facto situation, honestly.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Gay But Crush Puss posted:

probably still be dealing with 50 year old whiteguy single sentence paragraph takewarriors

Gonna derail the discussion for a second to address this. Why is this a thing? Is it standard sports journalistic practice? Is it that sports writers assume their base readership is too dumb or has too short an attention span to handle anything more than a single sentence per paragraph? Are they themselves too dumb to combine several thoughts into a paragraph? Some ridiculous combination of all of the above? It's something that has stuck out like a sore thumb for me for years.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

:stonk:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Couldn't help but ignore the colon in this headline

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

General Dog posted:

So is Zach Lowe actually autistic or is that just a running joke?

Autistic is harsh but he's a bit awkward when he interviews people and has a real thin skin on Twitter. Nothing unusual though.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Jota posted:

Nice suicide, pretty boy.

This is perfect hahahaha

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

AsInHowe posted:

Apparently, someone's old book is getting tweeted about, and it isn't Bill O'Reilly's Those Who Trespass.

https://storify.com/AngelaShelbyCo/since-we-re-talking-about-clay-travis

jesus christ

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Can someone link to the Clay Travis profile? Having trouble finding it

Edit: Never mind, I was able to find it. Easier on computer than phone

illcendiary fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 21, 2017

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Dude don't complain about what he did and then do the same thing the next sentence

The post/username combo here hahaha

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/alangoldsher/status/1190341197023322113?s=21

:shrug:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

A lot of their high-profile writers in general just can't help gush about every single player in every league, and the writing and podcasting suffers for it. There are times when I just switch off the podcasts because every criticism is couched with "don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE (Player XYZ)" and it gets really grating. They need to have a little more conviction with their takes, right or wrong.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

If there’s anything reading Lords of the Realm has taught me, it’s that the American public will always side with capital over labor, literally always irrespective of era. Some of those stories from the early days were ridiculous

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

What’s it gonna be Deion, racism or misogyny?

“Both.”

https://youtu.be/_nffM4ulPDA

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

This one feels a long time coming, she hasn’t written an article or been on a podcast in months it seems. Hope she lands on her feet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Sinbad's Sex Tape posted:

Man I really love when people who agree with each other 99.99999% of the time decide to go scorched earth on each other

Right? Absolutely zero margin for error, all day every day. poo poo is exhausting